microsoft word problem

Started by ©brad, May 03, 2003, 06:06:30 AM

©brad

i am just about to type up a screenplay for my scriptwriting class. i am forced to do it on mircrosoft word because these computers in the library have no screenwriting software. what's driving me mad is that when I write dialogue microsoft word automatically capitalizes the first letter of each new line. anyone know how to turn this option off?

Redlum

Hey cbr.

Try this, its basically just a screenwriting template file for Word, but it works just like final draft, its shareware too.

ftp://members.aol.com/jackwpass/aspiring/scrpr97a.zip

Afriad, I dont know how to specifically fix your problem, but this little piece of software is really worth it and it fits (66kb) on the disc. Hope this helps.
\"I wanted to make a film for kids, something that would present them with a kind of elementary morality. Because nowadays nobody bothers to tell those kids, \'Hey, this is right and this is wrong\'.\"
  -  George Lucas

©brad

redlum, thanks a lot for that. i tried downloading it but these computers are blocked so we can't download any programs onto them. it sucks (can't wait to get back home.)

much appreciated though. i'll download that template when i get back on my own computer.

Redlum

\"I wanted to make a film for kids, something that would present them with a kind of elementary morality. Because nowadays nobody bothers to tell those kids, \'Hey, this is right and this is wrong\'.\"
  -  George Lucas

xerxes

go to tools, then to AutoCorrect Options... you should be able to fix it from there

©brad

ur my new best friend.

how in the hell did i not see that? :oops:

Reel

I don't understand how to use templates. I was messing around with the screenplay one on microsoft word and got the settings all fucked up, now I can't revert them back to normal. Couldn't find an explanation of how to do different commands or customize it for myself. Just confused. I want a simpler, quicker method of writing, but if it proves to be this difficult I'll just stick to my big blocks of text. Can someone explain to me how the fuck templates work in the first place? I know I sound stupid, I feel it.

polkablues

For screenwriting, you're better off using a dedicated program like Celtx or Final Draft. Word is crap for screenplay format, or pretty much anything but standard paragraph writing for that matter.
My house, my rules, my coffee

jenkins

chill feature of celtx is it's free (it's still free?) -- celtx page sizes are wacky to print, but there's a tab for pdf conversion and the pages come close to final draft page size, plus you can email your friends or others a pdf and that's simple

polkablues

The base program is still free, it's like $15 bucks for the full-featured program. If all you're doing with it is writing scripts and exporting them to pdf, the free version is all you need.
My house, my rules, my coffee

matt35mm

Oh I miss the days of writing scripts in Word.

I didn't use a template; I would just write and then format everything at the end of my writing session by tabbing. That's also back when I could listen to music and write... can't do that anymore for some reason.

jenkins

aside from music details related to character perspective and scene construction, for writing i tend to play music like i do while reading: moss of aura, john coltrane, cfcf, arthur rubenstein, com truise, etc. it's like white noise against the thundering city. there are always city noises around me, and sometimes i take that as music, sometimes i turn on a fan, and sometimes i play music i can float over