Lost (spoilers)

Started by MacGuffin, October 07, 2004, 01:10:26 AM

polkablues

Quote from: Gamblour. on February 16, 2008, 12:27:54 PM
I understand that those two cases work within the context of the theory, but Jin, for example, his sperm count goes back to normal when he gets on the island, he gets Sun pregnant. Shooting blanks isn't something that he could "go back" to because being sterile seems to be a permanent condition. And remember, Juliet says that men's sperm counts are extremely high on the island. That could have nothing to do with the time loop.

And let's just consider what feels more likely: the island is healing Rose's cancer and John's paralysis (I don't imagine it could grow a kidney back) or an arbitrary rule of time travel is reverting them back?

Point taken with the sperm counts, but I honestly don't feel like one arbitrary rule feels any more or less likely than another arbitrary rule.
My house, my rules, my coffee

diggler

I'm not racist, I'm just slutty

Pas

Your ex talks like a bad movie character.
You talk like some kind of Ryan Reynolds.
The last line was pretty funny though.

MacGuffin

Elizabeth Mitchell is anything but 'Lost'
The actress from the hit ABC series says she feels more grounded since entering her 30s.
By Choire Sicha, Special to The Times

ELIZABETH Mitchell plays the maybe-not-evil Juliet on "Lost." She was at home on Bainbridge Island, Wash., with the kiddo.

Apparently Bainbridge is also home to Russell Johnson, better known as the Professor from "Gilligan's Island."

Yes! I hear this too! Who didn't watch "Gilligan's Island"? I can still sing the song.

An important predecessor to "Lost."

Yes. I really love "Lost," though. I am kind of itching -- I know I say this a million times -- but I'm a big reader, and you know how you wait for installments of books when you're a kid? . . . I'm looking forward to a script! I'm looking forward to seeing something.

Two years ago, everyone was raising the cautionary "Twin Peaks" flag. . . . But for now we've gotten through that.

Yeah, I think so! I talk to a lot of people, and . . . they have their times they're in love with us, with "Lost," and the times they're angry with "Lost." And now they're just getting on the ride: "I know I'm gonna get mad again, and I know I'll be happy again." I think that's it: They know at least they're going somewhere, so they might as well sit back and see where it takes you.

Don't you go a little nutty out there in nature, with 20,000 or whatever people on an island?

You'd think! But it's a pretty good group of people. I'm still intrigued by them. You don't go hog-wild bored, because you have a 2-year-old and you're so tired. Any time you might be bored, your eyes close and you go to sleep. Boredom is for people who don't have toddlers.

What are you reading?

Right now I'm reading "Orley Farm." Trollope! It's a nice big old hunk of scandal.

You're reading what they call a real book.

Well, kind of. I don't know if they would have viewed it as a real book then. We do because it's old. It uses nice, lovely big words. But it doesn't have any Latin in it. I feel if you went back in time, they would view it as Nora Roberts or Danielle Steele. But it's so old they view it as a classic. And highbrow. He wrote about women really beautifully.

So these "Lost" enthusiasts -- they're all crazy, aren't they?

I don't think so! They get it right more often than not. . . . When I was in the thick of the whole Juliet subterfuge, I'd go online once in a while, very judiciously of course, and read. About 80% of the people who wrote about it all the time had it pretty accurate. Like, "Remember that look she had in Minute 4 on Episode 4?" Oh, my God. But they were right.

How was "The View" the other day? Were they mean to you off camera or anything?

They were very nice! I did it once before, the day Rosie [O'Donnell] quit.

That must have been dramatic.

Not so much for me. It was just kind of amazing. . . . The atmosphere was very tense. I think the audience was happy to see someone else. Tense is nice. I'm an odd person. It all works for me as an actor.

Now I feel like I'm seeing the way you're made here.

Good. I'm pretty simple.

Good. Then: How's your marriage?

Oh, yeah, you know what? I love being married. It's like getting another member of your family -- and I like my family. We laugh a lot, we talk a lot, we fight a lot. He's quicker and little more clever than I am. It's nice to have that stimulation.

Mazel tov.

Thanks! Well, I'm 37. You'd think I'd get it right at some point. I've only been married three years.

In keeping with Trollope, I'm not sure marriage can really be gotten until the mid- or late 30s.

I really do feel that way now, knowing what I was in my 20s, which was just a little bit vague. A lot of people are certain in their 20s -- I wasn't. Thirties, you hit some new points, which I'm sure become moot when you hit your 40s. . . . I think the 40s should be intriguing. Most of my friends around here are in their 40s and 50s. It's wonderful to see where their lives have gone.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

polkablues

She lives on Bainbridge Island?  That's like 45 minutes away from me.  I should totally go stalk her.

polkablues

ElPandaRoyal

Quote from: polkablues on February 18, 2008, 01:04:16 AM
LOST theme song

As much as I love the Giacchino score and those words coming in and out of focus, these should have been the credits  :yabbse-grin:
Si

MacGuffin

'Lost' is off to a quick startle
Surprising revelations and tantalizing clues have mounted quickly as the ABC drama keeps to a fast tempo.
By Patrick Day, Los Angeles Times

It's astounding how fast this season of "Lost" has taken off. Remember last year, when we spent episode after episode watching Jack, Sawyer and Kate sit around in cages? Not this year. It's a testament to the incredible amount of information the writers have been able to pack into each of the first three episodes that each one sparks a debate on which revelation was the most important of the episode.

