LP awards talk

Started by Jeremy Blackman, November 17, 2021, 03:17:07 PM

wilberfan

Quote from: Drill on February 08, 2022, 01:22:01 PM
Well, this should definitely keep him in business with MGM.

Maybe.  If De Luca moves on not convinced MGM would hang on to Paul...  maybe if he won director or picture?

Find Your Magali

Not sure how they're planning the Oscar ceremony this year, but it would not surprise me to see Hoffman and Haim come out as presenters for one of the below-the-line awards.

wilberfan

I'd enjoy that.  Would feel like a win-win--especially if they were natural and charming and having fun (as opposed to a stiff teleprompter reading).  It would give the film a little boost as well, I would think.  (I'll bet Alana getting to present an Oscar would help make up for not being nominated...) 

Find Your Magali

By any measure, an astounding debut for Haim. If you had said a year ago that she'd win a half-dozen critics' awards, land a BAFTA nomination and be in the conversation for a Best Actress Oscar nomination straight through the eve of the nominations, you'd likely be laughed out of the room.

It remains to be seen if she'll be a one-hit wonder. This was a role written for her and directed by the man I consider to be the best current director of actors on the planet. 

But regardless of whether she goes on to star in a dozen major films or simply fades back to being a pop star, what you can't take away is that this was a Oscar-worthy performance. Don't know if anyone else makes this comparison, but it reminds me a bit of Faye Wong in Chungking Express.

Yes

Alana will be his Shelley Duvall but without doing a Shining with someone else lol

wilberfan

Quote from: Find Your Magali on February 08, 2022, 06:17:08 PM
By any measure, an astounding debut for Haim. If you had said a year ago that she'd win a half-dozen critics' awards, land a BAFTA nomination and be in the conversation for a Best Actress Oscar nomination straight through the eve of the nominations, you'd likely be laughed out of the room.

It remains to be seen if she'll be a one-hit wonder. This was a role written for her and directed by the man I consider to be the best current director of actors on the planet. 

But regardless of whether she goes on to star in a dozen major films or simply fades back to being a pop star, what you can't take away is that this was a Oscar-worthy performance.

Very well put.   :bravo:

Rooty Poots

Quote from: Find Your Magali on February 08, 2022, 06:17:08 PM

But regardless of whether she goes on to star in a dozen major films or simply fades back to being a pop star, what you can't take away is that this was a Oscar-worthy performance. Don't know if anyone else makes this comparison, but it reminds me a bit of Faye Wong in Chungking Express.

Remember when the first photo of Alana and Cooper in the truck were leaked, and we were all trying to figure out if that even *was* Alana, and a lot of dread of "Oh no, he cast Haim" was shared? Boy how things have changed.
Hire me for your design projects ya turkeys! Lesterco

Drenk

Not that much for me.  :yabbse-grin: But Alana wasn't bad outside of a few forced lines reading, she was totally game.
Ascension.

RudyBlatnoyd

I would've thought that the fact this is MGM's first Best Picture contender in decades, plus the acclaim, plus the not-too-disastrous box office returns (factoring in the relative fortunes of other similar releases during the pandemic) means that the studio would be inclined to work with PTA again, especially if they need 'quality content' for their deal with Amazon. But what do I know.

pynchonikon

Two interesting Oscars trivia:

-LP became the fourth film in history to be nominated only for Picture, Directing and Screenplay. The previous three are Bad Girl ('31), Little Women ('33) and 12 Angry Men ('57). Note that these films were nominated for Adapted Screenplay.

-PTA became the youngest filmmaker alive (b. 1970) to reach 3 nominations for Best Director. Jason Reitman (b. 1977) has 2.

Drenk

Interesting. I didn't suspect that it was that rare for a movie to only get these three nominations.

And I guess PTA is slightly better than Jason Reitman, then.  :ponder:
Ascension.

DickHardwood2022

Quote from: Drenk on February 09, 2022, 06:13:19 AM
Interesting. I didn't suspect that it was that rare for a movie to only get these three nominations.

And I guess PTA is slightly better than Jason Reitman, then.  :ponder:

ah drenk your negativity has been missed  :yabbse-grin:

Drenk

There's no negativity in this post. The first line is a fact: this is interesting. The second line is a joke.

There is negativity in the precedent message where I say that Alana Haim is an average actress who's only Oscar worthy because Emma Stone received one. Not that being Oscar worthy is a good thing.
Ascension.

jzakko

She's only oscar-worthy because Emma Stone received one?  What does that mean? That Stone lowered the bar or something?

kingfan011

Quote from: pynchonikon on February 09, 2022, 06:10:40 AM
Two interesting Oscars trivia:

-LP became the fourth film in history to be nominated only for Picture, Directing and Screenplay. The previous three are Bad Girl ('31), Little Women ('33) and 12 Angry Men ('57). Note that these films were nominated for Adapted Screenplay.

-PTA became the youngest filmmaker alive (b. 1970) to reach 3 nominations for Best Director. Jason Reitman (b. 1977) has 2.

Interesting stat.