fake, false and genuwine!!!

Started by aclockworkjj, August 23, 2003, 05:35:33 PM

aclockworkjj

how did you come to like mr. K?...cause seriously, if there is any guy that "film geeks" are just expected to like...it's him.  Honestly, I have never seen Barry London, nor Dr. Strangelove.  I like Clockwork and Eyes Wide Shut.  FMJ and the Shining are ok to me, I like them, but only when I haven't seen them in a long time.  My name...is phony...I like this film, not serious, my name is only that cause I happen to be watchin' the movie on HBO when I signed up for this...and it has just stuck.  Any agree that there are even more phony Kubrick fans than myself....meaning, they like his films solely cause they are expected to?

Alethia

no, the films of his that i like i like because they are great films.  those of his that i don't like are simply because they are not good.

Cecil

no i dont think there are fake kubrick fans

aclockworkjj

Quote from: Cecil B. Dementedno i dont think there are fake kubrick fans
you should attended more film classes in the states...they are everywhere.

The Perineum Falcon

Quote from: aclockworkjjAny agree that there are even more phony Kubrick fans than myself....meaning, they like his films solely cause they are expected to?
Well that's just sad, now isn't it?
We often went to the cinema, the screen would light up and we would tremble, but also, increasingly often, Madeleine and I were disappointed. The images had dated, they jittered, and Marilyn Monroe had gotten terribly old. We were sad, this wasn't the film we had dreamed of, this wasn't the total film that we all carried around inside us, this film that we would have wanted to make, or, more secretly, no doubt, that we would have wanted to live.

aclockworkjj

Quote from: ranemaka13
Quote from: aclockworkjjAny agree that there are even more phony Kubrick fans than myself....meaning, they like his films solely cause they are expected to?
maybe, but add more to that before you judge, cause right now I am thinkin' you are just "witty"...check it, b4 u wreck it....nice av...

pete

it feels like the whole real fan/ poser fan issue only arises from the fans' own insecurity.  they like kubrick and feel good liking kubrick until some asshole jock kid starts quoting the shining, so in order to separate themselves from the jock kid they start calling the jock kid a fake fan, attempting to sever the only thing they two may have in common.  it happens everywhere, religions, arts, crushes on girls...etc., just insecurity talking.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

cowboykurtis

Quote from: ewardno, the films of his that i like i like because they are great films.  those of his that i don't like are simply because they are not good.

i argue that hes never made a bad film. excluding his first effort, wich i have never seen.
...your excuses are your own...

The Perineum Falcon

Quote from: aclockworkjj
Quote from: ranemaka13
maybe, but add more to that before you judge, cause right now I am thinkin' you are just "witty"...check it, b4 u wreck it
I've just never considered movies to be one of those categories that had people "competing"(used loosely here) for "popularity" by pretending to like a certain Directing-God like Kubrick. His movies aren't, admittedly, for everyone, so why even pretend that they are? If you don't, for some reason, like his work it's your prerogative; it doesn't make you like movies any less than the next guy.
And besides that, isn't posing just a sad thing to do anyway?

Quote....nice av...
a-thank you
We often went to the cinema, the screen would light up and we would tremble, but also, increasingly often, Madeleine and I were disappointed. The images had dated, they jittered, and Marilyn Monroe had gotten terribly old. We were sad, this wasn't the film we had dreamed of, this wasn't the total film that we all carried around inside us, this film that we would have wanted to make, or, more secretly, no doubt, that we would have wanted to live.

Alethia

Quote from: cowboykurtis
Quote from: ewardno, the films of his that i like i like because they are great films.  those of his that i don't like are simply because they are not good.

i argue that hes never made a bad film. excluding his first effort, wich i have never seen.

very few films of his do i not like.  spartacus is one (for some reason i just never thought it was good, despite its standing as an american classic), and his first effort i have seen parts of (i dont think its even available for viewing as a whole).  most of his films i love, some i like but think could have been much better.  the ones i love and think are absolutely perfect: paths of glory, lolita, dr. strangelove, 2001, clockwork orange, barry lyndon, eyes wide shut.  as for the others (the killing, the shining, and full metal jacket) i dunno.  the killing was good for an early effort, but the shining, while i do like it, doesn't completely work for me, I can't really explain it, ill have to watch it again, i havent seen it in a while.  as for full metal jacket, well.....im in the school of people who find the first half brilliant, and the second half incredibly weak.  alot of people argue that im missing something in the second half, maybe i am.  but that still doesn't change the fact that it just doesnt work for me.  but the boot camp half is strong enough as to where i still consider it a good film.  the rest is history.

Alexandro

Quote from: eward
Quote from: cowboykurtis
Quote from: ewardquote]

very few films of his do i not like.  spartacus is one (for some reason i just never thought it was good, despite its standing as an american classic), and his first effort i have seen parts of (i dont think its even available for viewing as a whole).  most of his films i love, some i like but think could have been much better.  the ones i love and think are absolutely perfect: paths of glory, lolita, dr. strangelove, 2001, clockwork orange, barry lyndon, eyes wide shut.  as for the others (the killing, the shining, and full metal jacket) i dunno.  the killing was good for an early effort, but the shining, while i do like it, doesn't completely work for me, I can't really explain it, ill have to watch it again, i havent seen it in a while.  as for full metal jacket, well.....im in the school of people who find the first half brilliant, and the second half incredibly weak.  alot of people argue that im missing something in the second half, maybe i am.  but that still doesn't change the fact that it just doesnt work for me.  but the boot camp half is strong enough as to where i still consider it a good film.  the rest is history.

