Lost (spoilers)

Started by MacGuffin, October 07, 2004, 01:10:26 AM

Pas

I think even less things happened than last week. This show is almost a DVD-only affair.

SiliasRuby

You just figure that out, that this show is made for DVD's?
The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection

Gamblour.

Really?? I feel like they were cramming in tons of information about everybody here. They tied together a lot of loose connections, like when we see Faraday at the beginning of the season, Charlotte's role in everything, the French dude losing his arm (a reference back to season 1, I think). This episode moved fast, for me anyway.

This episode was really tense and kind of frightening to me.
WWPTAD?

SiliasRuby

Exactly, so frightening and honestly...kind of fun.

My Collection

Pas

Quote from: Gamblour. on February 12, 2009, 10:48:16 AM
Really?? I feel like they were cramming in tons of information about everybody here. They tied together a lot of loose connections, like when we see Faraday at the beginning of the season, Charlotte's role in everything, the French dude losing his arm (a reference back to season 1, I think). This episode moved fast, for me anyway.

This episode was really tense and kind of frightening to me.

yes the episode moved along just fine that's true, but in the end I just want them to stop goofing around and go back to the island.  :doh:

JG

i agree that the off-island stuff is a little boring, but this was a very cool episode. if they are not directly answering the big questions, they are certainly providing the context to answer the big questions. i'm also really rarely compelled by the character-based stuff anymore (eg. daniel telling charlotte he loves her a couple weeks ago), but i thought christian's exchange with john locke was very sad. 

©brad

So wait, if Jin and Rousseau now know each other in the past, shouldn't she have recognized him when they first got to the island..?

diggler

Quote from: ©brad on February 12, 2009, 01:50:04 PM
So wait, if Jin and Rousseau now know each other in the past, shouldn't she have recognized him when they first got to the island..?

i really hope they have an explanation for this. did jin ever have direct interaction with rousseau when they first arrived? i loved that it's because of jin that rousseau is alive. (or was alive anyway)

this show may be running in place, but unlike season 2, it's running in style.
I'm not racist, I'm just slutty

Pas

Quote from: ddiggler on February 12, 2009, 03:19:48 PM
i loved that it's because of jin that rousseau is alive. (or was alive anyway)

That can't be though right, because they cannot change anything ? I am confused by this whole ''cant change anything'' theory because they change a shit load of stuff so far. Killing people and whatnot

diggler

Quote from: Pas Rap on February 12, 2009, 03:29:40 PM

That can't be though right, because they cannot change anything ? I am confused by this whole ''cant change anything'' theory because they change a shit load of stuff so far. Killing people and whatnot

yea but in this case it works because it always happened. rousseau was definitely going in those ruins if jin  hadn't stopped her. he didn't change the past because he was always meant to be there at that particular moment to save her, which is reflected in the future by her still being alive.
I'm not racist, I'm just slutty

Pas

Quote from: ddiggler on February 12, 2009, 03:36:39 PM
Quote from: Pas Rap on February 12, 2009, 03:29:40 PM

yea but in this case it works because it always happened. rousseau was definitely going in those ruins if jin  hadn't stopped her. he didn't change the past because he was always meant to be there at that particular moment to save her, which is reflected in the future by her still being alive.

If I understand correctly what you mean, you say that the life that the people of the island have lived existed the way it was because it was already factored in that they would go back in time ? (is that clear?)

That would totally explain all my problems with the thing...

oh my time travel is hard for my little cranium.

picolas

'factored in' isn't quite the right way to put it.. you're getting there.

if you go back in time and do anything, it's because it already happened. nothing has changed. time doesn't go back and fix mistakes or make changes. it's a straight line.. so it's like

TIME
____>____>_____Jin saves Rousseau__________>___>_____Jin travels back in time

Jin saving Rousseau happened before Jin traveled back in time. the seeming plot hole is that Rousseau never recognized Jin when he first came to the island after they had already met in the past.

Gamblour.

Ah, but remember course correction. We're to assume, based on Faraday's encounter with Desmond, that what they do in the past retroactively affects it (he had a 'memory' of it suddenly). When Jin tells her not to go, that is what was supposed to happen, so maybe before Jin was there, there was some other reason why she doesn't go in there. Whatever it was, it results in the same outcome. Does that make sense? Jin cannot change anything, so what happened when he was there was supposed to happen.

Or am I completely wrong? Rousseau not recognizing Jin means that it's because he hasn't gone back in time yet.
WWPTAD?

SiliasRuby

Oh, I completely understand......what?!?!??! hehe.

My Collection

picolas

Quote from: Gamblour. on February 12, 2009, 10:39:53 PM
Ah, but remember course correction. We're to assume, based on Faraday's encounter with Desmond, that what they do in the past retroactively affects it (he had a 'memory' of it suddenly). When Jin tells her not to go, that is what was supposed to happen, so maybe before Jin was there, there was some other reason why she doesn't go in there. Whatever it was, it results in the same outcome. Does that make sense? Jin cannot change anything, so what happened when he was there was supposed to happen.

Or am I completely wrong? Rousseau not recognizing Jin means that it's because he hasn't gone back in time yet.
i don't think that works. Desmond is an exception to the rule because of his exposure to the hatch. Locke, for example, is not an exception because he had already spoken to Alpert about going to his birth. And there Alpert was in season 4 and in Locke's childhood. no retroactive future memory formation. therefore Rousseau had met Jin before. i'm 99% sure of this.