the beat that my heart skipped

Started by pete, July 31, 2005, 11:22:30 PM

pete

just came back from this.  man, this world can benefit from more sensitive macho movies.  guy movies without the meatheadness.  the acting was great, the rhythm was great, the music was only okay though.  the movie felt a little detached, with some intense charisma coming from romain duris.  kid was suck a shmuck in l'auberge espagnol but in this film he's totally cool.  word.

anyone else seen this one yet?  I haven't seen the original "Fingers" by James Toback, is it any good?
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

cowboykurtis

the original is terrible - i was suprised upon first viewing - with the cult status it has, i though it would've been much better - in essence, the problem is with the direction - James Tovak is just not a terribly dynamic director ( and i think his filmography backs my opinion up) - i think the idea is somewhat intriguing and with the young keitel it very well could (and should) have been much stronger. Not a fan.
...your excuses are your own...

The Perineum Falcon

Yeah, I saw this.
I thought it was okay, nothing special.
We often went to the cinema, the screen would light up and we would tremble, but also, increasingly often, Madeleine and I were disappointed. The images had dated, they jittered, and Marilyn Monroe had gotten terribly old. We were sad, this wasn't the film we had dreamed of, this wasn't the total film that we all carried around inside us, this film that we would have wanted to make, or, more secretly, no doubt, that we would have wanted to live.

Ghostboy

I saw The Beat My Heart Skipped a few weeks ago and very nearly loved it. Romain Dupris is simply amazing.

So I watched Fingers last night, and it's got some intriguing stuff going on in it - particularly in Keitel's performance - and I found the first half really quite good (except for the horrible character of the father, who is simply an embarassment), and then it sort of falls apart when Jim Brown shows up. It's quite different from the remake - I wouldn't let a disinclination towards this defer you from the new version, which I think is excellent.

Watching Fingers, and listening to some of the commentary track, further cemented my suspicion that Toback is a bit of a prick.

Pubrick

Quote from: GhostboyThe Beat My Heart Skipped
that's what it should be called.
under the paving stones.

Ghostboy

Yeah, the that is really unwieldy.

SoNowThen

So, the consensus is that this is okay, but by no means essential viewing?

Cos I loved Fingers, and in the poster they make the lead guy look so much like Delon in his heyday, it really makes me wanna check it out...
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

pete

I dunno about essential viewing, but I think it's one of the better movies from this year.  the more I think about it, the more I liked it, too.  such is the power of them french.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

foray

I'd recommend this film to anyone. It's funny, tragic and the best thing for me - completely natural. Nothing seemed force, everything unfolded beautifully.

foray
touch me i'm sick

gob

I think it's a really great film.
Romain Duris' performance is fantastic, so much going on there.
I just really liked how the film is filled with so much energy but like I said most of it stems from the main man.
It's a good 'gangster' film in that it's not random geezers diving around shooting each other, messin' with the po-lice, snorting endless lines of coke etc etc. The main characters involved with getting rid of sitters from various properties rather than a mob hitman for example, which is refreshing. Another thing that struck me was the film's violence, which is affecting, realistic and serves the story and character.   

I'm interested in checking out some other movies by the director Jacques Audiard, anyone a fan of his other work? I know "Read My Lips" with Vincent Cassel is pretty well thought of...

Split Infinitive

I'm curious about what those who liked The Beat That My Heart Skipped liked about it in particular.  I did appreciate that it wasn't an umpteenth Scorsese knockoff, but it bored the hell out of me.  The protagonist was so bland and one-dimensional that if it hadn't been for the charisma of Duris, my eyelids would have snapped shut inside of twenty minutes.  He's about the only thing about the film that really worked.  Upon initial viewing, I felt it was just a mediocre variation on the genre picture, but after a few months of reflection, my estimation of it has plummeted.
Please don't correct me. It makes me sick.