Movies About Death

Started by hedwig, July 16, 2006, 04:02:55 AM

RegularKarate

Quote from: Derek237 on July 17, 2006, 05:55:28 PM
Every movie he does, not did.

I loved Brain Dead (or Dead Alive if you prefer), but let's face it. That was a long time ago. What he does now is completely different.  So I don't think you "get it."   :yabbse-thumbup:

Oh, you meant "DOES" not "DID"... but he DID the movies you're referring to (all both of them) so how do you know what the movies he DOES are like?  OH, I GOT YOU THERE, DEREKTWOTHREESEVEN!   maybe you don't "get" IT!

Ravi

Derek237

Okay. How about I just try and explain myself, because I obviously can't give a simple opinion in passing without having RegularKarate bitch about anything I write.

The directing style that Peter Jackson uses currently, say from 2001 to 2005, in the 4 movies he directed (I don't really remember a 10 hour movie called, The Lord of The Rings, but whether or not you see them as seperate movies being chapters in a saga or one big movie doesn't really matter and is a pointless debate), is different than the style that he has used in the past, say about 15 years ago, with his B-movies with wicked senses of humour.

Another example: Oliver Stone. He did controversial politcal dramas that won oscars, and now he's doing epics (imo WTC seems to be of epic proportion).

But whatever. I don't see why you care so much about something so minute, anyway. It's funny how you don't try to argue with my actual point, but you'll argue about whether I've seen his movies from 15 years ago, or hey, how about my name? Yes, I have numbers in my name. That has nothing to do with the topic.

Movies about death, in case you forgot. But leave your asshole comments in my private messages, please.

hedwig

Quote from: Derek237 on July 17, 2006, 11:13:52 PM
Okay. How about I just try and explain myself, because I obviously can't give a simple opinion in passing without having RegularKarate bitch about anything I write.

The directing style that Peter Jackson uses currently, say from 2001 to 2005, in the 4 movies he directed (I don't really remember a 10 hour movie called, The Lord of The Rings, but whether or not you see them as seperate movies being chapters in a saga or one big movie doesn't really matter and is a pointless debate), is different than the style that he has used in the past, say about 15 years ago, with his B-movies with wicked senses of humour.

Another example: Oliver Stone. He did controversial politcal dramas that won oscars, and now he's doing epics (imo WTC seems to be of epic proportion).

But whatever. I don't see why you care so much about something so minute, anyway. It's funny how you don't try to argue with my actual point, but you'll argue about whether I've seen his movies from 15 years ago, or hey, how about my name? Yes, I have numbers in my name. That has nothing to do with the topic.

Movies about death, in case you forgot. But leave your asshole comments in my private messages, please.
the only reason anyone "bitched" about the stuff you wrote is because it made no sense, or was at least extremely muddled. you were talking about the movies peter jackson does, ignoring the ones he did, and hope he doesn't apply the same style to the one he's doing?? ok then.  :ponder: .. i can understand why ravi's head exploded.

anyway, you lost me with your oliver stone remark. "controversial political dramas that won oscars" is not a style. and still, i don't see why WTC could not also be considered a controversial political drama. i think the real problem here is that you don't know what you're talking about.

Pubrick

under the paving stones.

rustinglass

"In Serbia a lot of people hate me because they want to westernise, not understanding that the western world is bipolar, with very good things and very bad things. Since they don't have experience of the west, they even believe that western shit is pie."
-Emir Kusturica

Derek237

Quote from: Derek237 on July 17, 2006, 04:58:22 PM
Moonlight Mile. It's a great and wonderful film about dealing with the death of a loved one. What I like about it is the fact that once the movie starts, the dead character has already died, and it focuses more on the family dealing with life without her. Anybody can show the tragic events that lead to a death, and the grief that the other characters feel, but it takes real magic (for lack of a better word), to show what happens once the tears are gone. Life goes on after that, and it was really moving to see how the characters (played by Dustin Hoffman as the father, Susan Surrandon as the mother, and Jake Gylenhall as the dead girl's ex-fiance) continued on with their lives. Some very interesting twists and revelations as well.

And I'm sure The Lovely Bones could make a good addition to this list, too, provided that Peter Jackson doesn't screw the movie up by making it melodramatic and full of slow motion shots and over-the-top music, you know, like every other movie he does. The Lord Of The Rings films and King Kong.

I hope everyone's happy with this.

And sorry about your head, ravi.

matt35mm

In The Bedroom
The Passenger
Ditto on the Bergman movies (I'd say try The Virgin Spring, though The Seventh Seal is indeed his ultimate meditation on death--watch it if you haven't)

And in their own way: Ratcatcher and Morvern Callar.  Both begin with a death and are about life afterwards, which is partially why The Lovely Bones would have fit (perhaps too perfectly now that I think about it) into Lynne Ramsay's body of work.

grand theft sparrow

Not to derail this but I think it's pretty funny that Derek237 is getting into a fight with one admin every thread he posts in.

Derek237

Somehow, "funny" just doesn't quite do it justice. Having a crush on Natalie Portman, thinking Talledega Nights will not be as funny as Anchorman, and being extremely and unfortunately inarticulate when it comes to Peter Jackson appear to the hot buttons here. Oh, and of course, having numbers in my username. I don't mean to get in fights, obviously (who wants to get in fights?) but why do they have to be so rude about it all?

But, honestly I gotta give props to Hedwig. He can point out idiocy very effectively and reasonably, and doesn't even need to use caps! And yeah, I was way off-base with the Oliver Stone remark. Other than that I stand by my opinions.

But..funny? No. Fucking hysterical.