I haven't seen some of the early efforts, and The Killing I've seen only once, thought it was great that time I saw it. Dr. Strangelove, 2001, Clockwork, Lolita, The Shinning and Eyes Wide Shut and Full Metal Jacket, I don't know if they are perfect but I know I love them and can watch them repeteadly. Barry Lyndon is kind of slow at times, but I haven't given that film more than two chances...

The Shinning was a weird case. I always loved it but never really felt scared by it. I had seen it like seven times and althought I enjoyed the craft, I don't know, it wasn't scary. Then one day about a year ago, I put it on my dvd, I was alone, had smoked some pot, and the film started. Right then, in the opening credits, with the music, I started to feel so much fear. It was incredibly disturbing. The film went on and all thorugh it I felt this really creepy, kind o negative vibe, it was amazing. I had never before been so scared by a movie in my life. Truly horrific.

I have a theory that Kubrick films really have like, a vibe, something intangible to them, that makes them work on a very internal level.I was watching Full Metal Jacket once, and Chilly, a friend's poodle was with me. When Pile went nuts and was in the bathroom with the gun and looks at Mathew Modin with that demented kubrickian look, Chilly began to cry so loud I had to stop the movie so she could calm down...strange...

aclockworkjj

realize the only reason I used myself as an example here was cause I knew I could take it, but honestly this stems from reading some of the things I have seen others post.  I used myself, cause I really didn't feel like tearing apart anyone else, or making false assumptions...but this post has noting to do with me, other than being a simple reference to use.

and here I think my general assuption is holding validity...this being a "movie board" there are not many who think his stuff is shit...is it genuwine or is it just cause as "film buffs" we are expected to look to him as almost an "ideal"?

Alethia

it's genuine for me, dont know bout anyone else

ono

I first really started to be interested in Kubrick around the time Eyes Wide Shut was getting press.  They really made a lot out of the sexual content of the movie, and being the young college kid I was, I wanted to see it.  Never did go though.  A couple years later, I caught it late at night on some satellite dish channel and loved every minute of it.  Didn't become a cinephile, though, until a few years later, but Eyes Wide Shut was one of the first movies I could ever remember loving.  It was so mysterious and dreamlike.  And I loved the "fidelio" sequence, which was probably what sealed it for me.  That, and the end confrontation with Sydney Pollack's character over the pool table.  The colors in that scene were so striking.

A couple years later I finally saw A Clockwork Orange.  I didn't appreciate it fully until it had sunk in for a few days, as most movies do.  Magnolia was like this for me, too.  The last scenes of ACO are some of the greatest ever filmed, and while the whole film is an exercise in style, it complements the content greatly.

Randomly saw The Shining on FX, and appreciated it.  But I know it was the censored version, and some day I'll see it in full.  It was pretty good for a horror movie, and I liked it a lot, especially considering horror isn't one of my favorite genres.  The ending could be considered tacked on or brilliant.  I'm torn between those two.

Saw Dr. Strangelove twice; first time, I hated it.  Must have been tired or something, because it bored me.  Second time around, I paid more attention, and couldn't believe how hilarious it was.

Lolita wasn't that great at all.  It was rather boring and unfunny, and I'm of the unpopular opinion that even though the Lyne version was tacky, it did a little better addressing the subject that no one seems to really want to tackle head-on.  Every time this film is mentioned, I am reminded of another called Beau-pere, which is so much more effective at accomplishing what it sets out to do.

As for what I haven't seen in full: got Barry Lyndon, got about five minutes in to it, and had to do something else.  I think I decided I needed to sleep to give it the full attention it deserved.  Never did get to see it in full as a result.  It's definitely at the top of my list of must-see films.  Same with Spartacus and Full Metal Jacket, which I have yet to see.  I can't seem to recall what his others were.  Was it Fear and Desire?  That's the one he's ashamed of.  Ah, yes, 2001: one of the greatest openings ever, yet trying to watch this movie tired is a big mistake.  I sorta zoned out halfway through, and the cruddy quality of the VHS I got didn't help.  I hope to see this on the big screen someday, or at least on DVD with a big screen TV.  Also, Paths of Glory, The Killing, and Killer's Kiss I need to see.

So I guess considering all that (heh, to answer your question), I genuinely like him a whole lot, and he's probably one of my five favorite directors if I had to make a list.  A Clockwork Orange and Eyes Wide Shut are my two favorites of his, two films consistently in or near my top ten of all time.

Lucinda Bryte

QuoteLolita wasn't that great at all.  It was rather boring and unfunny, and I'm of the unpopular opinion that even though the Lyne version was tacky, it did a little better addressing the subject that no one seems to really want to tackle head-on.  Every time this film is mentioned, I am reminded of another called Beau-pere, which is so much more effective at accomplishing what it sets out to do.

I dunno. I rather liked Lolita. I thought it worked because it was very subtle... Even though that was the fault of the censors mostly.