Movie themes

Started by Jack Sparrow, May 21, 2003, 08:50:13 AM

Jack Sparrow

What about them? Which theme is yo favorite?

Currently, my favorite is the theme to Terminator II.

Alethia

vertigo - and the citizen kane theme isnt bad either - taxi driver.......ahh fuck i just love hermann ------------- ooh, i've always loved john williams music for born on the fourth of july....

Holden Pike

Some of my favorite original scores are...

Taxi Driver, Bernard Herrmann
BladeRunner, Vangelis
Once Upon A Time in the West, Ennio Morricone
Paris, Texas, Ry Cooder
Chinatown, Jerry Goldsmith
Lift to the Scaffold, Miles Davis
Anatomy of a Murder, Duke Ellington
Miller's Crossing, Carter Burwell
The Hot Spot, John Lee Hooker, Miles Davis & Taj Mahal
Laura, David Raskin
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream, it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film."
- Frank Capra

Duck Sauce

Quote from: mogwaiWhat about them? Which theme is yo favorite?

Currently, my favorite is the theme to Terminator II.

I got chills when I heard it on the T3 trailer

children with angels

I like a lot of stuff by Mychael Danna, particularly Exotica and The Sweet Hereafter, but ESPECIALLY The Ice Storm.

And, of course, let's hear it for Jon Brion.
"Should I bring my own chains?"
"We always do..."

http://www.alternatetakes.co.uk/
http://thelesserfeat.blogspot.com/

BrainSushi

Uh, let's see... I always thought the Fargo theme was really fantastic, but pretty underrated. Carter Burwell has some great simple scores that often go unnoticed.

Mark Mothersbaugh's music for Rushmore and The Royal Tenenbaums is some awesome stuff that is REALLY unnoticed. I remember saying to a friend that I loved the score for Tenenbaums, and he said something along the lines of, "What score? It just had a bunch of old songs."

The original scores are undershadowed by the other songs that Wes picks to use, but I don't care. He picks some damn good songs anyway.

godardian

Quote from: children with angelsI like a lot of stuff by Mychael Danna, particularly Exotica and The Sweet Hereafter, but ESPECIALLY The Ice Storm.

And, of course, let's hear it for Jon Brion.

Hear,  hear.

I would also add Michael Nyman's scores for Wonderland and anything Peter Greenaway, and Elmer Bernstein's Far from Heaven score.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

children with angels

Yeah, Nyman definitely. Also, I forgot to mention the wonderful Philip Glass, if only for his Koyaanisuatsi/Powaqqatsi scores and the contributions to the Truman show.
"Should I bring my own chains?"
"We always do..."

http://www.alternatetakes.co.uk/
http://thelesserfeat.blogspot.com/

©brad

jurassic park- classic fav
lord of the rings- gets me going
run lola run- makes me wanna run
gladiator- makes me wanna cut people
thelma and louise- the end part

currently have the lovely score to 25th hour in my head.

©brad

yeah no. most of my friends are bigger than me so when i try to cut them they usually hit me.

©brad

:oops:  :?  :lol:

was waiting tables the other night and it cracked real good. its was old ppl so they didn't say anything. there is no real way to recover from a voice crack. in fact, the only way to do it is to immediately draw attention to it and make fun of yo'self.

it doesn't happen that often. i still get laid.

*sigh*

MacGuffin

Indiana Jones
Psycho
North By Northwest
Godfather
Rocky
Beetlejuice
Cape Fear
Bram Stoker's Dracula
Blue Velvet
Twin Peaks
The Untouchables
Fargo
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

phil marlowe

is anyone familiar with fanthomas? its an insane mike patton project featuring dunn from bungle, some guitarist from melvins and good ol slayer dave lombardo on drums. they did an album called the directors cut which features alot of the many songs listed in this thread in new and more 'exciting' versions.

godardian

Badalamenti's scores can be great. Loved his Mulholland Dr. score as much as what he did for Blue Velvet. Anyone ever hear of "Booth and the Bad Angel," his "band" with Tim Booth of James? He also does strings as a studio musician; I remember him being on some Pet Shop Boys albums.

I really love Pino Donaggio's Blow Out score, too.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

SoNowThen

Big Deal On Madonna Street is the score I hum for the longest after I watch the movie.

Femme Fatale has a pretty snappy score.

Life Is Beautiful had two nice themes to it.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.