McTiernan: Post Rollerball

Started by markums2k, July 16, 2003, 09:55:03 AM

markums2k

So, anyone seen Basic yet,?  It was just released on DVD.  I seriously meant to see it in the theater but I missed it.  I'll probably rent it today.  Any thoughts?

Pubrick

it's a piece of shit.

no, wait, that was rollerball.

ok Basic can be a dark mucus substance an old smoker may cough up.
under the paving stones.

chainsmoking insomniac

Quote from: markums2kSo, anyone seen Basic yet,?  It was just released on DVD.  I seriously meant to see it in the theater but I missed it.  I'll probably rent it today.  Any thoughts?

Markums, you really like shitty directors/movies, dontcha?  :?
"Ernest Hemingway once wrote: 'The world's a fine place, and worth fighting for.'  I agree with the second part."
    --Morgan Freeman, Se7en

"Have you ever fucking seen that...? Ever seen a mistake in nature?  Have you ever seen an animal make a mistake?"
 --Paul Schneider, All the Real Girls

markums2k

Quote from: Ghoulardi Goon
Quote from: markums2kSo, anyone seen Basic yet,?  It was just released on DVD.  I seriously meant to see it in the theater but I missed it.  I'll probably rent it today.  Any thoughts?

Die Hard with a Vengence is one of my favorite movies of all time.  A shame they didn't stick with the original ending.  However, I feel my lack of intelligence and taste is more than balanced by my uncanny ability to grow facial hair.

Actually, let me re-phrase the question for all future posters: Does Basic suck as bad as Rollerball or not?

markums2k

And PLEASE fix your signature, Goon.  Nobody benefits from a mis-quote.

"Ernest Hemingway once [wrote]: 'The world's a fine place, and worth fighting for.' I agree with the [second part]."

chainsmoking insomniac

Quote from: markums2k
Quote from: Ghoulardi Goon

Die Hard with a Vengence is one of my favorite movies of all time.  A shame they didn't stick with the original ending.  However, I feel my lack of intelligence and taste is more than balanced by my uncanny ability to grow facial hair.

Actually, let me re-phrase the question for all future posters: Does Basic suck as bad as Rollerball or not?

And you mock me for liking PTA's films.  Whew, bud, you've got balls.  And no brains.
"Ernest Hemingway once wrote: 'The world's a fine place, and worth fighting for.'  I agree with the second part."
    --Morgan Freeman, Se7en

"Have you ever fucking seen that...? Ever seen a mistake in nature?  Have you ever seen an animal make a mistake?"

chainsmoking insomniac

Quote from: markums2kAnd PLEASE fix your signature, Goon.  Nobody benefits from a mis-quote.

"Ernest Hemingway once [wrote]: 'The world's a fine place, and worth fighting for.' I agree with the [second part]."

If it bothers you, I'll keep it.  :lol:
    --Morgan Freeman, Se7en

markums2k

Quote from: Ghoulardi GoonAnd you mock me for liking PTA's films. Whew, bud, you've got balls. And no brains.

Holy shit, buddy.  Since when?  I'll just stop acknowledging everything you say if you're not going to pay attention.  That's that.

chainsmoking insomniac

Just joking pal.   :wink:

Yeah, I have a less than slightly healthy PTA film fixation.  I've tried all sorts of drugs, counseling, even Alan Rickman movies....but the only treatment that has temporarily alleviated this syndrome is...

Yep, you guessed it: Cigarettes and Coffee.  8)
    --Morgan Freeman, Se7en

Alethia

Quote from: Ghoulardi GoonJust joking pal.   :wink:

Yeah, I have a less than slightly healthy PTA film fixation.  I've tried all sorts of drugs, counseling, even Alan Rickman movies....but the only treatment that has temporarily alleviated this syndrome is...

Yep, you guessed it: Cigarettes and Coffee.  8)

that was beautiful.

Ghostboy

Basic sucks. Not as bad as Rollerball, but you'd be better off just watching Die Hard 1 or 3 again if you want a McTiernan fix. Or even Thomas Crown Affair or 13th Warrior.

ono

Quote from: GhostboyOr even ... 13th Warrior.
Heh, that must be really bad.  13th Warrior is one of the worst movies I've ever seen.

Ghostboy

I'm one of the rare people who actually thought 13th Warrior had a lot of really good material in it. You could often see how it was, at some point, heading towards being a pretty good movie. Rollerball, on the other hand, is definitely one of the worst movies I've ever seen.

markums2k

Quote from: Onomatopoeia
Quote from: GhostboyOr even ... 13th Warrior.
Heh, that must be really bad.  13th Warrior is one of the worst movies I've ever seen.

I've never seen it.  I had absolutely no interest in it whatsoever.  I even used to like Crichton books (13th Warrior is adapted from a Crichton book, different title)... but they just make me cringe now.  Tried reading Timeline, but it's just so fucking blah.

After listening to McTiernan on the Die Hard DVDs, I just can't imagine that man making movies as bad as Rollerball, but he is.  I'll probably still rent Basic so I can judge it for myself.  I like my popcorn with butter, salt, and bitter resentment.

soylent greenish

LAST ACTION HERO !!!!
and DIE HARD is also a really great guilty pleasure film