NEON MERCURY's ++ ps360ii Lite ++ thread -weaning you off WoW since 07

Started by NEON MERCURY, November 09, 2003, 08:52:13 PM

Pas

socketlevel

Quote from: Stefen on May 17, 2011, 06:49:59 PM
Can you at least run around the map and wreak havoc? I never cared much for the stories in R* games, but mostly just spent my time running around acting a fool.

lol i love doing that too, but grows old fast.
the one last hit that spent you...

polkablues

My only issue with the game so far is there not being enough of a distinction between "doubt" and "lie". I've already botched a couple of interrogations because it wanted me to whip out a piece of evidence, but the situation didn't seem to relate to it at all.
My house, my rules, my coffee

Myxo

I've heard a couple of very negative things said about L.A. Noire from hardcore gamers. The two biggest complaints are:

1. The cases are far too easy. I'm told you find clues as you're exploring in the game. But you aren't exactly given many items which are worthless. Just about everything you pick up is evidence or something used to solve a case. Most feel this makes the game too easy. As all you have to do is pick everything up you find and piece things together. Fans agree it would have been better had they mixed in some useless items to make things a little more confusing. You know, like a real crime scene.

2. How the main character interacts with NPCs is too simplistic. If you meet a "good" character with positive responses, that person isn't a likely culprit in cases you're solving. Conversely if you meet someone who resists questioning a lot or seems seedy, they are almost always involved somehow in the crime you're solving. Fans claim this "dumbs down" the game and makes it too easy to know who you're getting the most valuable information from.

Pas

Those are facts.

The cases are way too simple. The combat is way too easy. Everything is just going through the motions for me.

I don't regret buying it because I expected it would Heavy Rain-esque and it is. People who expected a Rockstar game will be disapointed.

Looking for clues in crime scenes is super boring. What would have been fun is Sherlock-Holmes-type enigmas but this is just : go look in the dumpster, find a gun, go to the gunshop, see the registry, go see the owner, arrest the owner, get a confession from the owner who was really the killer. Case over.

I want cults, I want identical twins, I want freaky shit, twists.

Maybe later in the game??? Can those who are advanced tell me?

cinemanarchist

Quote from: Pas on May 18, 2011, 01:39:23 PM
Those are facts.

The cases are way too simple. The combat is way too easy. Everything is just going through the motions for me.

I don't regret buying it because I expected it would Heavy Rain-esque and it is. People who expected a Rockstar game will be disapointed.

Looking for clues in crime scenes is super boring. What would have been fun is Sherlock-Holmes-type enigmas but this is just : go look in the dumpster, find a gun, go to the gunshop, see the registry, go see the owner, arrest the owner, get a confession from the owner who was really the killer. Case over.

I want cults, I want identical twins, I want freaky shit, twists.

Maybe later in the game??? Can those who are advanced tell me?

I can not tell you as I only started playing yesterday, but I will agree with all that has been previously stated. It is very easy and the mysteries are a little too straight-forward, but of course this may change later on in the game. It really is like an interactive movie or tv series and I only partially mean that as a compliment. It's very apparent that this whole thing is laid out for you and it's just up to you to fit the peg into the hole to move onto the next page of the script. It's good to great entertainment, but I don't think it's a particularly amazing game. It is fun to think about everyone who buys this guy to drive around and run people over, only to find out that you can't. Also, don't accidently drive through a crime scene (not even a little bit) or you will have to start over. Realistic, but kind of annoying.
My assholeness knows no bounds.

Stefen

It's just not fun. It's one of those games where it plays itself for you. I'm only a few hours in but so far it's just not fun.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Pas

2 so far... so much overhype for this game.

Quote from: Pas on May 17, 2011, 06:42:47 PM
so, who's gonna be the first the admit that L.A. Noire is a lot of things but not fun?

Quote from: Stefen on May 19, 2011, 12:07:09 PM
It's just not fun. It's one of those games where it plays itself for you. I'm only a few hours in but so far it's just not fun.

Stefen

It just plays itself for you. I don't like that. It's not really a videogame. It's just a presentation. It's glossy and all you have to do is press up or A whenever it tells you to.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

cinemanarchist

Quote from: Stefen on May 19, 2011, 12:22:36 PM
It just plays itself for you. I don't like that. It's not really a videogame. It's just a presentation. It's glossy and all you have to do is press up or A whenever it tells you to.

Did you play Heavy Rain? If so, was it even less of a game? I still like L.A. Noire, but I feel like I'll play it when I'm in the mood to read or watch a good crime movie, not when I want to play a game....which is weird.

Stefen

Yeah, I played heavy rain and I enjoyed it very much. But I liked it because it was creepy. Very physological. This one is just repetitive.

I'm only about 4 hours in so maybe I shouldn't judge yet, but so far it's just not fun.

polkablues

Have you guys tried playing it with all the hint features disabled? The vibration cue when you're next to a clue, the change in the music to let you know you've found all the clues at a scene, and I think the sounds during an interrogation that tell you if you chose correctly or not can be turned off, which really reduces the sense of hand-holding.

cinemanarchist

Quote from: polkablues on May 19, 2011, 01:04:34 PM
Have you guys tried playing it with all the hint features disabled? The vibration cue when you're next to a clue, the change in the music to let you know you've found all the clues at a scene, and I think the sounds during an interrogation that tell you if you chose correctly or not can be turned off, which really reduces the sense of hand-holding.

I have not, though I think it's the repetitiveness and not the hand-holding that's most troublesome and the fact that you really can't fail unless you do something really stupid (ie driving through crime scene) or get shot many many times. You either have to love the atmosphere, which I do, or you'll find yourself quite bored.

polkablues

Personally, I love the game outright, but one aspect that bugged me was a seeming lack of tension, based on the low stakes inherent in always knowing where a clue is and when you're done searching. The moment I tried playing without those hints, I found that tension. I was instantaneously more engrossed in the investigation segments. For anyone who's having a hard time getting into the game, I would recommend they try playing it that way before giving up on it.

Pubrick

under the paving stones.