Criterion News and Discussion

Started by Gold Trumpet, January 16, 2003, 06:18:19 PM

modage

In APRIL: Le Cerce Rouge and Fear and Loathing In Las Vegas on Blu-ray.  And...

Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

john

Blow Out is the best announcement I've heard in a while.

I've been waiting for them to officially announce it for some time and, now that they have, I'm pretty goddamn excited.
Maybe every day is Saturday morning.

Gold Trumpet

May titles.

* New, restored digital transfer, supervised by director of photography Tak Fujimoto and approved by director Jonathan Demme, with DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack on the Blu-ray edition
    * New video interviews with Demme and writer E. Max Frye
    * Original theatrical trailer
    * PLUS: A booklet featuring a new essay by film critic David Thompson

* New high-definition digital restoration (with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray edition)
    * New video interview with director Masahiro Shinoda
    * Selected-scene audio commentary by film scholar Peter Grilli, coproducer of Music for the Movies: Toru Takemitsu
    * Original theatrical trailer
    * New and improved English subtitle translation
    * PLUS: A new essay by film critic Chuck Stephens

* High-definition digital restoration (with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray edition)
    * Audio essay by Andrei Tarkovsky scholars Vida Johnson and Graham Petrie, coauthors of The Films of Andrei Tarkovsky: A Visual Fugue
    * Nine deleted and alternate scenes
    * Video interviews with actress Natalya Bondarchuk, cinematographer Vadim Yusov, art director Mikhail Romadin, and composer Eduard Artemyev
    * Excerpt from a documentary about Stanislaw Lem, the author of the film's source novel
    * PLUS: A booklet featuring an essay by critic Phillip Lopate and an appreciation by director Akira Kurosawa

* New digital restoration (with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray edition)
    * Selected-scene commentary by French-film scholar Kelley Conway
    * New video interview with Serge Bromberg, codirector of Henri-Georges Clouzot's Inferno
    * New video interview with horror film expert Kim Newman
    * New and improved English subtitle translation
    * PLUS: A booklet featuring a new essay by film critic Terrence Rafferty

Stefen

Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

The Perineum Falcon

Also, this:

•New high-definition digital restoration (with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray edition)
•New audio commentary by Charlie Chaplin historians Dan Kamin and Hooman Mehran
•The Tramp and the Dictator (2001), a documentary narrated by filmmaker Kenneth Branagh and featuring interviews with author Ray Bradbury, director Sidney Lumet, historian Arthur Schlesinger Jr., screenwriter Budd Schulberg, and a host of others
•Two new visual essays, by Chaplin archivist Cecilia Cenciarelli and Chaplin biographer Jeffrey Vance
•On-set, color production footage shot by Chaplin's half-brother, Sydney
•Deleted scene from Chaplin's 1919 film Sunnyside
•Theatrical trailer
•PLUS: A booklet featuring an essay by film critic Michael Wood and a 1940 article by Chaplin on the film

Here's hopin The Kid's next.
We often went to the cinema, the screen would light up and we would tremble, but also, increasingly often, Madeleine and I were disappointed. The images had dated, they jittered, and Marilyn Monroe had gotten terribly old. We were sad, this wasn't the film we had dreamed of, this wasn't the total film that we all carried around inside us, this film that we would have wanted to make, or, more secretly, no doubt, that we would have wanted to live.

john

Curiously light features on Something Wild - which is too bad considering it's my second most anticipated release so far this year (following Blow Out). Kind of uninspired cover, too... but very glad at that I'll have it on Blu nevertheless.

Alexandro

Quote from: Stefen on February 14, 2011, 12:47:03 PM
I love that Solaris cover.

Yes, it makes want to see the film right now. Great work.

modage

Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

tpfkabi

Interesting...I just got the old DVD's of Blow Out and Something's Wild during all the video rental store closings last year.
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

socketlevel

that great dictator cover is amazing

not a fan of the solaris, i liked the dvd one more
the one last hit that spent you...

Pubrick

Quote from: socketlevel on February 14, 2011, 06:20:50 PM

i wouldn't call it amazing.

maybe it was unintentional but it's cool that the hat upside down kinda looks like a torso with little arms, but when you flip it with the hair at the bottom it doesn't look like anything at all. it's kinda lazy really, when you think about it, not about the torso but just the concept.

this new batch of covers is typical of modern era criterion. they only slightly better than regular covers in that they don't feature giant effing faces of the actors and try to go on the appeal of the film itself to its ready-made audience of film connoisseurs.

and has he always been credit as Charles Chaplin? or is that just to indicate that it's from his later output where he started talking and being a bit more serious.
under the paving stones.

john

Quote from: wilderesque on February 14, 2011, 05:11:15 PM
there's more than enough disappointment to go around...which kind of baffles me.

Quote from: wilderesque on February 14, 2011, 05:11:15 PM
Fat Girl blu-ray upgrade.

Sometimes we answer our own questions without even realizing it.

But, with the exception of Fat Girl, I'm with you... May is going to be pretty exciting month. Plentiful upgrades and some fantastic new additions.

The Perineum Falcon

Quote from: P on February 14, 2011, 06:32:49 PM
Quote from: socketlevel on February 14, 2011, 06:20:50 PM

i wouldn't call it amazing.

maybe it was unintentional but it's cool that the hat upside down kinda looks like a torso with little arms, but when you flip it with the hair at the bottom it doesn't look like anything at all. it's kinda lazy really, when you think about it, not about the torso but just the concept.
Yeah, especially lazy in that it's not even an original concept:

We often went to the cinema, the screen would light up and we would tremble, but also, increasingly often, Madeleine and I were disappointed. The images had dated, they jittered, and Marilyn Monroe had gotten terribly old. We were sad, this wasn't the film we had dreamed of, this wasn't the total film that we all carried around inside us, this film that we would have wanted to make, or, more secretly, no doubt, that we would have wanted to live.

socketlevel

ah come on, it captures the film's subject matter and the film maker by linking it in a great way. the mirror title also enhances the affect.
the one last hit that spent you...

Reel