Criterion News and Discussion

Started by Gold Trumpet, January 16, 2003, 06:18:19 PM

Rudie Obias

Quote from: Gamblour. on August 19, 2008, 09:48:53 AM

These Bottle Rocket and Chungking Criterions are going to call for a burning of my shitty sub-$10 dvds I've had forever.

why would you do that?  the rolling thunder chungking express has qt talk about wkw.  how awesome is that?
\"a pair of eyes staring at you, projected on a large screen is what cinema is truly about.\" -volker schlöndorff

cinemanarchist

How's everyone feeling about the Bottle Rocket art? To me it almost looks like a parody of what a Wes Anderson Criterion would look like. I guess the novelty of the art style has just worn off on me...still picking up the Blu-Ray, of course.
My assholeness knows no bounds.

tpfkabi

Quote from: cinemanarchist on August 20, 2008, 10:33:12 AM
How's everyone feeling about the Bottle Rocket art? To me it almost looks like a parody of what a Wes Anderson Criterion would look like. I guess the novelty of the art style has just worn off on me...still picking up the Blu-Ray, of course.

yeah, i would agree.
not his brother's strongest.
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

Gamblour.

Quote from: rudiecorexxx on August 20, 2008, 10:16:54 AM
Quote from: Gamblour. on August 19, 2008, 09:48:53 AM

These Bottle Rocket and Chungking Criterions are going to call for a burning of my shitty sub-$10 dvds I've had forever.

why would you do that?  the rolling thunder chungking express has qt talk about wkw.  how awesome is that?

If I wanted to see a rambling, self indulgent ass talk about wong kar-wai, I'd just tape myself.
WWPTAD?

El Duderino

It looks like the cover of "Happiness"
Did I just get cock-blocked by Bob Saget?

MacGuffin

We have an update for you on Criterion's forthcoming Blu-ray Disc releases, thanks to their latest e-mail newsletter. First, these will only be available in North America, as that's where Criterion has the release rights to the specific titles. As such, they WILL be region coded. Whenever possible, Criterion will release Blu-ray editions day and date with new DVD titles, so you'll know if a Blu-ray is going to be available in advance. For the time being, however, Blu-ray versions will only be available for select titles. As for catalog titles that you may already own on DVD, Criterion is offering a $20 exchange program to allow you to upgrade to the Blu-ray version - you simply send them the DVD plus $20, and they'll send you the Blu-ray. That's VERY cool for Criterion fans, believe me. The packaging will apparently be identical to the DVD versions in terms of artwork and spine numbering, just in the smaller Blu-ray package size. Also, Criterion isn't starting over with Blu-ray numbering (as they did with DVD) and nothing will be available on Blu-ray that's not also released on DVD, so you don't have to worry about getting left behind. The Blu-rays are literally upgrades of their catalog, just like the recent special edition re-releases. Finally, the Blu-rays will be priced to match the DVD versions, making the upgrade choice much easier for you. All of this is great news, by our thinking at least. For the record, the FAQ is also available online here (and it includes specific details on how to use the Blu-ray upgrade program). While we're on the subject of Criterion Blu-rays, The Third Man, The Last Emperor and The Man Who Fell to Earth are all officially due to street on 11/18, with Bottle Rocket and Chunking Express following on 11/25.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

gob

Quote from: MacGuffin on August 22, 2008, 09:31:03 PM
We have an update for you on Criterion's forthcoming Blu-ray Disc releases, thanks to their latest e-mail newsletter. First, these will only be available in North America, as that's where Criterion has the release rights to the specific titles. As such, they WILL be region coded.

For fuck's sake.

john

How's everyone feeling about the Bottle Rocket art? To me it almost looks like a parody of what a Wes Anderson Criterion would look like. I guess the novelty of the art style has just worn off on me...

Quote from: bigideas on August 20, 2008, 11:22:59 AM

yeah, i would agree.
not his brother's strongest.

That's because it isn't Eric Anderson. Which makes Cine right... it might as well be a fucking parody. I was disappointed in that cover anyway... now that I found out it isn't even by Anderson, I'm especially disgusted by it.

You would figure Criterion would have a bit more tact than that.

Though, I concur with Cine... still picking it up on Blu regardless of ANY cover.

In related news... that Criterion "C" inside the Chunking Express "c" is fucking terrible.

And, again... purchasing it regardless. Which Criterion knows... otherwise they wouldn't skate by with such lazy artwork (for their standards anyway.)

Guess, ultimately, it's the discs that count and both of these are gonna be spectacular.

Maybe every day is Saturday morning.

edison

The Bottle Rocket artist is Ian Dingman in case anyone was wondering.

edison

Special Features
- New, restored high-definition digital transfer of the uncut version, approved by producer Jon Davison
- New video interviews with producer Davison, co-writer Curtis Hanson, and Sam Fuller's widow, Christa Lang-Fuller
- An interview with dog trainer Karl Lewis-Miller
- Rare photos from the film's production
- PLUS: A booklet featuring new essays by critics J. Hoberman and Armond White, plus a rare 1982 interview in which Fuller interviews the canine star of the film

Special Features
- New, restored high-definition digital transfer
- Audio commentary featuring director Lars von Trier and producer Peter Aalbæk Jensen (in Danish, with English subtitles)
- The Making of "Europa" (1991), a documentary following the film from storyboarding to production
- Trier's Element (1991), a documentary featuring an interview with von Trier, and footage from the set and Europa's Cannes premiere and press conference
- Anecdotes from Europa (2005), a short documentary featuring interviews with film historian Peter Schepelern, actor Jean-Marc Barr, producer Peter Aalbæk Jensen, assistant director Tómas Gislason, co-writer Niels Vørsel, and prop master Peter Grant
- 2005 interviews with cinematographer Henning Bendtsen, composer Joachim Holbek, costume designer Manon Rasmussen, film-school teacher Mogens Rukov, editor/director Tómas Gislason, producer Peter Aalbæk Jensen, art director Peter Grant, actor Michael Simpson, production manager Per Arman, actor Ole Ernst
- A conversation with Lars von Trier from 2005, in which the director speaks about the "Europa" trilogy
- Europa—The Faecal Location (2005), a short film by Gislason
- New and improved English subtitle translation
- PLUS: A booklet featuring a new essay by critic Howard Hampton

Gold Trumpet

Oh man, the White Dog confirmation made my day. Spec people will hate how barebones the DVD is, but I'm just happy it will now exist on a proper transfer. It's a good day for film.

w/o horse

Both those are great.

I'm really behind in my Criterions.
Raven haired Linda and her school mate Linnea are studying after school, when their desires take over and they kiss and strip off their clothes. They take turns fingering and licking one another's trimmed pussies on the desks, then fuck each other to intense orgasms with colorful vibrators.

El Duderino

Picked up Brand Upon The Brain a few days ago. Fantastic.
Did I just get cock-blocked by Bob Saget?

john

Quote from: edison on September 15, 2008, 06:37:25 PM
White Dog

Fuck yes.

Most justifiable, quintessential Criterion of the year.

I've been waiting on this a long, long time.
Maybe every day is Saturday morning.

I Don't Believe in Beatles

"A film is - or should be - more like music than like fiction. It should be a progression of moods and feelings. The theme, what's behind the emotion, the meaning, all that comes later." --Stanley Kubrick