Zodiac

Started by MacGuffin, January 20, 2005, 01:26:15 AM

MacGuffin

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

modage

EVERYBODY WATCH THAT.  :shock:

David Fincher is officially the master of incorporating CGI seamlessly into a film.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

matt35mm

It's pretty amazing all right.  Although the shot of Mark Ruffalo standing with the city lights behind him is the one shot that I and a few other people could tell was bluescreened.  And it was fairly obvious that the slow motion blood and cheek rippling was CGI (the blood the flies out when the couple is stabbed at the park also doesn't look quite right).

But those were the few things out of what looks like maybe hundreds of CGI shots, most of which I never would have thought about, let alone catch.

And to create a great film on top of all that is a stunning feat.  I want to see it again!

ElPandaRoyal

Quote from: modage on September 19, 2007, 01:49:29 PM
EVERYBODY WATCH THAT.  :shock:

David Fincher is officially the master of incorporating CGI seamlessly into a film.

Indeed he is. I think this was one of the best making-off featurettes I've ever seen. I mean, there were shot where I had NO ideia were CGI'd. Trully great and, as matt35mm says, to create a great film on top off all that is amazing.
Si

MacGuffin

Source: Hollywood Elsewhere

Ever since David Fincher's Zodiac opened early last March the hardcores have been eagerly awaiting the "Directors' Cut" DVD, in part over expectations that something close to a three-hour version of this classic crime-obsession movie would be offered, especially as I'd heard from various sources that something close to a 180-minute cut has been screened, with one publicist telling me in particular that he preferred the longer version to the the final release-print version, which either ran 156 minutes (according to Variety's Todd McCarthy), 157 minutes (per Amazon) or 158 minutes (says the IMDB).

Now for some mildly shocking news: the Zodiac "Director's Cut" DVD that will be released on 1.8.08 (official stories have run over the last couple of days) will run 162 minutes, according to a story by DVD Lounge's Travis Leammons. That will make it a mere five minutes longer than the theatrical version (if you go by the Amazon running time) or six minutes longer if you go with McCarthy's count.

The whole point of Zodiac is obsession. The fun is in the obsessive wading through detail after detail, clue after clue, hint after hint. It follows, therefore, that the Director's Cut DVD should give free rein to the film's investigative intrigues (Jake Gyllenhaal's, Mark Ruffalo's, Robert Downey's...everyone's). This naturally means more details, hints and clues and more running time to explore each one. In this light, five or six extra minutes isn't nearly enough. I was looking for at least an extra 20 or 25 minutes. This is very disappointing.

I called Phoenix Picture to see if the 162-minute running time was correct. One guy expressed surprise at this length ("I would have thought it would be closer to three hours") but said "we have nothing to do with the director's cut." I called Paramount Home Video publicity to double-confirm the running time, but the person I was looking for wasn't in. I tried to reach David Fincher's Benjamin Button crew but gave up after a three or four calls. This sounds obsessive in itself.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Ravi

Quote from: MacGuffin on July 19, 2007, 08:47:52 PM
Zodiac to Dip Again

http://www.dvdactive.com/news/releases/zodiac4.html

Paramount has announced  Zodiac: Director's Cut which stars Jake Gyllenhaal. This David Fincher directed thriller will be available to own from the 8th January. Extras will include:

-Commentary by David Fincher,

-Commentary by Jake Gyllenhall, Robert Downey Jr, Producer Brad Fischer, James Vanderbilt and James Ellroy, a

-Zodiac Deciphered documentary

-Visual Effects of Zodiac featurette

-Digital Workflow featurette

-Sequence breakdowns (Blue Rock Springs, Lake Berryessa, and San Francisco)

-This is the Zodiac Speaking featurette, a featurette on Linguistic Analysis

-His Name Was Arthur Leigh Allen featurette

-Jeopardy Surface: Geographic Profiling

-Dr. Kim Rossmo's Geographic Profile of the Zodiac

-The Psychology of Aggression: Behavioral Profiling

-Special Agent Sharon Pagaling-Hagan's Behavioral Profile of the Zodiac

-Trailers and TV spots.

picolas

"For anyone wondering - the runtime is listed as being 2 Hr. 42 Min which makes it around 5 minutes longer than the theatrical cut."

Dammit. someone please explain whether this is just 5 extra minutes or an actual different cut with more new minutes and some footage deleted.

SoNowThen

Probably just the inclusion of that speakerphone scene he loved so much...
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

MacGuffin

Fincher showing 'Zodiac' director's cut
Source: Hollywood Reporter

NEW YORK -- Eight months after its theatrical release, David Fincher will present the director's cut of his thriller "Zodiac" at an event hosted by the Film Society of Lincoln Center.

Fincher will make a rare appearance to discuss his work Nov. 19 at the Walter Reade Theater on New York. Although he's known for shooting an extensive amount of footage, the new cut of his film about the infamous Zodiac serial killer case runs only seven minutes longer than the 158-minute original.

FSLC associate director of programming Kent Jones will interview Fincher about his directing career onstage following the screening.

A bare-bones DVD of the original "Zodiac" theatrical release was issued in July. The director's cut will be given a two-disc release with bonus featurettes and documentaries about the film and real-life events that inspired it on Jan. 8.

Skeleton FilmWorks

modage

ATTN: NYC
a few more details...

An Evening with David Fincher
Series: Directors/Actors/Writers 2007
Runtime: 223

A screening of Zodic: THe Director's Cut (US, 2007; 163m). Afterwards, David Fincher will make a rare public appearance, joining Kent Jones, associate director of programming at the Film Society and editor-at-large of Film Comment magazine, on the stage of the Walter Reade Theater for a conversation about this remarkable film.
6:30PM    Tickets go on sale 10/23/07 at 12:00 PM
http://www.filmlinc.com/
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

modage

Gamblour.

It's no Blood screening.
WWPTAD?

edison

matt35mm

I want that in my home.

Pubrick

i want that in my life.
under the paving stones.