Scream 5

Started by Alethia, October 12, 2021, 10:30:13 AM

Alethia

Not directed by Wes Craven (cuz he's dead)

Starring Neve Campbell, Courtney Cox, David Arquette, and a bunch of boring young people.

Reel

Alethia

Spoiler: ShowHide
Ghostface messin with the locks via an app, get fucked

Yes I'm still excited to see it, gah damn it

Spoiler: ShowHide
"I'm Sidney Prescott, of course I have a gun." QUEEN

Reel

Cellphones have ruined horror in a lot of ways, but you can't mind them as much in Scream since they've always been integral to the story.

Drenk

It looks kind of joyless.
Ascension.

Alethia

Seems very much of our moment, so - yeah, that checks out lol

©brad

Quote from: Drenk on October 12, 2021, 01:43:04 PM
It looks kind of joyless.

Totally. No sense of humor or interesting hook worthy of bringing back the original cast. The directing duo's IMDBs do not inspire confidence either.

Alethia

Scream 4 had lots of joy. The best of the sequels, far and away.

Yes

Scream without... humor... satire.. Wes... or Kevin... why?

4 already did the nostalgia trip and had the reboot/sequel angle... I don't see what's fresh here. What's the selling point?

pynchonikon

The selling point is clearly the original cast returning once more, because if anything else the recent tv-series thing proved that not too many care to watch Scream without them. The Halloween (2018) did the same with Lee Curtis.

I'm not interested in this and I agree the fourth movie is the best of the sequels.

Yes

Quote from: pynchonikon on October 12, 2021, 02:59:25 PM
The selling point is clearly the original cast returning once more, because if anything else the recent tv-series thing proved that not too many care to watch Scream without them. The Halloween (2018) did the same with Lee Curtis.

I'm not interested in this and I agree the fourth movie is the best of the sequels.

At least 18 sold itself as ignoring the sequels and being a "real Halloween sequel".. which of course isn't true at all. They removed the Michael/Laurie sisters storyline

polkablues

As someone who is biased toward horror movies taking themselves seriously, and who also thinks Scream 4 was hot wet garbage, the trailer actually has me a little hyped for this one. Even if it does feel like it's copy/pasting the David Gordon Green Halloween template onto the Scream franchise.

If nothing else, I vastly prefer this batch of young actors over the ones that were in 4.
My house, my rules, my coffee

Alethia

©brad

Quote from: polkablues on October 12, 2021, 04:28:34 PM
As someone who is biased toward horror movies taking themselves seriously, and who also thinks Scream 4 was hot wet garbage, the trailer actually has me a little hyped for this one. Even if it does feel like it's copy/pasting the David Gordon Green Halloween template onto the Scream franchise.

If nothing else, I vastly prefer this batch of young actors over the ones that were in 4.

I hope you're right, but the January release date doesn't inspire confidence.

Yes

I didn't hate but it's like.. a Scream sequel in Jan 2022.

Hits same beats as 4 with toxic fandom thoroughline thrown in. The name checks are cute but nothing is funny here. It's the least funniest, least wittiest. Nothing is being satirized. Calling it flaws of genre doesn't absolve you. It does something very stupid that can't be mentioned without spoilers. New cast is fine but Barrera who is soulless. Legacy cast pretty wasted. Some decent kills if a bit over the top.

1 > 2 > 4/5 > 3