Criterion News and Discussion

Started by Gold Trumpet, January 16, 2003, 06:18:19 PM

tpfkabi

I saw the e-mail yesterday.

Which ones have the 'must have' type of extras that probably won't carry over to any future edition?
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

modage

Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

samsong

also:

by brakhage: an anthology - volume 2 sold as a separate sd disc.  all three may titles also have blu-ray releases.  i'm pumped.  love all the may covers.

Ravi

Pubrick

walkabout cover is the best i've seen in years.

it's not a screencap from the film is it? i don't remember a shot like that.. but i recognize the elements.

amazing, that's exactly what the movie feels like.
under the paving stones.

mogwai

Quote from: ρ on February 12, 2010, 10:43:16 PM

it's not a screencap from the film is it? i don't remember a shot like that.. but i recognize the elements.

Is a blind buy recommended?

Ravi

The boy was included on the original Criterion cover, without the car.

I think this shot was a screencap from the film, though I'm not sure.  But yeah, that cover perfectly captures the feel of the film.  I want that as a poster.

samsong

Quote from: Mogwai on February 13, 2010, 01:18:12 AM

Is a blind buy recommended?

absolutely.  same goes for the rest of nicholas roeg's films.

Gamblour.

WWPTAD?

Ravi

samsong

Quote from: Ravi on February 17, 2010, 02:14:07 PM

Fritz the Cat?

the newsletter promises terry zwigoff's induction into the criterion collection -- about which i'm elated -- in which case the ostensible fritz the cat reference could only mean crumb.  criterion also has his first film louie bluie , so we, or at least i might have a zwigoff double feature disc to look forward to.

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

The possibility of Fritz the Cat getting the Criterion treatment and likely on Blu-Ray completely outshines whatever will happen instead.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

hedwig

fritz the cat would be cool, but CRUMB! yes! that so deserves the criterion treatment. such an amazing film.

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

Frtiz the Cat was a pretty big deal for independent animation, as well as animation as a whole and I'm not just partial to Ralph Bakshi because of my signature.

Crumb was a great movie, don't get me wrong, but Criterion doesn't often validate animated features or give them "the treatment."
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

Gold Trumpet

It has to be Zwigoff. Criterion has already confirmed he's due for release this year (along with Chaplin, Lumet, more Ray and others) but I don't know if Crumb is a substantive film to release because it already has a pretty good special edition DVD. Of course that hasn't stopped Criterion before.