Criterion News and Discussion

Started by Gold Trumpet, January 16, 2003, 06:18:19 PM

Mr. Merrill Lehrl

Quote from: Reelist on May 05, 2011, 09:42:05 PM
Yeah. One real, one fake.

(w/country accent) What in the hell are you sayin'?

You found those here:  http://fakecriterions.tumblr.com/ ?  And you found out about the site from Edgar Wright's recent blog entry:  http://www.edgarwrighthere.com/2011/05/02/fake-criterions-dont/ ?  That happened to me recently as well, and I thought the site was funny enough.  Although they're not good Criterion covers in the sense that they'd make good real covers, they're good in that they're funny and mostly in-jokes.

"If I had to hold up the most heavily fortified bank in America," Bolaño says, "I'd take a gang of poets. The attempt would probably end in disaster, but it would be beautiful."

OrHowILearnedTo

There is a thread on the auters.com with some actual good ones. That blog sucks.

Mr. Merrill Lehrl

Quote from: OrHowILearnedTo on May 06, 2011, 05:13:01 AM
There is a thread on the auters.com with some actual good ones. That blog sucks.

Oh...kay.  Woulda probably linked or given an example along with that, but whatever.  I can spell auteurs without you.
"If I had to hold up the most heavily fortified bank in America," Bolaño says, "I'd take a gang of poets. The attempt would probably end in disaster, but it would be beautiful."

OrHowILearnedTo

Mr. Merrill Lehrl

Quote from: OrHowILearnedTo on May 06, 2011, 10:41:43 PM
here you go fucker http://mubi.com/topics/2132

Wow there are a ton!  I browsed through and looks like there are plenty of great ones, you were right.  Thanks, asshole.

Ravi

Reinhold

Kubrick's The Killing among lots of other good stuff is coming in august.

edit: ah, fuck me. well done below
Quote from: Pas Rap on April 23, 2010, 07:29:06 AM
Obviously what you are doing right now is called (in my upcoming book of psychology at least) validation. I think it's a normal thing to do. People will reply, say anything, and then you're gonna do what you were subconsciently thinking of doing all along.

The Perineum Falcon

More excitement:

DIRECTOR-APPROVED SPECIAL EDITION:

•New digital restoration, approved by director Roman Polanski (with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray edition)
•Two Gangsters and an Island, a 2003 short documentary about the making of Cul-de-sac, featuring interviews with Polanski, producer Gene Gutowski, and cinematographer Gil Taylor
•Interview with Polanski from 1967
•Theatrical trailers
•PLUS: A booklet featuring an essay by film critic David Thompson

•New high-definition digital restoration (with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray edition)
•New video interview with producer James B. Harris
•Excerpts of interviews with actor Sterling Hayden from the French television series Cinéma cinémas
•New video interview with film scholar Robert Polito about writer Jim Thompson and his work on The Killing
Restored transfer of Stanley Kubrick's 1955 noir feature Killer's Kiss
•New video appreciation of Killer's Kiss with film critic Geoffrey O'Brien
•Theatrical trailers
•PLUS: A booklet featuring an essay by film historian Haden Guest and a reprinted interview with Marie Windsor on The Killing

•New digital transfer, supervised and approved by director Lee Chang-dong and cinematographer Cho Yong-kyu (with DTS-HD Master Audio on the Blu-ray edition)
•New interview with Lee
•On the Set of "Secret Sunshine," a video piece featuring interviews with actors Jeon Do-yeon and Song Kang-ho, as well as behind-the-scenes footage
•U.S. theatrical trailer
•New and improved English subtitle translation
•PLUS: A booklet featuring an essay by film critic Dennis Lim

*Intimidation
*The Warped Ones
*I Hate But Love
*Black Sun
*Thirst For Love

•New high-definition digital restoration (with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray edition)
•Audio commentary by French film scholar James Williams
•Jean Cocteau: Autobiography of an Unknown, a 1984 feature-length documentary
•Video piece from 2008 featuring assistant director Claude Pinoteau on the special effects in the film
•40 Minutes with Jean Cocteau, an interview with the director from 1957
•In Search of Jazz, a 1956 interview with Cocteau on the use of jazz in the film
•La villa Santo-Sospir, a 16 mm color Cocteau film from 1951
•Gallery of images by French film portrait photographer Roger Corbeau
•Raw newsreel footage
•Theatrical trailer
•PLUS: A booklet featuring an essay by author Mark Polizzotti, selected Cocteau writings on the film, and an essay on La villa Santo-Sospir by Williams

And what I'm most excited about:
The Complete Jean Vigo
(no cover yet)
•New high-definition digital restorations of all of Jean Vigo's films: À propos de Nice, Taris, Zéro de conduite, and L'Atalante (with uncompressed monaural soundtracks on the Blu-ray edition)
•Audio commentaries featuring Michael Temple, author of Jean Vigo
•Alternate shots from À propos de Nice, featuring footage Vigo cut from the film
•Animated tribute to Vigo by filmmaker Michel Gondry
•Ninety-minute 1964 episode of the French television series Cinéastes de notre temps on Vigo, directed by Jacques Rozier
•Conversation from 1968 between filmmakers François Truffaut and Eric Rohmer on L'Atalante
•Les voyages de "L'Atalante," Bernard Eisenschitz's 2001 documentary tracking the history of the film
•Video interview from 2007 with director Otar Iosseliani on Vigo
•New and improved English subtitle translations
•PLUS: A booklet featuring essays by film writers Michael Almereyda, Robert Polito, B. Kite, and Luc Sante

plus Blu-Ray updates:
If...
Battle of Algiers
We often went to the cinema, the screen would light up and we would tremble, but also, increasingly often, Madeleine and I were disappointed. The images had dated, they jittered, and Marilyn Monroe had gotten terribly old. We were sad, this wasn't the film we had dreamed of, this wasn't the total film that we all carried around inside us, this film that we would have wanted to make, or, more secretly, no doubt, that we would have wanted to live.

Stefen

That cover of The Killing looks like a fake cover someone created.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

matt35mm

Quote from: Stefen on May 16, 2011, 07:40:44 PM
That cover of The Killing looks like a fake cover someone created.

Yeah, I vaguely remember something where there were a bunch of artists who drew pictures for Criterions that didn't exist, but they weren't doing it as a joke and they were actually really good. I know I saw that image about 3 or 4 months ago somewhere. Probably in this thread.

EDIT:

Yeah, like 10 pages back:

http://criterioncast.com/2010/09/07/all-tomorrows-parties-poster-art-revealed/

I guess these were commissioned by Criterion in the first place and they just really liked that picture. It's a good picture.

polkablues

Dammit, I went and tracked it down, then came back and you had already found it.

http://xixax.com/index.php?topic=174.msg296375#msg296375
My house, my rules, my coffee

matt35mm

Quote from: polkablues on May 16, 2011, 09:15:47 PM
Dammit, I went and tracked it down, then came back and you had already found it.

http://xixax.com/index.php?topic=174.msg296375#msg296375

I thought it'd make me seem like an asshole if I just said "it's somewhere on this thread" and just left it at that, as if I were too lazy to at least go back a few pages, so I dug it up. But now that made you waste your time and I still come off as an asshole. I can't win!

samsong

more kieslowski on criterion.  pumped about this one.  hopefully the decalogue is around the corner.

Stefen

It's definitely three colors.

Red was just added yesterday to the criterion collection on hulu. I'm hoping for a sweet boxset.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Gold Trumpet

The original DVD boxset is actually very good. I don't know if I will be updating. Hopefully not.