Alejandro Jodorowsky's Dune - Documentary

Started by wilder, May 14, 2011, 10:14:17 AM

wilder

New Documentary To Go Inside 'Jodorowsky's Dune'
via The Playlist

A long time ago, Alejandro Jodorowsky tried to make the greatest movie of all time. It was an adaptation of Frank Herbert's "Dune," and he was ready to employ Salvador Dali, Douglas Trumbull, Michel Seydoux and Pink Floyd amongst then-unknown names like Moebius, Dan O'Bannon and H.R. Geiger. For a variety of reasons, some bordering on hearsay (many claim Jodorowsky was wholly dismissive of the source), the film fell apart, leaving movie lovers to imagine "what-if," even if the picture was eventually made by David Lynch and a significantly less-colorful group of collaborators.

In "Jodorowsky's Dune," director Frank Pavich intends to get to the bottom of the proposed film and why it fell apart. The doc, half-completed, is currently looking for additional funding at Cannes, though interviews with Jodorowsky, Giger and others have already been recorded. They've also released a promo video, obtained by TwitchFilm, which should whet your appetite for what Pavich has in store—check it out after the jump

Mr. Merrill Lehrl

Fantastic material but I hope there's more planned than talking heads.
"If I had to hold up the most heavily fortified bank in America," Bolaño says, "I'd take a gang of poets. The attempt would probably end in disaster, but it would be beautiful."

wilder

Sony Classics Acquires Cannes Docu 'Jodorowsky's Dune'
via Deadline

NEW YORK (July 11, 2013) – Sony Pictures Classics announced today that they have acquired the North American rights to Frank Pavich's documentary JODOROWSKY'S DUNE. Executive produced by Donald Rosenfeld and produced by Pavich, Stephen Scarlata, and Travis Stevens, the film was in the Director's Fortnight section at this year's Cannes Film Festival. JODOROWSKY'S DUNE explores legendary cult film director Alejandro Jodorowsky (EL TOPO, HOLY MOUNTAIN, SANTA SANGRE) and his staggeringly ambitious, yet ultimately doomed, mid-1970's film adaptation of the seminal science fiction novel DUNE. The tale of Jodorowsky and his DUNE is a fascinating trip through creativity and imagination, a story about the relentless pursuit of a dream, and the necessity of art. In pre-production for over two years, the film was to star Jodorowsky's own 12 year old son Brontis alongside Orson Welles, Mick Jagger, David Carradine and even Salvador Dali, set to a musical score by Pink Floyd and art-design by some of the most provocative talents of the era, including H.R. Giger and Jean 'Moebius' Giraud.

Ghostboy

I saw this the other night, and it's really pretty awesome and inspiring. Jodorowsky himself is a pure joy to listen to.

wilder

Mel

This clip is horrible, it pretty much took away my whole interest in this documentary. "Greatest film that was never meant to be" - can we move on or we need another 20 people telling us that? Moreover films that really changed cinematic vocabulary often weren't planned aa such, on other hand films prophetized as game changers often ended up as spectacular failures. I get why people are obsessed with idea of "Dune" made by Jodorowsky, but instead of telling how great it would be, show us why you think so.
Simple mind - simple pleasures...

picolas

jodorowsky the man is such a perfect doc subject. he oozes love and passion. he cares soooo much about all his crazy ideas and i fell under his spell instantly. the thought and energy that goes into making big films is usually more interesting than the films themselves.

nicolas winding refn gives a great interview too. the feeling in his face is so awesome but.. composed. just like his movies.

the score is a bit aggressive at times. not really my thing. but it makes sense because the movie-within-the-movie is just as mad.

i want more movies about movies that didn't get made. i'm not sure if i believe jodorowsky's dune would've had an impact like star wars, but as an unmade film, it can exist as that perfect work in our minds. i adore the whole legend of jodorowsky and the ragtag, ocean's eleven-like crew he assembled to pull off the impossible. i very much need to go watch el topo and the holy mountain now.

Mel

Quote from: Mr. Merrill Lehrl on May 14, 2011, 12:44:45 PM
Fantastic material but I hope there's more planned than talking heads.

It isn't talking heads all way down. To be honest I think Refn was only interviewed so his face could be used for trailers. In the end it is mostly man himself, Jodorowsky with some visualization/animations made out of storyboard. This is solid documentary.

I'm sold on the idea. There is a lot of passion emanating from Jodo and his group - this is infectious. At the same time there is no bitterness I would expect and that is part of the success of whole concept.

Before watching documentary I firmly believed that making honest adaptation of Herbert's Dune is impossible. That didn't change. I see how version/vision of specific director could be realized now, but for me first book is just a start. There is a part where Jodorowsky talks about 20 hours or even longer version and that is only first book - pretty much sums it up what adapters are against. What sets Dune saga apart for me is what comes after, especially in "God Emperor of Dune" - whole concept of heroics is turned upside down.
Simple mind - simple pleasures...

i like your lack of the words 'the/a/an', it makes your post sound like a russian bodybuilder cartoon in my head.

this documentary was also amazing.

Sleepless

I've doubtless said this before, but you know what I would liked to have seen? Lynch's Dune. As he intended, with no interference and with budget of no concern.
He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.

Lottery

This was so great. Passionate and empowering stuff. I can't believe how he assembled such an incredible team. Has there been anything since with such an incredibly talented band of individuals?

I loved how positive it was. Animation would be a great way to approach the film- I feel the same way about The Incal, which is hugely ambitious itself. Yes, a proper Lynch's Dune may have been interesting, but who could pull it off now?

Jeremy Blackman

Deep dive about the crypto bros who bought a rare copy of Jodorowsky's Dune Bible while hinting they would try to monetize or adapt it in some way.