Zodiac

Started by MacGuffin, January 20, 2005, 01:26:15 AM

MacGuffin

Fincher eyes 'Zodiac' for Warners, Par
Source: Hollywood Reporter

David Fincher is hunting serial killers again. The director, who helmed 1995's "Seven," is in negotiations to direct "Zodiac," a thriller that Phoenix Pictures is producing. Warner Bros. Pictures and Paramount Pictures are partnering to distribute the film. Based on the books "Zodiac" and "Zodiac Unmasked" by Robert Graysmith, and adapted by James Vanderbilt, the movie centers on the men who hunted Zodiac, the infamous serial killer who terrorized San Francisco for 25 years. Producing are Phoenix's Mike Medavoy, Arnie Messer and Brad Fischer, Fincher's producing partner Cean Chaffin, and Jaime Vanderbilt. Warners and Paramount are co-financing, with Warners distributing internationally and Paramount handling the movie domestically. Lynn Harris and Greg Silverman are overseeing for Warners. Marc Evans is overseeing for Paramount.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Two Lane Blacktop

Quote from: MacGuffinFincher eyes 'Zodiac' for Warners, Par

Ah, cool.  The Zodiac Killer case has always freaked me out...  I've always thought it'd make a good movie, but I imagined it being a little grittier and mockumentary-like than Fincher will probably make it.  But still, this could be good.

2LB
Body by Guinness

MacGuffin

Gyllenhaal, Downey align for 'Zodiac'

Mark Ruffalo is in negotiations and Jake Gyllenhaal and Robert Downey have signed onto David Fincher's long-gestating thriller "Zodiac." Phoenix Pictures is producing.

Gyllenhaal will play Robert Graysmith, the journalist and author of the two books, "Zodiac" and "Zodiac Unmasked," upon which the film is based. Downey will play fellow reporter Paul Avery, and Ruffalo would play the San Francisco homicide inspector in charge of the case.

The books revolve around the real-life tale of a serial killer known as the Zodiac Killer, who terrorized San Francisco for 25 years. Graysmith and Avery worked at the San Francisco Chronicle, which the killer used as a conduit to communicate with authorities.

James Vanderbilt is adapting.

The two studios are co-financing the picture. Alli Shearmur and Marc Evans are overseeing for Paramount, which is handling domestic distribution. Lynn Harris, Greg Silverman and Geoff Shaevitz are overseeing for Warners, which is taking international output. Warners is the lead studio on the project.

Phoenix chairman Mike Medavoy, president Arnie Messer and vp production Brad Fischer are producing with Vanderbilt. Fincher's production partner, Cean Chaffin, also is producing.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

UncleJoey

That's cool. I really like Mark Ruffalo.
Well, I've got news for you pal, you ain't leadin' but two things: Jack and shit . . . and Jack just left town.

modage

That's cool.  I really like David Fincher.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Stefen

Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Two Lane Blacktop

I like all four of 'em.  I just hope the movie isn't slick and shiny...  it needs to be old, faded, grainy.  If I was making this movie, I'd shoot on Super8, or at least want it to come out looking like I did.  All my memories of the Zodiac Killer are from stuff I saw on TV or in the newspaper, so I'd make the movie like that-  sort of fake documentary style.  

And his costume would be less scary if if it was any less scruffy and patched-together.  

2LB
Body by Guinness

modage

its weird he's actually making another serial killer movie, though like i said i'm glad to just see he's making anything.  but i hope this isnt the Guero to Se7en's Odelay.  :yabbse-undecided:
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

meatball

Even though Ruffalo is older than Gyllenhaal I see them playing the exact same role. David, dump Jake and get Maggie.

Gold Trumpet

Fincher's a professional. Sometimes he realizes he can't get every project he wants and has to stay busy in the meantime. I'm hopeful for this project. Since Seven, he has become a better filmmaker.

modage

damn, where's a forum when you need one!?!

Fincher Helming Zodiac & Benjamin Button
Source: Variety July 5, 2005

Paramount Pictures and Warner Bros. Pictures have signed David Fincher to direct Zodiac, starring Mark Ruffalo, and The Curious Case of Benjamin Button, with Brad Pitt and Cate Blanchett, back-to-back.

Variety says Fincher (Panic Room) is in pre-production on Zodiac, which also stars Robert Downey Jr., Jake Gyllenhaal and Anthony Edwards. Production is slated to start in September, with Jamie Vanderbilt adapting from Robert Graysmith's "Zodiac" and 2002 sequel "Zodiac Unmasked: The Identity of America's Most Elusive Serial Killer Revealed." Shooting will take place in San Francisco - where the Zodiac Killer operated starting in the late 1960s - and in Los Angeles.

Warner is taking the lead on producing Zodiac. Paramount will handle domestic distribution while Warner will handle international.

Par and Warner are aiming for Fincher to start lensing "Benjamin Button" in October 2006. Pitt and Blanchett currently are starring in Paramount's Babel. "Button" will mark the third time Pitt has teamed with Fincher following Se7en and Fight Club.

"Benjamin Button" is produced by Kathleen Kennedy and Frank Marshall with a script by Eric Roth (Forrest Gump). The film centers on a man who, at age 50, begins aging backward and the complications that ensue when he falls in love with a woman of 30. The story's been set in New Orleans.

Paramount is taking the lead on "Button" and handling domestic distribution; Warner will market the film in foreign territories.

MacGuffin

Jim Gordon Investigates Zodiac
Oldman joins cast of Fincher thriller.

Variety says Gary Oldman (Batman Begins) has joined the cast of director David Fincher's forthcoming true crime thriller Zodiac. The project is based on the books by author Robert Graysmith, who will be played in the film by Jake Gyllenhaal. The cast also includes Mark Ruffalo, Robert Downey Jr., and Anthony Edwards.

Oldman will play famed attorney Melvin Belli, the "King of Torts," who received a letter from the Zodiac killer in 1969. Ironically, Belli was the attorney for Jack Ruby, the man who killed Lee Harvey Oswald (played in JFK by Gary Oldman).

Oldman's credits include Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban, The Professional, Hannibal, and Bram Stoker's Dracula.

Zodiac begins filming in September.

Skeleton FilmWorks

modage

grand theft sparrow

This has officially become the best movie ever made.

SiliasRuby

All they need now is to have John C. Reilly be in it and have QT film a small segment of the film
The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection