Theatrical Exhibition

Started by wilberfan, August 08, 2019, 02:25:03 PM

Alethia

Alethia

wilberfan

I found this a fascinating listen during this morning's walk.

99% Invisible - Episode 435 - "The Megaplex!"

Back in the early 1990s, movie theaters weren't that great. The auditoriums were cramped and narrow, and the screen was dim. But in 1995, the AMC Grand 24 in Dallas changed everything. It was the very first movie megaplex in the United States. This is the gigantic, neon, big-box store of moviegoing that we're all used to  today, and it's easy to dismiss as a tacky '90s invention. But the megaplex—specifically this first megaplex in Dallas—upended the entire theater business and changed the kinds of movies that got made in ways you might not imagine.

WorldForgot

It'd be interesting for ArcLight to be "rebranded" without changing its signature operations. ArcLight by AMC or AMC-ArcLight where they still keep a three-trailer limit, introduce the films, and not swap the food/cafe menus.
Wouldn't be as special a venue if it adopts all of AMC's trailer practices and typical lobby atmosphere, though.

AMC Theatres Looking to Buy Closed ArcLight and Pacific Theatres Venues

QuoteThe pandemic has taken a toll on movie theaters. Earlier this year, it was announced that the Los Angeles ArcLight Cinemas and Pacific Theatres would be closing for good, including the famous Hollywood Arclight multiplex on Sunset Boulevard and its iconic Cinerama Dome. The news upset cinephiles, and now here’s some more news that might not sit so well. AMC Theatres is in the midst of talks to acquire ArcLight Cinemas and Pacific Theatres venues.

AMC is the biggest theater chain in both the world and the United States, but that doesn’t mean they’re the best theater chain around. In fact, many AMC locations are, to put it bluntly, dumps. So the news that AMC is looking into buying the shuttered ArcLight and Pacific venues is bound to upset folks who cherish those institutions and don’t want AMC anywhere near them.

The Wrap reports that AMC “plans to raise $230.5 million for key acquisitions in the movie theater sector — and confirmed talks to acquire venues operated by the now-shuttered ArcLight Cinemas and Pacific Theatres.”

“Given our scale, experience and commitment to innovation and excellence, AMC is being presented with highly attractive theatre acquisition opportunities,” said AMC Entertainment CEO Adam Aron. “We are in discussions, for example, with multiple landlords of superb theatres formerly operated by ArcLight Cinemas and Pacific Theatres.”

The announcement that the ArcLight Cinemas and Pacific Theatres came in April, with their parent company Decurion stating:

“This was not the outcome anyone wanted, but despite a huge effort that exhausted all potential options, the company does not have a viable way forward. To all the Pacific and ArcLight employees who have devoted their professional lives to making our theaters the very best places in the world to see movies: we are grateful for your service and your dedication to our customers. To our guests and members of the film industry who have made going to the movies such a magical experience over the years: our deepest thanks. It has been an honor and a pleasure to serve you.”

AMC plans to raise the $230.5 million via a sale of 8.5 million shares to Mudrick Capital Management. AMC raised $100 million from Mudrick in December as part of a “debt offering for needed capital” while most of its theaters remained closed.

wilberfan

As a kind of historical artifact, here is an (edited) list of instructions for the almost-post-pandemic screening of MAGNOLIA this weekend at the historic Million Dollar Theater in downtown L.A. (Sid Grauman's first theater).

Quote2)PLEASE BRING & WEAR YOUR MASKS AT ALMOST ALL TIMES.  We ask that everyone makes sure you have your mask of choice and are wearing it before we can let you into theater.  You will be able to take the mask off to eat/drink your concessions once you're seated. But other than that, masks must be worn at all times indoors.

4)IF YOU'RE FULLY VACCINATED, PLEASE BRING A COPY/PHONE PHOTO OF VACCINATION CARD & PHOTO ID! IT REALLY HELPS SEATING FOR EVERYONE.

Now that we're in yellow tier, we can actually seat vaccinated folks closer together.

Please don't worry if you haven't yet gotten vaccinated (just wear your mask at all times). We have specially distanced rows for your own safety that are AT LEAST 6 feet from any other person.

If you are fully vaccinated, please bring a photo or the QR of your vaccination card on your phone and a photo ID.  We'll check both upon your entrance.

Ushers will take you to your seats and these will be your seats for ALL MOVIES that day (if you've bought double or triple feature tickets). Please just bring sweaters/jackets/etc that you can lay across the seats if you decide to go to Grand Central Market during the intermission so we know the seats are taken.

