Music Video's ???

Started by prophet, July 13, 2003, 11:37:37 PM

prophet

Lets say you want to have 3 locations in the video do you need to shoot the video from start to end in each location to have an easyer time editing it and being able to do lots of cuts? or is there a easyer way?or is it ALLL about planning? can someone give me a diagram (if there is even one) on how a video should be structured? or the structure of a song?
We gonna do a little Q&A Mr. Worley, and at the risk of sounding redundant please... make your answers Genuine...

MacGuffin

With music videos, continuity is thrown out the window. Do a few takes (all the way through if you have the artist(s) with you because you will need footage of them singing/playing - they are musicians after all, right?) to give yourself some choice in the editing room, but don't make more work for yourself by doing many because you'll just end up using seconds at a time. Also, inserts can be a big help in transitions, so take time to shoot those as well. It's best to be prepared, but, just like shooting a film, allow yourself to be open to happy accidents when they arise. Get a copy of the lyrics and use that as your script in a way as a source if ideas and inspiration, and ask the artist(s) if they have any ideas (it is their song anyway, and they are promoting themselves to look good to sell records). Hope this helps.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

prophet

We gonna do a little Q&A Mr. Worley, and at the risk of sounding redundant please... make your answers Genuine...

Alethia

use as few cuts as possible

Cecil

Quote from: ewarduse as few cuts as possible

thats the best advice for a music video right there

Alethia

one of the best examples of this is the music video for that sinead o'connor song called "nothing compares to you", the entire time it's just one tight close-up on her as she sings it and begins to cry towards the end.  very affecting.

...or you could just have christopher walken dancing through a hotel and you'll have an equally great music video  :wink:

prophet

true. or have a nude black dude covered in babyoil

mutinyco

I think some of the best videos ever made have quite a deal of cutting. See all of Fincher's old videos or the work of Chrus Cunningham or Mark Romanek. It's more work, but I think you'd impress people more if you used really tight cutting to go with the music. Of course, it depends what type of music you're doing it to.
"I believe in this, and it's been tested by research: he who fucks nuns will later join the church."

-St. Joe

Alethia

rapid cutting in music videos tends to annoy the shit out of me.  it feels like they think a music video "has" to have it.  nothing wrong with it if its used appropriately of course, but it rarely is in my opinion.

chainsmoking insomniac

Quote from: ewardone of the best examples of this is the music video for that sinead o'connor song called "nothing compares to you", the entire time it's just one tight close-up on her as she sings it and begins to cry towards the end.  very affecting.

...or you could just have christopher walken dancing through a hotel and you'll have an equally great music video  :wink:

Eward, that video was totally moving.  I don't even like her music per se, but that long take just clinches it for me.

Two other videos come to mind which are really great: PTA's video for Michael Penn ("Try") and his video for Fiona Apple, "Across the Universe".
"Ernest Hemingway once wrote: 'The world's a fine place, and worth fighting for.'  I agree with the second part."
    --Morgan Freeman, Se7en

"Have you ever fucking seen that...? Ever seen a mistake in nature?  Have you ever seen an animal make a mistake?"
 --Paul Schneider, All the Real Girls

RegularKarate

As long as the editing fits the feel of the video, it's good.

Don't say "don't cut a lot" or "cut a lot"... see what works... build it in your head.

As far as the question goes, if they're playing the song, you want to shoot the entire song each time for good sync... unless, like Mac said, you're just cutting to it a few short times.

but if you have three locations where the band is playing, then you'll have more coverage if they sing the whole song.

prophet

i like that video by that english guy it was a long time ago maybe 3 he is in this room with couches and the ground is moving and he has a big fluffy top hat and i think his name was something mqire or something.

chainsmoking insomniac

That narrows it down.  Thanks.
"Ernest Hemingway once wrote: 'The world's a fine place, and worth fighting for.'  I agree with the second part."
    --Morgan Freeman, Se7en

"Have you ever fucking seen that...? Ever seen a mistake in nature?  Have you ever seen an animal make a mistake?"
 --Paul Schneider, All the Real Girls

MacGuffin

Quote from: propheti like that video by that english guy it was a long time ago maybe 3 he is in this room with couches and the ground is moving and he has a big fluffy top hat and i think his name was something mqire or something.

"Virtual Insanity" - Jamiroquai
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

prophet