INHERENT VICE (No Major Spoilers)

Started by cronopio 2, December 02, 2010, 09:51:28 AM

Punch

here is a longer behind the scenes video without the music
"oh you haven't truly watched a film if you didn't watch it on the big screen" mumbles the bourgeois dipshit

mogwai

I'm going to wait for the finished result in 2017.

Lottery

Nooo, it will be out next year.

The AD looked like Nic Refn in that video.

HeywoodRFloyd

Quote from: cigsandredvines on July 30, 2013, 07:27:53 PM
3) A few have inquired, and we can now confirm through a source on the ground: Inherent Vice WILL, like The Master, have an aspect ratio of 1.85:1. Many of you already know what this means, but for those not interested in technical gobbledygook, the size of the frame that the shots are being composed for will be less wide than the first five PTA films, which all preserve 2.35:1.

I'm kinda shocked this is the case to be honest, in my head I definitely thought the material lends itself to be shot in cinemascope.

Interested if he's shooting anamorphic, but framing for 1.85:1 or if he's shooting spherical. I'm guessing it's anamorphic considering his infatuation with the lens flares and all, but you never know

modage

He's shooting 1:85:1.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

HeywoodRFloyd

So he's not doing a Master job and cropping the frame later to 1.85:1 from an anamorphic negative? That makes sense as the 'source on the ground' probably realised they were using spherical lenses rather than anamorphic

Pubrick

i think this is going to be an actual funny movie. very few such films have ever been shot in 2.35.

PDL was a reluctant comedy, i think the ratio was partly why the film was not a big hit. and i mean that because the movie was more concerned with filling out the frame with hilarious gags in the background than bringing the humour to the front. look at Luis Guzman smashing the plungers in the background in that one shot after Barry takes a phone call in his office. it's funny but it's still about the phone call and there's really nothing else to focus on other than barry and his plight.

there's nowhere to hide in 1.85. in my mind this fits right in with the OBSESSION with cast announcements on this film. has a film's production ever been so concerned exclusively with the introduction of new cast members? this has been so odd to me that i just can't get over it and i'm pretty sure this is partly PTA's intention. the movie is almost finished shooting and we're still getting weird news articles saying so and so has "joined" the cast of Inherent Vice.

why so many faces? this movie will make ALL of them memorable. yes like his old ensemble films, but with a difference. except for JP every single one of these people are new to the PTA world, he has never before embraced a new group of people so openly. don't dismiss this aspect of the film. i think it'll be a major factor in understanding what he's trying to do.

1.85, comedy, new faces.. this feels like a release of tension after the epic single-character shit he's been doing. it's a strong punctuation on a long journey of amazing bullshit still to come.
under the paving stones.

modage

Good point. I think it's also because the films of that era were mostly in this aspect ratio.

Also: so and so has "joined" the cast of Inherent Vice.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Punch

20 kilos of movie heroin

and

470 feet of dolly track

behind the scenes pics from inherent vice

(attachments below)
"oh you haven't truly watched a film if you didn't watch it on the big screen" mumbles the bourgeois dipshit

Frederico Fellini

Joanna Newsom looks a bit like Fiona apple.

Just saying.
We fought against the day and we won... WE WON.

Cinema is something you do for a billion years... or not at all.

Kellen

stoked for the joanna news!

ono

Quote from: Freddie on August 08, 2013, 01:56:47 PM
Joanna Newsom looks a bit like Fiona apple.

Just saying.

P Heat

The Joanna Newsom news to me is amazing....   Didn't even think PTA listened to her music before. If you don't know who she is, Ms. Newsom is really good at remembering some really long lyrics, so it would seem she would be good at some short script lines if she does indeed do some acting here. I think she'll be a music cameo like the blank tapes band.

here's some pictures of her on the set apparently - http://ezrakoequeen.tumblr.com/post/57709781336/joanna-newsom-on-the-set-of-inherent-vice
Quote from: Pubrick on September 11, 2012, 06:33:41 PM
anyway it was after i posted my first serious fanalysis. after the long post all he could say was that the main reason he wanted to see the master was cos of all the red heads.
:P

Jim Steele

Quote from: Larry Doc Sportello on August 09, 2013, 12:06:39 AM
with the backing of a major studio, our man got things rolling in a matter of months. this is a fucking dream

Quote from: Pubrick on July 09, 2013, 10:19:49 AM

that may be the only relation this has to boogie nights, having such a big cast set in a fun loving era. i think a more interesting comparison can be made to PDL.

love the comparison. check the lighting here

what video is that, did I miss something? is that a the behind the scenes one that that one guy uploaded to Youtube? Looks like a different angle or sumthin'. Link?

mogwai

Quote from: P Heat on August 10, 2013, 12:44:38 AM
The Joanna Newsom news to me is amazing....   Didn't even think PTA listened to her music before. If you don't know who she is, Ms. Newsom is really good at remembering some really long lyrics, so it would seem she would be good at some short script lines if she does indeed do some acting here. I think she'll be a music cameo like the blank tapes band.

here's some pictures of her on the set apparently - http://ezrakoequeen.tumblr.com/post/57709781336/joanna-newsom-on-the-set-of-inherent-vice

She's engaged with Andy Samberg who used to be on SNL. And Paul's better half also used to be on the same show. So that's probably why she got the gig.