American Beauty - the unofficial thread

Started by filmcritic, July 06, 2003, 02:07:41 PM

MrBurgerKing

So these racists are making fun of the asian accents?

bonanzataz

The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

MrBurgerKing

I haven't gone burger hopping in a while, go easy on me! The mind doesn't work when its deprived of its essentials. The other day I actually heard the entire pitch of a telemarketer! I wanted to wait for a break in their pitch so I could say 'not interested,' but there was no break! Five minutes of continuous talking. Finally, when there was a break, I said no thanks and hung up. They probably said to themselves 'for fuck's sake, bk, you shoulda told me earlier so I didn't have to waste 5 minutes'

This place is like a McDonalds, full of idiots like me and cranky people like buddy holly.

filmcritic

Okay, let's get back to the topic.  :roll:
"You're too kind."
-Richard Roeper

"You're too cruel."
-Roger Ebert

modage

i liked american beauty.  i had no idea what to expect since the ads seemed to be all over the place.  some making it look like a boring old people drama, some like a teen flick.  and then it opened and i read a review that basically said "not what it seems".  and off that i went to see it that weekend. and i loved it.  was pretty blown away.  brought a friend to see it again a few months later.  started off the 1/2/3 punch that was 1999 americanbeauty/sept, fightclub/oct, and magnolia/dec (my three favorite movies of that year). i think i was 17 at the time and had just gone away to college.  i think that fall was one of the turning points of my movie geekdom.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Pubrick

under the paving stones.

filmcritic

"You're too kind."
-Richard Roeper

"You're too cruel."
-Roger Ebert

rustinglass

I saw the film after the oscars and was a bit disapointed, maybe all the hype around it ruined it for me. I thought it was a good film, but nothing special.
"In Serbia a lot of people hate me because they want to westernise, not understanding that the western world is bipolar, with very good things and very bad things. Since they don't have experience of the west, they even believe that western shit is pie."
-Emir Kusturica

chainsmoking insomniac

I thought this film was great.  The score, the script, the characters...brutally honest.  I knew a girl alot like Thora Birch (looked nothing like her, unfortunately) so the film hit me a bit more personally.  And the ending....one of my top five faves!
"Ernest Hemingway once wrote: 'The world's a fine place, and worth fighting for.'  I agree with the second part."
    --Morgan Freeman, Se7en

"Have you ever fucking seen that...? Ever seen a mistake in nature?  Have you ever seen an animal make a mistake?"
 --Paul Schneider, All the Real Girls

filmcritic

"You're too kind."
-Richard Roeper

"You're too cruel."
-Roger Ebert

bonanzataz

i never knew disappointment like 1999. i so badly wanted to see fight club and magnolia in theaters and never got to. i almost missed american beauty but guilt tripped my mom about magnolia (this was after the oscars so american beauty started playing in a few theaters again) and I loved it. Maybe had I seen Magnolia in the theaters it would have overshadowed American Beauty, but i didn't so i thought this movie was the best thing ever.
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

Raikus

American Beauty was the first time I left a theater excited about a movie. It completely blew me away. I agree to a degree with GT on the repeat viewing principle. But I really don't see a major quality point for film being what you get from it on the replay. If it's a really good movie it will communicate what it wants on the first try (with the exception of Donnie Darko which is still a great movie even if you have to watch it over and over to grasp the extint of its philosophy).
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free, silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands, with all memory and fate driven deep beneath the waves, let me forget about today until tomorrow.

filmcritic

Yeah, I didn't get to see those movies in theatres either. But the fact is that just because you didn't see them in theatres, doesn't mean you can't see them at all. Movies always have another life on video. In fact, sometimes video can be better because you don't have any distractions around you. 8)
"You're too kind."
-Richard Roeper

"You're too cruel."
-Roger Ebert

bonanzataz

no, magnolia on the big screen would have blown me away. weird thing is, i saw it twice on video and i never cared for the film until i saw the widescreen dvd in a completely darkened room. that's the only way i watch it now (or on a rainy day). that and 2001.

filmcritic

Okay, I'm not gonna lie. I agree with you. :cry:
"You're too kind."
-Richard Roeper

"You're too cruel."
-Roger Ebert