American Beauty - the unofficial thread

Started by filmcritic, July 06, 2003, 02:07:41 PM

tpfkabi

i never liked the style of Fight Club, though Se7en is one of my favorites (at least it was - i think i would still like it today).

i liked American Beauty though.
don't piss on Conrad Hall's grave.  :yabbse-grin:
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

pete

Quote from: Gold Trumpet on August 03, 2009, 02:54:26 PM
The visual flair in the movie was a watered down version of David Lynch's vision in Blue Velvet.

dude, you can't just say that.  at no point in time did sam mendes ever say to conrad hall "yeah, like that shot in blue velvet...but don't try as hard."
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

socketlevel

Quote from: pete on August 03, 2009, 08:21:08 PM
The visual flair in the movie was a watered down version of David Lynch's vision in Blue Velvet.

dude, you can't just say that.  at no point in time did sam mendes ever say to conrad hall "yeah, like that shot in blue velvet...but don't try as hard."

i agree its not a watered down blue velvet. however, not only do some directors say that kinda thing, it wouldn't be a surprise for mendes to say it.  think how many directors since the 70s have said "you know, like how kubrick would shoot it."  even ones we like.  when i've shot my films i've said that kinda shit, and yes i'm not proud of it.
the one last hit that spent you...

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: pete on August 03, 2009, 08:21:08 PM

It was a comparison. I used another film as an example to make a point. I didn't say Conrad Hall was going for Blue Velvet in a certain fashion, but the film is useful to name because both films paint their suburbias with a lushness to the color tones. Blue Velvet just heightened the color contrasts of suburbia to give the film a dream dimension so that makes American Beauty a watered down version. Just my interpretation.

ElPandaRoyal

I also don't think it's fair to call it a watered down version of anything. I love the movie as much now as I did in 99. Anyway, it's still very possible that Mendes was thinking about Blue Velvet when shooting American Beauty, because:

http://www.bfi.org.uk/sightandsound/topten/poll/voter.php?forename=Sam&surname=Mendes

Si

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: ElPandaRoyal on August 04, 2009, 04:36:55 AM
I also don't think it's fair to call it a watered down version of anything.

Yea, convincing. In the end my statement is more fair than yours.

ElPandaRoyal

Oh, I wasn't trying to go into an argument (at least right now, because I'm full of work), it was just a brief opinion which I promise to develop later. My post was just to mention that Mendes is a fan of Blue Velvet. That said, I'm still not sure why you compared both movies in those terms.
Si

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: ElPandaRoyal on August 04, 2009, 07:14:02 AM
Oh, I wasn't trying to go into an argument (at least right now, because I'm full of work), it was just a brief opinion which I promise to develop later. My post was just to mention that Mendes is a fan of Blue Velvet. That said, I'm still not sure why you compared both movies in those terms.

I compared the films in terms of cinematography. Alexandro acted like American Beauty was revolutionary in its visual look of suburbia, but I was naming films of worthy comparision that came before it. Ultimately, both films are incomparable because their stories give each film totally different objectives, but on the level of suburbia look and feel, it seems to me that both films are very comparable. It's not a serious comparison because it's focusing on just one thing, but considering Alexandro vaulted the film up to genius stature because of its visuals, I thought the remark was worth one sentence.

tpfkabi

are we too young to know who Lynch ripped off?
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

Alexandro

Quote from: Gold Trumpet on August 04, 2009, 10:28:37 AM
Quote from: ElPandaRoyal on August 04, 2009, 07:14:02 AM

I compared the films in terms of cinematography. Alexandro acted like American Beauty was revolutionary in its visual look of suburbia, but I was naming films of worthy comparision that came before it. Ultimately, both films are incomparable because their stories give each film totally different objectives, but on the level of suburbia look and feel, it seems to me that both films are very comparable. It's not a serious comparison because it's focusing on just one thing, but considering Alexandro vaulted the film up to genius stature because of its visuals, I thought the remark was worth one sentence.

my god!! i only said it was refreshing to see suburbia portrayed with such visual flair, I didn't said it was some sort of milestone of cinema...incidentally as I was writing that "refreshing" comment thought of blue velvet, but I was referring mostly to the way suburbia was being portrayed in the dramas, comedies and dramedies of the 90's, films where suburbia would actually be shot as boring and mundane. in things like happiness or stuff like that.

socketlevel

Quote from: bigideas on August 04, 2009, 11:40:24 AM
are we too young to know who Lynch ripped off?

Cocteau, kubrick, fellini, Resnais
the one last hit that spent you...