Black Christmas (2006)

Started by MacGuffin, October 18, 2006, 12:12:52 PM

MacGuffin

Quote from: modage on October 09, 2006, 11:21:13 PM

hard to believe this was made by the same guy who did A Christmas Story, (though it maybe harder to believe so is this.  it's mostly pretty dull until the end which is so ambiguous that i almost wanted to re-evaluate it.  it is interesting to see the use of the killer POV before halloween and the "the call's coming from inside the house!" before When A Stranger Calls (or Scream for that matter).  there was a particularly creepy shot of the killers eye coming from behind a closet but the film is very low/non-existent on gore making it almost more of a suspense film than horror.

I'm Teasing Up a Black Christmas
Source: Cinematical

One of the very few good movies that Bob Clark can claim to have directed is the 1974 holiday chiller Black Christmas, a film that's been accurately cited as one of the original inspirations for what's now known as the American Slasher Renaissance. Long before Jason grabbed an axe, Freddy sharpened his claws and Mikey hacked his big sister to death, there was a sorority house full of kids who were hacked up solid over Christmas break.

MGM & Dimension decided that the flick was worthy of a remake, so they hired the two-man filmmaking unit that is Glen Morgan & James Wong (aka the guys who brought you Final Destination, The One and Willard) and ogled a late December release date. The original Black Christmas starred Margot Kidder, Olivia Hussey, Keir Dullea, John Saxon and Andrea Martin. The new version features the likes of Michelle Trachtenberg, Katie Cassidy, Mary Elizabeth Winstead, Lacey Chabert and ... Andrea Martin.

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Trailer

Release Date: December 25th, 2006 (wide) 

Starring: Michelle Trachtenberg, Oliver Hudson, Mary Elizabeth Winstead, Katie Cassidy, Lacey Chabert

Directed by: Glen Morgan (Final Desintation; Willard)

Premise: "Black Christmas" is a remake of the 1974 slasher classic about a psycho terrorizing a sorority house during the holiday season.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Christmas horror movie offends religious groups

NEW YORK -- Moviegoers seeking a bit of seasonal entertainment are being offered blood and terror alongside Santa and his reindeer -- much to the horror of religious groups.

Movie studio Dimension Films has remade a cult hit from 1974 about a group of female students being terrorized by a killer during Christmas and is releasing the film, "Black Christmas," on December 25 -- tagging it as the "ultimate slay ride."

But religious groups have condemned the timing of the release of the R-rated slasher movie as tasteless and offensive.

"To have a movie that emphasizes murder and mayhem at Christmas, a time of celebration and joy around the world seems to be ill founded," said Mathew Staver, founder and chairman of Liberty Counsel, an organization dedicated to upholding religious freedom and traditional family values.

Jennifer Giroux, who co-founded Operation Just Say Merry Christmas as a way to reclaim the season for Christians, said it was abominable to release this film on Christmas Day.

"The use of religious music -- 'Silent Night' -- and the nativity set on the front porch in one scene are insensitive to Christians," Giroux said after watching the trailer online.

"It's not enough to ignore and omit Christmas, but now it has to be offended, insulted and desecrated. Our most sacred holiday, actually a holy day, is being assaulted."

But Dimension Films was unmoved. In a statement, the company said, "There is a long tradition of releasing horror movies during the holiday season as counter-programming to the more regular yuletide fare. 'Black Christmas' is a remake of a classic 1974 horror movie with a big cult following."

Skeleton FilmWorks

Pubrick

Quote from: MacGuffin on December 16, 2006, 01:06:00 AM
But Dimension Films was unmoved. In a statement, the company said, "There is a long tradition of releasing horror movies during the holiday season as counter-programming to the more regular yuletide fare. 'Black Christmas' is a remake of a classic 1974 horror movie with a big cult following."
in other words: shut the fuck up, you stupid, fanatical, nothing-better-to-do "Christian" groups. can't you stop judging for one sacred second of your own precious holiday?
under the paving stones.

polkablues

Rednecks: "Hey, buddy!  C'mere!  Mr. Funny-man, c'mere!  Hey, buddy, we're Christians, and we don't like what you said."

Bill Hicks: "So, then... forgive me."                   (pause)                  "Later, when I was hanging from the tree..."
My house, my rules, my coffee

matt35mm

Quote from: MacGuffin on December 16, 2006, 01:06:00 AM
Liberty Counsel, an organization dedicated to upholding religious freedom...

And whose freedom is being attacked?

Oh yeah, Dimension's.  By the Liberty Counsel.

modage

it would've been better if they saw the movie and said they were offended not because it had to do with murder on christmas but because it was so terrible.  but then, i guess they would've thrown a shit-fit a few months ago when The Santa Clause 3: The Escape Clause was released.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.