Criterion News and Discussion

Started by Gold Trumpet, January 16, 2003, 06:18:19 PM

Gold Trumpet

The main filmmaker I wanted introduced in the Collection is finally going to be introduced! And in a big way: [news courtesy of a Criterion email]

"Apologies for the delay in response.
We will be releasing an Ophuls box in late 2007/early 2008. It will contain several films, including THE EARRINGS OF MADAME DE . . AND LA PLAISIR.
I hope that helps.
Thanks for your interest in Criterion.

Best regards,
Kim Hendrickson"

Other potential titles could include La Ronde, Letter from an Unkown Woman and Lola Montes. Max Ophuls was Stanley Kubrick's favorite filmmaker. He was one of the premiere influences for Martin Scorsese (also admitted by Scorsese himself). I can't think of another filmmaker before 1960 who had a perspective to storytelling and filmmaking that seems so modern today the way Max Ophuls did. I don't even expect to love all of his films, but the fact he's been ignored for so long makes no sense. I hope other members on the board show some interest. The films of his I've seen are still easy to enjoy and very relatable to modern audiences.

Now I'm going to focus my attention on getting Hans Jurgen Syberberg and Margarethe Von Trotta in the collection. My job for Max Ophuls is done.

A Matter Of Chance

Pubrick

Quote from: The Gold Trumpet on March 06, 2007, 12:37:43 AM
Now I'm going to focus my attention on getting Hans Jurgen Syberberg and Margarethe Von Trotta in the collection. My job for Max Ophuls is done.
are you saying you were personally responsible for getting ophuls to be released on criterion? or was that whole post just a cut and paste including that part.
under the paving stones.

Ravi

Pubrick, The Gold Trumpet is actually Criterion Q. Collection, the benevolent old bear of a man who decides what movies get Criterion treatment.

Gold Trumpet

Haha, I knew I'd get a comment for that wording, but yes, I control Criterion!

News? Looks like more Melville is in the lines. Rialto has announced a new film, Jean-Pierre Melville's "Le Doulos," which opens June 29th at Film Forum.

That would suggest a 2008 release by Criterion

modage

Quote from: The Gold Trumpet on March 09, 2007, 12:53:54 PM
Rialto has announced a new film, Jean-Pierre Melville's "Le Doulos," which opens June 29th at Film Forum.
oh great.  then its already topping critics lists for Best Film of 2007 (so far).
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

w/o horse

modage you drive the loooong way home.

Who ordered one of those Janus shirts?
Raven haired Linda and her school mate Linnea are studying after school, when their desires take over and they kiss and strip off their clothes. They take turns fingering and licking one another's trimmed pussies on the desks, then fuck each other to intense orgasms with colorful vibrators.

I Don't Believe in Beatles

GT, do you know if Criterion has any plans to release The Mother and the Whore in the future?
"A film is - or should be - more like music than like fiction. It should be a progression of moods and feelings. The theme, what's behind the emotion, the meaning, all that comes later." --Stanley Kubrick

Gold Trumpet

I remember it being mentioned a few times years ago, but no word recently no. I'd email them about it. They are very forthcoming about their plans.

Fernando

Quote from: Pubrick on March 07, 2007, 03:51:46 AM
Quote from: The Gold Trumpet on March 06, 2007, 12:37:43 AM
are you saying you were personally responsible for getting ophuls to be released on criterion? or was that whole post just a cut and paste including that part.

I thought he was more like:

SiliasRuby

More Melville?!?!?!?!?!?!?! Magnificent!
The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection

JG

Cobz

So, any news on Bergmans "Face to Face"?

highly anticipating that one! :)
coin operated boy

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: Cobz on March 11, 2007, 06:53:34 AM
So, any news on Bergmans "Face to Face"?

highly anticipating that one! :)

Yea, Criterion recently inked a deal with Paramount to acquire rights so it should be in production and released sometime soon. Bergman is one filmmaker they like to release something by every year. I want to see and I'll likely pick it up, but it is curious that Bergman himself considers it an artistic failure.

SiliasRuby

GT, is there any plans for criterion coming up and doing any more Truffaut?
The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection