Planning?

Started by SoNowThen, September 15, 2003, 09:30:09 AM

SoNowThen

Scorsese used to storyboard everything, now he just does the big sequences. Fincher pre-plans every shot on a computer. Godard never planned anything more than half a day in advance.

So what did Stanley do, from Lolita onward? Because of course all his compositions and lighting patterns are famously over-stylized. So did he pre-draw every shot, then go in with the whole crew generally knowing the plan? Or did he reveal everything on set?
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Finn

I have no idea. I just bought the documentary, "Stanley Kubrick: A Life in Pictures", so maybe they'll say something about that on there. I'll let you know.
Typical US Mother: "Remember what the MPAA says; Horrific, Deplorable violence is okay, as long as people don't say any naughty words."

Pozer

I read in one of his rare interviews that he figured out the shots on set.....let me find that bad boy

Pubrick

poser may be right. i'm pretty sure he made final decisions on the set but he definitely had a solid idea in mind. like the shining was made up as it went along, but Barry Lyndon was envisaged to the last butt dumpling.
under the paving stones.

Pozer

I think the interview might have been when he was younger come to think of it
couldn't find the one I was looking for, but found this interesting interview from 1969 when he was set to make Napoleon.
http://www.visual-memory.co.uk/amk/doc/0069.html
It's a good read

mutinyco

He figured it all out on the set. His feeling was that it would be impossible to know where to put the camera until he was there working with the actors. Everything about his style was process. He never had it figured out. He figured it out as he went along. Then did reshoots, etc., until he was satisfied.
"I believe in this, and it's been tested by research: he who fucks nuns will later join the church."

-St. Joe

SoNowThen

That's cool. Too bad we won't have that luxury until we've made at least 2 HUGE movies, just to be given the time. But he earned it, obviously...
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

mutinyco

Woody Allen has a similar approach -- in terms of figuring it out on the set, then doing reshoots later while he's editing. Only Woody doesn't do multiple takes.
"I believe in this, and it's been tested by research: he who fucks nuns will later join the church."

-St. Joe

ono

Quote from: mutinycoWoody Allen has a similar approach -- in terms of figuring it out on the set, then doing reshoots later while he's editing. Only Woody doesn't do multiple takes.
Yes he does.  Christina Ricci just said so on Conan O'Brien last night.

mutinyco

Maybe for her... He's been known to not give much direction, shoot a scene a couple of times and move on. Then if things aren't working he reshoots it. Who knows, maybe he's actually trying to make better movies now...

-St. Joe

Pozer

Quote from: mutinycoWho knows, maybe he's actually trying to make better movies now...

nope

mutinyco

I didn't say he was. I said TRYING...

-St. Joe

ElPandaRoyal

And I say he DOES make good movies. Ok, ok, I'm just a huge WA fan
Si

mutinyco

One other thing to note though -- HE DID plan certain things. For example, on the Napoleon film he wanted to do massive aerial shots of the battles. He wanted to fly over the troops in a helocopter. So he actually did the math and figured out the shots' durations by combining the number of troops there'd be with the amount of terrain they'd cover and how fast the copter would have to travel to pass over everything.

By the way, QT finally took over SK as the #2 most posted director. Too bad SK doesn't have anything new coming out...

-St. Joe

(kelvin)

Quote from: mutinycoOne other thing to note though -- HE DID plan certain things. For example, on the Napoleon film he wanted to do massive aerial shots of the battles. He wanted to fly over the troops in a helocopter. So he actually did the math and figured out the shots' durations by combining the number of troops there'd be with the amount of terrain they'd cover and how fast the copter would have to travel to pass over everything.

Has anyone seen Waterloo? I remember those aerial shots from the film (that ultimately was the reason why Stanley couldn't direct Napoleon).