6)INSIDE THE THEATER, PLEASE STICK WITH YOUR "HOUSEHOLD" AND DON'T CROWD CONCESSIONS, RESTROOMS, THE MOVIE STORE.  We'll have 6 ft distance floor markers for reference. But as a rule, inside, make sure you only congregate with your "household" (the folks you came with). Keep 6 ft of distance from everyone else.  Also, please make sure to maintain this 6 ft distance rule at any place inside the theater where crowding might be natural (concessions, movie store, restrooms).

7)PLEASE HELP OUR THEATER AND STAFF BY WORKING WITH US IF WE ASK YOU TO OBSERVE COVID SAFETY RULES.  Our Staff is trained to ask audience to observe the Covid safety rules for everyone's benefit.  If you accidentally forget to put back on your mask or maintain 6 ft of distance from another household, one of our staff will kindly ask you to do so. Please help us out by observing the safety rules and know we're only reaching out to make sure these events are safe for everyone.

If we do this, we can wonderful successful events at the Million Dollar Theater across the entire summer as we return to movie theaters!

jenkins

I'm vaxed but I think that vax card is fucked up

what is the situation in terms of why vaxed people should be afraid of non-vaxed people

WorldForgot

Quentin Tarantino Buys L.A.'s Vista Theatre

Quote"I bought the Vista on Sunset," Tarantino said today on Dax Shepard's Armchair Expert podcast. "We'll probably open it up around Christmas time. And again: only film. It won't be a revival house. We'll show new movies that come out where they give us a film print. It's not going to be like the New Beverly. The New Beverly has its own vibe."
[...]
Tarantino said he believes "boutique cinemas" might "thrive in this time," adding, "and I am not talking about the La-Z-Boy, order nachos and margaritas. I actually like the Alamo Drafthouse a lot, but I have a living room. I want to go to the theater."

wilberfan

jenkins

everyone may already know: the Vista is where they see a movie in True Romance

wilberfan

Regarding the new Vistatino Theatre:

Quote"But it won't be a revival house," Tarantino added. "We'll show new movies that come out, where they give us a film print. We'll show new stuff.

"It's not gonna be like the New Beverly. The New Beverly has its own vibe," said Tarantino. "The Vista is like a crown jewel kind of thing. So it'll be like the best prints. We'll show older films, but they will be like older films that can hold a four-night engagement."

I wonder how that will work?  It's just occurred to me that Soggy Bottom could very well play there--if not during it's November 'exclusive' L.A. run (I'm sure QT would like to have it open by late November?)--then certainly later this year or early next year. 

How many films strike 35mm prints these days, tho?  I suppose 'prestige' films from big name directors? 

WorldForgot

Quote from: wilberfan on July 06, 2021, 09:36:27 AM
Regarding the new Vistatino Theatre:

Quote“But it won’t be a revival house,” Tarantino added. “We’ll show new movies that come out, where they give us a film print. We’ll show new stuff.

“It’s not gonna be like the New Beverly. The New Beverly has its own vibe,” said Tarantino. “The Vista is like a crown jewel kind of thing. So it’ll be like the best prints. We’ll show older films, but they will be like older films that can hold a four-night engagement.”

I wonder how that will work?  It's just occurred to me that Soggy Bottom could very well play there--if not during it's November 'exclusive' L.A. run (I'm sure QT would like to have it open by late November?)--then certainly later this year or early next year. 

How many films strike 35mm prints these days, tho?  I suppose 'prestige' films from big name directors?

Right. I'd assume there are enough filmmakers between A24/Neon/WB and whoever else (AmazonsMGM?) to fill out at least a pilot-year of programming for the new Vista team. That's my ideal, that next year is basically mapped out so The Vista can get running on pure film stock. Wouldn't it be interesting, too, then, to see which hall whatever film iz playing the Vista gets at the AMCs? You're totally right; like, Soggy Bottom would play hall 6 or 8 in a multiplex. If it gets its own stage tho... o_o

This sort of engagement is kinda exciting. Hell, I mean, if Netflix has helped float contemporary film engagements in LA (the bev w/ war machine, okja, gunpowder milkshake; the egyptian w/ Irishman) I don't see why they wouldn't be interested in a parallel sitch at The Paris in NY.

jenkins

it's nice and all but still the best theater this year is globular and at fairfax and wilshire

wilberfan

Probably peak sound-and-vision, yeah.