CHICAGO

Started by RegularKarate, January 11, 2003, 11:10:48 PM

joke08

Quote from: SHAFTRSingin' In the Rain would use long takes to show the audience how talented Gene Kelly was....Chicago just used lots of quick editing.  Intensified Classical Continuity.

well that was gene kelly. let the camera roll.

I haven't seen Chicago, but I agree, Singin in the rain is my favorite, though I hate musicals because i dated a girl who was in a lot of them.
i've been drinking more wine lately.
it's good for you pop.
yeah, well anyway, i've been drinking more wine
(vito to michael, Godfather I)

The Silver Bullet

I loved Chicago. I thought it was the best of the year [I haven't yet seen Hours / Gangs or Punch-Drunk because of Australian release dates]. I understand why someone could dislike it, though [same reason I understand why people could dislike Moulin Rouge, which was in my top five of 2001, also].

I just thought this was a meticulously crafted and clever film [not as meticulously crafted as Rouge, but just as clever]. The performances [especially that of John C. Reilly as Amos] were all of the highes calibre and the editing was some of the best in a long while [since, well, Moulin Rouge...]

I know that people here hate it, though I don't really see how you can hate a film like this as much as just dislike it. Rouge is a love or hate it sorta film. Chicago is a dislike, like or love sorta film. I for one, loved it.
RABBIT n. pl. rabĀ·bits or rabbit[list=1]
  • Any of various long-eared, short-tailed, burrowing mammals of the family Leporidae.
  • A hare.
    [/list:o][/size]

Ghostboy

I loved it too. I'm always a sucker for good musicals, and I thought this one was pretty impeccably done. It was a great cynical crowd pleaser, in that it suggested that murder is fun and easy to get away with (if you're a hot dame, that is).

I actually really liked how the dance numbers were all done on stylized stages, intercut with the 'reality' of the situation; it seemed pretty innovative to me. And that Cell Block Tango was pretty damn awesome.

Pedro

Saw it today.  It was pretty great in the stage performances.  But when the story was going I was bored.  The musical is filled with amazing songs, but after seeing it on Broadway in NY with Bebe Newirth and crew, there is no comparison.  That musical is made to be done on stage and when it was adapted why did they keep the stage performances...because that's what works.  But if you are to adapt why not go all the way?  I'm interested in seeing the numbers performed in the actual sets where the plot(non musical) was going on...hmm maybe a PTA project. LOL.

ProgWRX

I'm glad to find out I'm not the only one who thinks this is one of the most overrated movies in recent history. I finally got to see this last night, and boy was I dissapointed.

The editing was ridiculously quick, and not in a good way, as has been mentioned before me, and the performances save for Zeta Jones (who IMO is the best in the movie because of her attitude mainly) were really flat. I also have to say that it was good to see Richard Gere not taking himself too seriously.

All in all, a solid movie, but IMO , not at all deserving of all the Oscar hype that its getting.
:?
-Carlos

Pwaybloe

Quote from: ProgWRXAll in all, a solid movie, but IMO, not at all deserving of all the Oscar hype that its getting.
:?

Make that Oscar awards.  

Wasn't my favorite movie of the year, but it still deserved Best Picture.

polkablues

Not the best, but it deserves to be considered the best.  That's about right.   8)

"Chicago" was good, though.  I'm just glad "Gangs of New York" or "Lord of the Rings: The Giant Talking Trees" didn't win.
My house, my rules, my coffee

RegularKarate

Quote from: PawbloeWasn't my favorite movie of the year, but it still deserved Best Picture.

???

I was pretty sure it would win because it's usually the worst of the nominees that wins.

What a piece of shit insult that this thing was even considered.

America, you have been taken advantage of.  You were given a piss-poorly made musical wrapped up in a shiny package loaded with quick cuts to cover the bad dancing and mediocre songs and you ate it up like the fried turd it was.  Congrats.

Cecil

sometimes i feel really bad for liking this film

polkablues

Quote from: RegularKarate???

I was pretty sure it would win because it's usually the worst of the nominees that wins.

America, you have been taken advantage of.  You were given a piss-poorly made musical wrapped up in a shiny package loaded with quick cuts to cover the bad dancing and mediocre songs and you ate it up like the fried turd it was.  Congrats.

Yeah, but did you like it?
My house, my rules, my coffee

RegularKarate

Quote from: RegularKarate
???

Quote from: polkablues
Yeah, but did you like it?
Best movie of the year

budgie

Quote from: GhostboyIt was a great cynical crowd pleaser, in that it suggested that murder is fun and easy to get away with (if you're a hot dame, that is).

Yawn. Same old shit (Chicago's femmes that is, not you, Ghostboy).

I found it tiresome, samey, underpowered and old. And offensive for above reason. I went along just for a laugh and came out more depressed than I've been in a long time. Ugh, that titless woman.

ProgWRX

yes, i dont know what the hell happened to Renee ... she was so cute in Jerry Maguire, and she was thin, but still had a femenine body.

hell, most of the other girls in Chicago were sickly thin, they made Catherine Zeta-Jones look "thick", which is ridiculous, since she is *just right* (as far as weight vs height)

disturbing to say the least.
-Carlos

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: ProgWRXyes, i dont know what the hell happened to Renee ...

And she was so great in Nurse Betty... just great...  :(  ....

I agree with budgie. Fun at first, but depressingly meaningless...

Dancer in the Dark is the musical that deserved to win

budgie

Quote from: Jeremy BlackmanI agree with budgie. Fun at first, but depressingly meaningless...

Dancer in the Dark is the musical that deserved to win

I don't think it was meaningless (I don't understand that word). And it was fun for the first number, or maybe up till Roxie got arrested. But all the numbers were shot in the same style, the pace never changed and it had nothing to say with the form that hasn't been said before and better. Cath Zeta-Jones was good but her thighs are too chunky for a dancer in my opinion.

Moulin Rouge deserved to win. But I agree with Dancer In The Dark too. Maybe The Singing Detective will be better, though whether it's really a musical I'm not sure. One thing I dread is Vin Diesel in Guys and Dolls.  :cry: