eternal sunshine de l'mind spotless..

Started by Satcho9, February 03, 2003, 10:15:53 PM

MacGuffin

Quicktime (and other formats) Trailer up now here.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

modage

Video Auteur Michel Gondry Goes From White Stripes To 'Eternal Sunshine'
Source: MTV.COM

Michel Gondry — director of innovative, eye-popping videos such as his latest for the White Stripes, "The Hardest Button to Button" — isn't resting on his creative laurels. He's putting the finishing touches on his second feature-length film, "Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind."

"For me, it is very important not to repeat myself — go to a place I haven't been [creatively] before," Gondry said at the New York edition of Resfest, which closed with a retrospective of his work. "If the project is challenging, then it is more interesting personally."

"Sunshine," a dark psychological comedy, is set for release on March 19 and reunites the auteur with idiosyncratic "Adaptation" screenwriter Charlie Kaufman, who penned the original script for Gondry's feature debut, "Human Nature." The movie stars Jim Carrey, Kirsten Dunst, Elijah Wood and Kate Winslet and concerns a man who elects to undergo an experimental surgery to have his memories removed after his girlfriend does the same.

"[Kaufman's] scripts had a lot of recognition [initially], but people never dared to make them," Gondry said. "Spike [Jonze] and I were the first ones to give [Kaufman] a chance. So now I think he feels safe working with us."

While Carrey and Winslet play estranged lovers, veteran actor Tom Wilkinson ("In the Bedroom") portrays the doctor who ascribes to the motto "ignorance is bliss" by erasing his patients' unhappy memories. Elijah Wood and Kirsten Dunst play Wilkinson's technicians.

A mock advertisement Lacuna Inc., the company headed by Wilkinson's character, can be found at lacunainc.com. Much like the fake voicemail that Paul Thomas Anderson created for Tom Cruise's misogynistic character in "Magnolia," the site purports to be for a real medical firm that can help visitors book mind-erasing procedures.

While Gondry has worked with plenty of A-listers, there is one star who keeps alluding him: Michael Jackson. "'Butterfly,' I think, is one of [Jackson's] best songs ever, and I've asked millions of times to do a video for him [for that song]," the director said. "I've even said I'd do it for free, and I get no response."

Ultimately, it may matter little, as Gondry — who has lensed six videos for Björk and three for the White Stripes — has a fondness for sticking with the same creative peers. After he's finished with "Sunshine," Gondry will once again work with his "Human Nature" stars Patricia Arquette and Rhys Ifan on his third feature, "The Science of Sleep," which will also include Drew Barrymore.

"I like [forging] relationships with artists where you build a trust that is comfortable and you can both grow," Gondry said. "Without it, you have to convince people that you understand their artistic intentions."

Based on a story he wrote, Gondry said "Sleep" would be aesthetically more akin to his video work and described the plot as concerning "a man who learns to manipulate his dreams and then ends up being trapped in them." The film is set to start production in 2004.

In the interim, a DVD compilation titled "The Work of Director Michel Gondry" will be available on October 28.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

ono

Quote from: MacGuffinRelease Date Shifts: "Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind" has been delayed to early 2004.
I just checked on IMDb.com, and now it's listed as having a limited release in November, with a wider release coming in April 2004.  Seems to me a lot of movies trying to get in for "Oscar" follow a similar pattern, though they don't wait all the way until April for a wide release.

Ghostboy

That was the original plan, but they gave up on the Oscar idea a while back.

godardian

This looks really appealing. I enjoyed Gondry's last film, apparently more so than many...
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

Weak2ndAct

Quote from: godardianThis looks really appealing. I enjoyed Gondry's last film, apparently more so than many...
I was really hyped on seeing Human Nature, but was kinda let down when I saw it.  But I gave it a second viewing on dvd and liked it a whole lot more (my expectations were Jonze and I got something different).  

Can't wait to see 'Sunshine,' the script is so freakin' good.  I can only imagine what the visuals are going to be like (staying away from the trailer as much as humanly possible).

bonanzataz

Quote from: Onomatopoeia
Quote from: MacGuffinRelease Date Shifts: "Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind" has been delayed to early 2004.
I just checked on IMDb.com, and now it's listed as having a limited release in November, with a wider release coming in April 2004.  Seems to me a lot of movies trying to get in for "Oscar" follow a similar pattern, though they don't wait all the way until April for a wide release.

so, is sony releasing this one or what?
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

Ernie

Oh thank god they moved it up a month. That would have been ridiculous to wait all the way till April. I'm a huge fan of Gondry's, can't wait to pick up the dvd Tuesday to get back in the feeling, still can't believe they released it. I actually have yet to see Human Nature, it just sounds kinda dumb to me. This one sounds A LOT better though, can't wait till March.

modage

Quote from: ebeamanOh thank god they moved it up a month. That would have been ridiculous to wait all the way till April. I'm a huge fan of Gondry's, can't wait to pick up the dvd Tuesday to get back in the feeling, still can't believe they released it. I actually have yet to see Human Nature, it just sounds kinda dumb to me. This one sounds A LOT better though, can't wait till March.

yeah if you're a fan of gondry, i would say skip Human Nature.  dont tarnish his image.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Ernie

Quote from: themodernage02
Quote from: ebeamanOh thank god they moved it up a month. That would have been ridiculous to wait all the way till April. I'm a huge fan of Gondry's, can't wait to pick up the dvd Tuesday to get back in the feeling, still can't believe they released it. I actually have yet to see Human Nature, it just sounds kinda dumb to me. This one sounds A LOT better though, can't wait till March.

yeah if you're a fan of gondry, i would say skip Human Nature.  dont tarnish his image.

Right right, that's what I was thinking. I may see it sooner or later but Sunshine will definitely be my first Gondry feature.

meatwad

From www.director-file.com

One review from director Ruben Fleischer: "Monday night was the funnest in a long time. ... It was rad. I knew a bunch of people at the party, and Bjork dj'ed. Jon Brion was there, which I was so stoked about because I hadn't seen him in a long time. He's doing the score for Gondry's new film starring Jim Carey [sic]. Pretty exciting. It was a great party and lots of good times were had by all."

did anybody else know that brion was doing the score for this? This kicks so much ass

Disco Stu

Quote from: MeatwadFrom www.director-file.com

One review from director Ruben Fleischer: "Monday night was the funnest in a long time. ... It was rad. I knew a bunch of people at the party, and Bjork dj'ed. Jon Brion was there, which I was so stoked about because I hadn't seen him in a long time. He's doing the score for Gondry's new film starring Jim Carey [sic]. Pretty exciting. It was a great party and lots of good times were had by all."

did anybody else know that brion was doing the score for this? This kicks so much ass

I was just coming on here to post that.  That is very cool.  I am so psyched to see this movie, especially after watching Gondry's DVD.  Did anyone else get the DVD and see the short film with David Cross dressed as shit and following his "daddy" around town asking him why he didn't look at him anymore?
I used to do drugs.  I still do but I used to too!

cine

Quote from: Onomatopoeia
From Entertainment Weekly:
The Charlie Kaufman-scripted dramedy, originally set for release in November, is now scheduled for March 19, 2004, according to a Focus Features rep. Why the holdup? It seems director Michel Gondry is still tinkering with the film, which wrapped in March.

pinkerton310

"Sun is shining in the sky...there ain't a cloud in sight" Gotta love some ELO. This film is gonna be trippy.
They say we all lose 21 grams at the exact moment of our death... everyone. The weight of a stack of nickels. The weight of a chocolate bar. The weight of a hummingbird...

RegularKarate