Being the Ricardos

Started by wilberfan, December 05, 2021, 02:16:11 PM

wilberfan

https://youtu.be/WvrjCdtB0zM

A real snooze for me, unfortunately, as I've enjoyed most Sorkin output over the years. That may have been caused in large part after having just finished what I consider a far superior telling of this story:  Season 3 of the podcast The Plot Thickens*.  The performances were fine--I especially enjoyed that of Nina Arianda as Vivian Vance--but the constant snark from the characters towards each other wore out it's welcome quite quickly.  (Sorkin snark is very clever--but it kept me distanced from the central characters.)   I almost got up and left the theatre at least three times--but after having driven an hour to get there--and the fact that Sorkin was going to do a Q&A after--I decided to stick around.  (He did have a few interesting things to say.)

Walking back to the car, I think I overheard someone in the two couples ahead of me say, "Yeah, I really didn't like it either."  I'll be interested to see how it goes over with critics and the public.

If you can only do one, do the podcast.  If you have the time to do both, I'd say do the movie first. 

*I can't recommend this series highly enough.  One of my favorites.