I Saw The Devil

Started by modage, March 18, 2011, 10:33:06 AM

modage

from my blog:
I don't know what it is about Korean films, (abrupt changes of tone? complete lapses of logic? a general cultural divide?), but something keeps me from connecting with them. I've liked to varying degrees The Host, Oldboy, and Sympathy for Mr./Lady Vengeance among others but have never fulled loved one of these films, despite international acclaim. Korean revenge film I Saw The Devil, however, was a fairly stupid movie in any language.

Remember the end of Se7en? Brad Pitt's detective has to decide what to do to the serial killer who cut his pregnant wifes head off. He agonizes with the moral repercussions of his decision for a minute before deciding to kill him. It is a perfect finale to the film and one that makes the audience wrestle with their impulse for revenge while also positioning its uselessness. Now imagine instead if he had just beat the shit out of him, gave him a wad of money and let him go to continue killing people, so he could show up every now and again to beat the shit out of him some more. This would go on for 2 and 1/2 hours. That would have probably been the worst movie ever made, right? This is the plot of I Saw The Devil.

The shocking thing that it played at TIFF and Sundance and received extremely positive reviews. I think people assume that because they're reading subtitles the film is somehow smarter than it is because if this had been made in English it would have been laughed out of theatres. It's competently shot and acted but the script is utterly ridiculous. If you've seen Se7en and Zodiac you'll realize that Fincher's films have already said anything this film hoped to say, and done so much better (with character development and motivation to boot.) Oh well, the poster is still awesome.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

pete

I'm not sure about this movie, but your failure to connect with korean pictures, which in my mind, is kicking hollywood's ass with its mainstream multiplex movies and their abilities (or willingness?) to go ACTUALLY dark (as opposed to the batman-esque cartoon dark) is what makes that industry so exciting. What the Koreans are doing with violence is what the British are doing with comedy right now.
I'm pulling a P right now where I'm just having a reaction to something that smells like a bias, without having to see the film. I just disagree with your assertion that Fincher actually said anything in either of his movies. Though Kim Jee-Woon is equally superficial as a director. I'll come back after seeing this film.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

modage

Yeah I'd be interested to discuss. This movie has been universally acclaimed and I thought I was just really stupid.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.