DOWN SINCE DAY ONE?

Started by modage, July 06, 2003, 08:50:39 PM

Ernie

Quote from: BrainSushistarted getting serious about wanting to become a filmmaker

Yup, PTA had the same influence on me. I had wanted to be involved in making movies before with Spielberg as an influence and Burton and The Farrelly Bros too as I mentioned but PT is the reason I went farther than that like I said. Pretty much all the filmmaker's I discovered post-BN can somehow be traced back to my discovery of it. Which I guess means that it can be traced back to my horniness (sp?).

I just remembered this really wild, fucked up thing that happened awhile ago, probably back in late 1999. I was only 13 at the time so I don't remember exactly what movie it was that I rented but I remember (my sister does too) always renting some movie that had this trailer (the teaser actually) for Magnolia before it and we always used to watch it as we were oddly intrigued by it...that's pretty cool I think. I know it wasn't THAT long ago but all the same. It does kinda make sense that we were intrigued by it too when you think about it...with how fast paced and loud it was...with the editing and the music. At the time, that's what interested us. Same thing with Bottle Rocket too, there was a trailer of it before some movie we always used to rent. We always used to say "we're going to see those movies when we're allowed to." That a great memory. We've been trying to remember both of the movies so we could maybe rent them again just for nostalgia...that'd be great.

Anybody know by any chance? What tapes they might have been on? The Magnolia one was probably a New Line movie, right? I might be able to narrow it down. What would the Bottle Rocket one be though, Columbia? I don't remember. Anyway, that's cool.

Alethia

Quote from: BrainSushiOh, and I eventually did find Sydney on DVD at Borders. Quite recently, actually.

ME TOO!

I was but a youngen when PTA got big, thats why i was so late.  I didn't get serious about being a filmmaker when i saw magnolia (i got serious when I was three and saw grande illusion, oh yes), it just got me that much more excited.

Pubrick

Quote from: eward(i got serious when I was three and saw grande illusion, oh yes),.
ok we need to rename XIXAX: film talk for cinephiles and ppl who are delusional.

this phony crap is just getting ridiculous.
under the paving stones.

ono

Quote from: ebeamanWhich I guess means that it can be traced back to my horniness (sp?).

Quote from: Roger Ebert, in his review of Storytelling,For some artists, especially younger ones, the creative impulse is linked directly to the genitals: They create because it they hope it makes them sexually attractive. This is a truth so obvious it is rarely mentioned in creative writing circles, although writers as various as Philip Roth, Thomas Wolfe and Martin Amis have built their careers on it. "Storytelling," the in-your-face new film by Todd Solondz, is a confessional in which Solondz explores his own methods and motives, and tries to come clean.
:)

sexterossa

i saw BOOGIE NIGHTS first on HBO. i knew i liked it but i don't think i paid attention to directors at that age. then i saw MAGNOLIA in theaters (because of amazing trailers), noticed a suspiciously similar cast to BOOGIE NIGHTS, realized who the director was, fell in love with the movie, obsessing with it for the past four years, and finally joined the board to find out more information about Punch Drunk Love. i was too eager. i can't remember if i rented HARD EIGHT before or after i joined the board though.
I dream of birds and sometimes they land and burst into flames. And I dream my teeth are rotting. And when I am awake, I dream of you.

brockly

I remember hiring Magnolia on video, bout 3 years ago, and absolutly loved it. I then took notice of the director and hired Boogie Nights. I liked it but not as much as Magnolia. Have to admit I didn't think too much of it at the time. When I became a more matured movie viewer, I hired BN again and it became one of my favorites. I watched it over and over again and came to realise it was a much better made film then Magnolia. So I became a big fan and followed PDL since it was entitled "Untitled PT Anderson Project" on IMDB. Sadly, Hard Eight is very hard to find in Australia, so I didn't get a chance to see that until about 4 months ago when it was on TV. I thought it was great. I am now a die hard PTA fan and he has replace QT as my favorite director.

markums2k

Quote from: P
Quote from: eward(i got serious when I was three and saw grande illusion, oh yes),.
ok we need to rename XIXAX: film talk for cinephiles and ppl who are delusional.

I think it's more amazing how many people here seem to be under 18.  I take this site a little less seriously now.   :-D

"I was a young-un..." "I was in GRADE SCHOOL..." "I was only three years old..." "blah blah blah..." "Now that I have my driving permit, I can truly understand PTA..." "blah blah..."

Please forgive me.  It's early where I am.  And I'm quite bitchy in the morning.

fulty

Quote from: markums2kPlease forgive me.

That is the only part of the previous post I find acceptable.

Right now I am ashamed to be in the over 18 crowd.

Edit 7/10/03
:oops: Woops
Sorry... I missed the quotes around "blah-blah-blah"
My bad.
Tinapop  

I used to be smart.... now I'm just stupid.

markums2k

Quote from: fulty

Sorry you don't approve.

Pubrick

Quote from: markums2kPlease forgive me.  It's early where I am.  And I'm quite bitchy in the morning.
no dude, ur right on about the under 18 stuff,. the less of that the better really.
under the paving stones.

jokerspath

Quote from: markums2k
Quote from: fulty

Sorry you don't approve.

I hate to say so too, but when I realized how young some of the people on here are, I was a little letdown.  I'm at the end of my schooling and I thought I would be a bit young.

Obviously a passionate 16 year old can probably be more articulate than anyone on his favorite subject, but the enthusiasm some of the people on here display betrays real naievete [sp].

It seems with age you're less likely to rant about some director or some movie as if he/she/it were your hidden gem, that no one else knows about.  But that is what I've seen in my short time here, people hysterical for something/someone, trying to champion their cause because it earns them another identity mark.

But for all I know, the majority of users on here could be still be teenagers, and that would be fine, because, for the most part, there is a lot of really intelligent discourse, so I apologize if this post comes off as rude...

aw
THIS IS NOT AN EXIT

Alethia

Quote from: P

yes i think ur right.

SoNowThen

Hehehe. I'm 22, and when I see a great film I will gush for days. I will rant with enthusiasm. And good lordy, I hope I'm still doing that in 20 years' time. If that pisses people off here, then Fudge Ya.

The problem with most people is that they can't seem to get any maturity and aged wisdom without losing enthusiastic naivette. But look at Marty Scorsese. Guy's 60 years old, and he buzzes like a fridge when he talks about a good flick. Kudos to you, Marty. We should only hope to have 10% of your passion.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Alethia

Quote from: SoNowThenHehehe. I'm 22, and when I see a great film I will gush for days. I will rant with enthusiasm. And good lordy, I hope I'm still doing that in 20 years' time. If that pisses people off here, then Fudge Ya.

The problem with most people is that they can't seem to get any maturity and aged wisdom without losing enthusiastic naivette. But look at Marty Scorsese. Guy's 60 years old, and he buzzes like a fridge when he talks about a good flick. Kudos to you, Marty. We should only hope to have 10% of your passion.

very nice.

Ernie

Yea, I don't fucking care if somebody thinks I'm stupid.  8)