Don McKay

Started by picolas, June 29, 2010, 12:02:31 AM

picolas

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1281374/

i'm not going to post the trailer because it's faaaaaaaar too spoilerful. also it tries to sell the movie as a straight up thriller, which it isn't.

- this is an interesting (debut) movie despite the title. i hate when movies are named after characters unless the characters really earn it and their names are distinct enough. like forrest gump. i cannot wholeheartedly recommend it, but there are things about it that i really liked, and i will definitely check out this guy's next movie. if he makes another one. i don't think this did too well.
- it has moments of incredible hilarity sandwiched between noirish mystery and odd drama. i actually wasn't sure if it was being intentionally funny until about half an hour in. even though it was making me laugh. that's how odd the tone is.
- melissa leo is GREAT. if you're a melissa leo fan, watching this is a good idea. her character gets more and more hilarious as the movie continues.
- the noir elements really worked for me.. you feel thrust into the middle of something that started before you got there. i'm a fan of that. and there are so many great little lies/dialogue-driven problems. the movie successfully juggles a lot of conflicting pieces for an impressive amount of time. but
- it falls apart about 10 minutes before the end in a way that kinda retroactively harms the rest of the movie.. i'd love to talk about that with someone who's seen it. i couldn't tell if the movie was actually bullshitting me with one of the final scenes.. was it trying to make fun of noirs in general? it crossed the line from delicious absurdity to incoherence.