I Just Bought...

Started by ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ, October 25, 2003, 05:14:10 PM

meatwad

Quote from: You Never Got Me Down Ray
Quote from: billybrown
Quote from: meatwadsilence of the lambs-criterion collection $6.99
massive attack- 11 promos  $5.99

Where so cheap? I'd have to assume they were used also.

Seriously, $6.99 for an OOP Criterion?!?! I'd pay more than that for a good quality bootleg. So you wanna sell it?

yeah, well, they were not used. I got them in the bargin bin at a place in long island. Two of my friends happened to be going to this record store to pick up the Decendents EP, so i took the ride. I was happy as shit that i went.

And i'm not willing to sell

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

Quote from: Chest RockwellI never buy used DVDs. I feel so dirty when I have one.

But Chest...you ARE so dirty.

I am loving used DVD's man...half the price, and at Family Video they'll clean them for free.  Of course, some still have a little sticker resin on some spots, but I get over it.

I save so much money this way.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

classical gas

I finally got around to buying the Mr. Show DVD's season 1-3.  I forgot how great this show was!  It's pure genius.  Easily the best live action television show ever.  Nothing is funnier or more insightful than this when it comes to tv (maybe the simpsons)...

Sleuth

Quote from: classical gasI finally got around to buying the Mr. Show DVD's season 1-3.  I forgot how great this show was!  It's pure genius.  Easily the best live action television show ever.  Nothing is funnier or more insightful than this when it comes to tv (maybe the simpsons)...

Yeah, I recently got them too.  I used to not like it, but now I don't know what the fuck was wrong with me, it's so great
I like to hug dogs

SoNowThen

Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

meatwad

the borders near me had no copies of one from the heart. so i bought....

Pedro

Chest Rockwell

Am I noticing a trend in all of your picks, Pedro?

You Never Got Me Down Ray

And my friend is buying me one of these for my birthday, which one should i go for?

I'm leaning towards the fassbinder box.
My life has taken another turn again. The days move along with regularity, over and over. One day indistinguishable from the next. A long, continuous chain. Then suddenly, there is change.

godardian

I'd go for the Fassbinder first, but they're both essential.

Me:

""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

You Never Got Me Down Ray

I was looking at those godardian, let me know how they are. And if you're like me with your Criterion watching, I'll come back in a few months to see a response.
My life has taken another turn again. The days move along with regularity, over and over. One day indistinguishable from the next. A long, continuous chain. Then suddenly, there is change.

Pubrick

u ppl buy things just for the cover.
under the paving stones.

godardian

Quote from: Pu ppl buy things just for the cover.

They are beautiful covers, aren't they?

I plan to watch Country Priest and Maitresse both sometime this weekend. I've pretty much gone through my entire Criterion backlog (!!!). It's taken months and months.

An e-mail I received from a friend re: Maitresse:

"It's got some truly squirm-inducing scenes of s&m. Be warned, when you think it won't be as graphic as it looks like it could be, it is! It's a strange film looking at strange psychology, and it's not shy about it."
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

cine

analogzombie

My local Wherehouse Music is going out of business, 50% off all used. So today i swung by, and although these dvds are used they are pristine and I got all of them for only $65!!!

sorry the last pic is so big  :oops:

i got the newer dvds b/c this store rents new releases, since they were closing those were for sale too. but they are pristine dvds, no security tape or store logo on them or anything, the cases are also mint. They might as well be new. A great haul!
"I have love to give, I just don't know where to put it."