Criterion News and Discussion

Started by Gold Trumpet, January 16, 2003, 06:18:19 PM

Fernando

Quote from: Gold Trumpet on July 15, 2010, 01:32:39 PM
Paths of Glory
   *  New, restored high-definition digital transfer (with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray edition)
    * New audio commentary by critic Gary Giddins
    * Television interview from 1979 with star Kirk Douglas
    * New video interviews with Kubrick's longtime executive producer Jan Harlan, Paths of Glory producer James B. Harris, and actress Christiane Kubrick
    * Excerpt from a French television program about real-life World War I executions similar to the events dramatized in Paths of Glory
    * Theatrical trailer
    * PLUS: An essay by Kubrick scholar James Naremore

holy crap! my jaw just dropped to the floor. malick and kubrick walking hand in hand with criterion, it can't get any better than that.

btw gt, now that malick's thin red line got the love, what about badlands? has that been talked as a possible future release?

Ravi

Quote from: Gold Trumpet on July 15, 2010, 03:35:49 PM
Lots of Chaplin is coming soon so unless you have a need to have Chaplin asap, hold off for the Criterion editions. I will try to better look into what else is coming as well.

I keep hearing about this.  I held off on buying the Warner/MK2 discs because they were PAL to NTSC converted.  I hope they release these on Blu-ray.

Gold Trumpet

Yes to Badlands and Criterion. With DVD sales going down, Warners has opened itself to Criterion for select film titles. Badlands has to be assumed as a major interest for Criterion and unless I am wrong about Warners still having ownership of the film, you should see them release it. When? I don't know, but the movement of Criterion releasing Thin Red Line so soon after Days of Heaven is excellent news for more Malick in the collection. I also expect more Kubrick to be released by Criterion in the future. Now that Warners has already debuted some Kubrick for Blu Ray, the dust on their special editions will start to collect very quickly and in the coming future, you could see Criterion releasing their own special editions.

As far as Chaplin is concerned, the major news is that Janus now is distributor for his entire film library. They are the theatrical overlord for Criterion's library and usually signify a DVD release down the pipeline. Of course, this news came last year in August and there hasn't been much DVD movement news yet, but Janus has already set up a theatrical campaign for his films. Of course, that always comes before the DVD releases anyways. Here is the poster. It debuted online last month and is done by Kate Beaver:

polkablues

Quote from: Gold Trumpet on July 15, 2010, 06:31:55 PM
Here is the poster. It debuted online last month and is done by Kate Beaver:

Kate Beaton.  Her Hark! A Vagrant is one of my favorite webcomics.
My house, my rules, my coffee

Gold Trumpet

Haha, five minutes after publishing the post, I knew I skimmed the name too quickly.  :yabbse-grin:

Pubrick

Nah, you think every girl's name is Beaver.
under the paving stones.

Gamblour.

Good still, seems like it's almost from a different film, but I don't think this captures the film very well. Definitely not my favorite Criterion art....
WWPTAD?

Fernando

damn you gamblour, beat me by 30 secs.

yeah, I expected better.

Pubrick

That's the worst cover I've ever seen.

He looks like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli.
under the paving stones.

cronopio 2

anyone knows when does the B&N sale finishes? some say the 1st, some say the 2nd, othhers de 3rd.  i'm going to Tijuana tomorrow and i'll be in the LA area from the 1st to the 8th.  If it ends on the 1st and i go to a store on that day, does that mean the discount  still applies ?

polkablues

When I was at the store last weekend, the guy told me the 3rd.
My house, my rules, my coffee

cronopio 2

i always thought you were australian, unless a) there are b&n in australia or b) you live outside australia.

cronopio 2

Pubrick

He's American and lives in Seattle.

There's no b&n here.
under the paving stones.

socketlevel

Quote from: P on July 27, 2010, 09:33:51 PM
He's American and lives in Seattle.

There's no b&n here.

same in canada, and it sucks because if i order online i'll get stuck with duty fees that will pretty much cover everything i saved...

oh well. too bad indigo isn't as cool for doing this kinda thing.
the one last hit that spent you...