Bastards (Les Saluds)

Started by wilder, June 27, 2013, 09:14:03 AM

wilder

Captain on a container-ship, Marco Silvestri is called urgently back to Paris. His sister, Sandra, is desperate... her husband has committed suicide, the family business has gone under, her daughter has gone adrift. Sandra accuses the powerful businessman, Edouard Laporte responsible. Marco moves into the building where Laporte's mistress lives with his son. What Marco hadn't foreseen are Sandra's shameful, secret manœuvres... and his love for Raphaëlle which could ruin everything.

Directed by Claire Denis
Written by Calire Denis and Jean-Pol Fargeau
Cinematography by Agnès Godard
Starring Vincent London, Chiara Mastroianni, Julie Bataille
Release Date - TBD

Ghostboy

Still wrestling with this one. I really want to see it again but it was the first Denis film since I Can't Sleep to leave me cold...

max from fearless

Left me cold too, I'm afraid. Some incredible moments such as the pair in the lift and the opening scene but overall it didn't build to much, though it was really interesting to see Denis flex her noir/suspense muscles.
I did admire the bleakness of it for some reason...Need to see it again....

wilder

MacGuffin

Sundance Selects to Release Claire Denis' Cannes Drama 'Bastards'
Source: Indiewire

Sundance Selects has acquired U.S. rights to Claire Denis' "Bastards," starring Vincent Lindon and Chiara Mastroianni. The film, which world premiered at the 2013 Cannes Film Festival, will make its U.S. premiere next month at the New York Film Festival, following its North American one in Toronto. The company plans to release it October 25th.

"Claire Denis is a remarkable filmmaker who has once again created a powerful work of cinema," said Jonathan Sehring, President of Sundance Selects/IFC Films." "'Bastards' is a complex, thought-provoking addition to her already impressive body of work. We look forward to working with her again."

Here's the plot synopsis per Sundance Selects: "Bastards" follows Marco Silvestri, a captain on a container-ship who is called urgently back to Paris by his desperate sister Sandra. Sandra's husband has committed suicide, the family business has gone under, her daughter has gone adrift - and she holds powerful businessman Edouard Laporte responsible. Determined to exact a terrible revenge for the violence done to his family, Marco moves into the building where Laporte's mistress Raphaelle lives; but he can't avoid Sandra's secret manipulations... or the fact that he is falling in love with Raphaelle.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

wilder