Licorice Pizza - Speculation & General Reactions

Started by Fuzzy Dunlop, August 30, 2017, 12:58:10 PM

mickeywolfman

I’ve been revisiting interviews, & noticed in the classic Bill Simmons podcast (2017, the one where PTA mentions trying to cut down that ‘600 page’ thing, likely this script?) he talks about the intensity of some big productions for the crew, especially when they go on forever. Paul referenced Avatar’s long production & a couple others—seemed to have a particular interest in the topic of how there are so many productions that have “resulted in damaged lives” & how families get torn apart, etc in pursuit of a big production. (@ 1:18:57 and a little before.) I know people were throwing around the A Star is Born production, do you think his comments about this topic have anything to do with his script? Just spitballing, I know it doesn’t really hold any water, just a bit interesting to hear him phrase this phenomenon this way—reminded me of how he would verbally “pitch” the context, history of characters like Freddy quell, Plainview, etc.

Yes

IMDB added some names to cast.

Mary Eileen O’Donnell as “Reporter” (wasn’t she close to PSH IIRC?)

Brennon Doyle as Latin Lads Kid

wilberfan

Quote from: BigSock on September 07, 2020, 08:35:54 PM
Brennon Doyle as Latin Lads Kid

I saw an actor wearing a jacket that said, "Latin Lads" during the scene at the 76 station.  I think that's who Bradley/Peters threatens with the pump nozzle and lighter.

Yes

Does anyone know what Latin Lads is? Fictional?

wilberfan

It would have been a car club or gang--or maybe both.

jenkins

they don't wiki trace to street gangs, as the latin kings do, but, in conjunction with the earlier-mentioned reference to doo-wop inspired chicano gangs, you can find the same name in a, yes, doo-wop band

polkablues

My house, my rules, my coffee

PinkTeeth

New Name, Same Typos.

Alma

These instagrams were posted of some of the cars on set with writing in the windows.

Definitely seems inspired by cruising culture as mentioned, there's another article here with lots of photos, including this with the same writing as the third instagram picture.
https://designyoutrust.com/2020/05/cruising-van-nuys-boulevard-in-the-summer-of-1972-in-stunning-black-and-white-photos-by-rick-mccloskey/

Find Your Magali

Quote from: BigSock on September 07, 2020, 08:35:54 PM

Mary Eileen O'Donnell as "Reporter" (wasn't she close to PSH IIRC?)

Mimi O'Donnell was PSH's partner. .... Not sure if she's related to Mary Eileen.

jenkins

Mimi O'Donnell is the mother of Cooper. older Mary Eileen is not listed as Mimi's mother (in a cursory google search) and you'd think it'd be listed, though i can't confirm that she's not her mother

pynchonikon

kingfan011

Tdog

Can't wait to see Daniel Day Lewis playing Elliot Gould.

kingfan011

Quote from: Tdog on September 10, 2020, 11:48:16 AM
Can't wait to see Daniel Day Lewis playing Elliot Gould.

:bravo: I want it