Criterion News and Discussion

Started by Gold Trumpet, January 16, 2003, 06:18:19 PM

Gold Trumpet

Naw, no region free DVD player. The DVD player I use today is the one I bought in 1998 when DVD players were being advertised on infomercials late at night. I even remember Spike Lee headlining one. Cost me a lot of money at the time, but I was $50 short on getting the region free player. Still annoyed with that, but very happy my player still works great.

Pubrick

a couple of things:

1. i can't believe i know a filmmaker samsong hasn't heard of! those two troell films GT mentioned is how i know the dude and i think he was a favourite of kubrick too. get with it sambong!

2. GT. i know you live on the edge of the world, where if you sneeze at the wrong time you might fall into a deep abyss and never be heard from again.. but i believe that in a country like the USA you might be able to get a cheap dvd player for $30. i can easily purchase them here for cheaper. these cheap players will not only be better quality than the hand-cranked one you currently use, made back when dvd players still had to explain what the letters D V D meant and even had a small bracket next to it saying (not suitable for Compact Discs or sliced bread), they should also automatically be REGION FREE. --- my friend, listen to me closely.. IF it is not region free, buy a cheap as fuck player and search for the region free code online. it's that simple. you search for the make and model of the dvd player you have and "unlock region" or something and u'll get the code you simply have to press on your remote to make ANY player a region free player. honestly. region coding on dvd players is not a hardware issue, it's as simple as pressing a few numbers on your remote and OK. if dvd players still cost more than $40 then america is truly fucked.

the madman edition of Red Desert is excellent, i assumed it was stolen from a criterion edition like they do with everything else.
under the paving stones.

JG

i've seen everlasting moments and its pretty good. haven't seen any other Jan Troell though.

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: ρ on March 16, 2010, 12:08:38 AM
2. GT. i know you live on the edge of the world, where if you sneeze at the wrong time you might fall into a deep abyss and never be heard from again.. but i believe that in a country like the USA you might be able to get a cheap dvd player for $30. i can easily purchase them here for cheaper. these cheap players will not only be better quality than the hand-cranked one you currently use, made back when dvd players still had to explain what the letters D V D meant and even had a small bracket next to it saying (not suitable for Compact Discs or sliced bread), they should also automatically be REGION FREE. --- my friend, listen to me closely.. IF it is not region free, buy a cheap as fuck player and search for the region free code online. it's that simple. you search for the make and model of the dvd player you have and "unlock region" or something and u'll get the code you simply have to press on your remote to make ANY player a region free player. honestly. region coding on dvd players is not a hardware issue, it's as simple as pressing a few numbers on your remote and OK. if dvd players still cost more than $40 then america is truly fucked.

Haha, I understand my waiting game is self induced a little because I hadn't heard of the Madman edition at all. If I was a better investigator, I would have.

Do you know, are there quality versions of the Emigrants or The New Land available in other regions with quality English subtitles?

Pubrick

don't know of any good Emigrant or New Land releases right now.

best i could find was this bizarre home-made edition by some swede who has put the laserdisc english subs on a swedish dvd and made his own dvd illustrations. is this even legal?

they showed those films on tv a while back, but i first heard of the dude after accidentally finding a review for The Emigrants on Leonard Maltin's 1997 Movie Guide.. my bible in those days.  :yabbse-undecided:
under the paving stones.

Ostrich Riding Cowboy

Everyone's favorite movie about genital torture appears to be getting the Criterion Treatment.

Wacky Fox, indeed!
DIDI: I missed you . . . and at the same time I was happy. Isn't that a strange thing?

matt35mm

Stefen

LVT is always worthy of the Criterion treatment.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

Days of Heaven, Everlasting Moments, blu-ray By Brakhage, Thin Red Line, Antichrist...

Criterion is just loving my money nowadays.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

edison

* New, restored high-definition digital transfer (with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray edition)
    * Audio commentary by film historian Ian Christie, featuring interviews with stars Marius Goring and Moira Shearer, cinematographer Jack Cardiff, composer Brian Easdale, and filmmaker Martin Scorsese
    * Introductory restoration demonstration with Scorsese
    * Profile of "The Red Shoes" (2000), a twenty-five-minute documentary
    * Video interview with Thelma Schoonmaker Powell, Michael Powell's widow
    * Gallery from Scorsese's collection of The Red Shoes memorabilia
    * The "Red Shoes" Sketches, an animated film made from Hein Heckroth's painted storyboards
    * Readings by actor Jeremy Irons of excerpts from Powell and Pressburger's novelization of The Red Shoes and the original Hans Christian Andersen fairy tale
    * Theatrical trailer
    * PLUS: A booklet featuring an essay by Christie

* New, restored high-definition digital transfer (with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray edition)
    * Video introduction by French filmmaker Bertrand Tavernier
    * Audio commentary featuring the late director Michael Powell and filmmaker Martin Scorsese
    * The Audacious Adventurer, a 2006 video piece in which Tavernier discusses Black Narcissus and Powell
    * Profile of "Black Narcissus" (2000), a twenty-five-minute documentary
    * Painting with Light, a twenty-seven-minute documentary about Jack Cardiff's Oscar-winning cinematography on Black Narcissus
    * Original theatrical trailer
    * PLUS: A booklet featuring an essay by film critic Kent Jones

*  New high-definition digital transfers
    * New video interviews with Japanese film scholar Tadao Sato and film scholars David Bordwell and Kristin Thompson
    * New and improved English subtitle translations
    * PLUS: Booklets featuring essays by film scholar Tony Rayns and reprints of pieces by actor Chishu Ryu and scholar Donald Richie

*  New high-definition digital transfer, approved by director Abdellatif Kechiche (with DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack on the Blu-ray edition)
    * New video interview with Kechiche
    * Sueur, Kechiche's captivating extended version of the film's climactic belly dancing sequence, featuring a new introduction by the director
    * New video interview with film scholar Ludovic Cortade
    * Excerpt from a 20 heures television interview with Kechiche and actress Hafsia Herzi
    * Video interviews with Herzi, actress Bouraouïa Marzouk, and the film's musicians
    * Theatrical trailer
    * New and improved English subtitle translation
    * PLUS: A booklet featuring a new essay by film critic Wesley Morris

Pwaybloe

Pretty excited about Ozu's movies.  "The Only Son" is Ozu's first talkie. 

The Powell and Pressburger movies are no surprise since Scorsese has been swooning over the restorations for the last few months.  I swear the covers look fake.

Never heard of "The Covert Operations of Granules".   

Gold Trumpet

Very very happy about the Red Shoes. It makes me want to own a PS3 and get it on Blu Ray.

SiliasRuby

Same here GT. I saw 'The Red Shoes' a week ago and forgot to review it here. Just utter beauty.
The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection

samsong

i prefer black narcissus.  both are exciting and overdue re-releases.  more ozu is always good.

Pwaybloe