In my house, my girlfriend seemed quite taken with the revelation at the end of Thursday's episode: Post-rescue Sayid (Naveen Andrews) remade as Sayid Bond (with unfortunate Fabio hair), flying around the world and killing people for Ben (Michael Emerson). Who are these people Ben is having him kill? I'd say a big clue was found on the wrist of Elsa, the woman Sayid had to kill in this episode. Her bracelet, no doubt given to her by her mysterious employer, looks to be an exact duplicate of the one worn by Naomi, the freighter rescuer killed by Locke. Naomi's bracelet was inscribed by R.G. So who is R.G.?

The possibilities are endless, though I doubt the writers have given us enough information yet to be able to come up with a credible theory. But with all due respect to my lovely girlfriend, I don't think the Ben-Sayid partnership -- or alliance, as it's called on "Survivor" -- was the most startling revelation in the episode. Much more exciting to the series' overall arc was the mini-experiment Daniel Faraday ( Jeremy Davies) engaged in with Regina back on the boat. . . .

A rocket, fired from the freighter, did not arrive at its intended target on the island until a full 31 minutes later. (I thought the unsynchronized watches were a nice homage to Doc Brown from "Back to the Future.") It's important not to downplay the implications of that delay and its connection to the island's true nature. More than any other character, I think, Faraday and his box of scientific doohickeys will do more to quiet that faction of the audience that seems convinced the writers don't really know what the island is.

It's worth pointing out "Lost's" similarities to a Stephen King novella, "The Langoliers." It's a safe bet that the show runners, Damon Lindelof and Carlton Cuse, are familiar with the story -- they're both avowed King freaks, but with all the other books visually referenced on the show, it's strange that this one hasn't come up yet. Perhaps because to signal a connection to this story would have been too big a giveaway to a major secret of the series. But go ahead and read the summary on Wikipedia (or better yet, read the book for yourself) and consider again Faraday's comment in Episode 2 about the quality of light on the island being off somehow.

And what about his instructions to Frank to fly off the island and stay on the coordinates he was given? Are they trying to fly through a time rip?

Finally, what are we to make of the revelation that Ben has been traveling off the island for some time under assumed identities? Did he cross paths with any of the crash survivors at some point in the past? I have no doubt we haven't seen the last of the survivor flashbacks.

By the way, the name Ben used in the passport Sayid looked at was Dean Moriarty, one of the key characters in Jack Kerouac's novel "On the Road." Of course, Moriarty was also Sherlock Holmes' genius archnemesis. It seems as though Ben is a combination of both of these characters -- the evil genius with wanderlust. Now we just need to figure out who wants him dead.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Gamblour.

Better yet, if you can get your hands on it, watch the Langoliers made for TV. It's got Balki from Perfect Strangers as the bad guy (this is all from memory of watching it when I was like 10 years old, honest to blog). Incredibly, IMDb says this is on DVD.
WWPTAD?

MacGuffin

ABC moves 'Lost'

ABC's top-rated "Grey's Anatomy" will return to claim its usual Thursday night time period next month, with "Lost" moving to 10 p.m.

Having resumed production following the conclusion of the writers strike, "Grey's" will come back to the network's tentpole Thursdays at 9 p.m. time period for five original episodes starting April 24, with "Lost" shifting to 10 p.m. to air five originals of its own.

ABC announced the change Wednesday as part of its spring schedule, which also includes premiere dates for "Desperate Housewives," "Samantha Who," "Boston Legal," "Ugly Betty" and "Brothers & Sisters." The other major broadcast networks announced their spring schedules earlier this month.

A key question is whether "Lost" (which has averaged a 6.4 rating among adults 18 to 49 so this season) will benefit from the new time period. The shift puts "Lost" into an hour with lower viewing levels, and the show notably declined after shifting from Wednesdays at 9 to 10 p.m. last season. But "Lost" may gain from a large "Grey's" lead-in, even if their respective audiences are not perfectly compatible.

ABC has tried several new shows in the Thursdays at 10 p.m. time period which have been unable to capitalize on "Grey's" success. Case in point, current occupant "Eli Stone" is notably absent from the newly announced spring lineup. Since "Stone" debuted earlier this year, it has averaged a 3.3 rating in the time period. An ABC spokesman said the network hasn't decided when the remaining "Stone" episodes will air.

Skeleton FilmWorks

modage

that was a nice twist.  so claire is probably dead and thats uncle jacks half sisters baby. 
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Sleepless

Nice bit of a twist at the end. I would have liked this episode a lot more if I still cared at all about Kate. Her and Jack continue to piss me off with their boringness. Sayid's ep is still the best so far. Although I hear episode 5 is gonna be interesting :)
He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.

diggler

SPOILERS

so does that make aaron one of the oceanic six?
I'm not racist, I'm just slutty

Gamblour.

We were arguing over that. I say, it makes him Oceanic 6.5, so no not really.
WWPTAD?

JG

another really solid episode! they continue to give us a little bit more to chew on each week. really great. i continue to be really impressed without really being blow away.

did anybody else call the twist far before it happened? also - SPOILERS - i don't think claire or anybody is dead at the point in the time line. i think that something happens and claire decides its best for the baby or something. at the very least she won't die before jack and she find out that they have the same dad.