LP awards talk

Started by Jeremy Blackman, November 17, 2021, 03:17:07 PM

kingfan011

Remember in general European film awards like PTA better than American film awards. I still don't but it winning best screenplay at the Oscars.

Yes

PTA lost the WGA to Don't Look Up of all things. There goes the Oscar hopes.

Oscar will be Belfast or Don't Look Up.

Maybe wrongright got the last laugh after all

Drill

At least I don't have to watch now.

jviness02

He is too good for the Oscars.

©brad

Quote from: Yes on March 20, 2022, 07:43:24 PMPTA lost the WGA to Don't Look Up of all things. There goes the Oscar hopes.

Anything but Don't Look Up. McKay's chokehold on a large faction of academy members is so confounding.

RudyBlatnoyd

Quote from: ©brad on March 22, 2022, 10:37:30 AM
Quote from: Yes on March 20, 2022, 07:43:24 PMPTA lost the WGA to Don't Look Up of all things. There goes the Oscar hopes.

Anything but Don't Look Up. McKay's chokehold on a large faction of academy members is so confounding.

It is honestly embarrassing what a lot of film industry folk vote for during awards season. Still, I guess it helps to explain the current state of Hollywood!

Alexandro

Quote from: RudyBlatnoyd on March 22, 2022, 11:22:30 AMIt is honestly embarrassing what a lot of film industry folk vote for during awards season. Still, I guess it helps to explain the current state of Hollywood!

Not from Hollywood myself but I'm frequently astounded at the amount of "industry professionals" who seem to not really like cinema as an art form nor are interested in cultivating a refined taste in the medium.

Quite a lot of people I know in the industry over here loved Don't look Up, and engaged on endless facebook discussions on it's "message" and "fantastic screenplay", as if the subject matter gave the film instant validation.

I've been in film sets and writers rooms where some very respected and well paid pros barely watch movies outside of whatever Netflix or Hbo Max are telling them to watch. I'm not shocked anymore when the guilds vote for crowdpleasers instead of more artsy stuff. Truth to be told many of these guys resent artsy films and their directors.

That's why PTA is more of a critic's filmmaker, people with the disposition and patience to dig into his stuff and find it's value. A lot of the professionals don't really "get" what the fuss is about not only with LP but with his whole career.

Find Your Magali

It's been a weird Oscar season. Too drawn out, allowing for multiple surges of momentum and ebbs and flows of support.

I suspect that if the nominations were done today, PTA wouldn't even get the Best Direction nomination. So at least there's the consolation that he got three more nominations notched in his impressive career belt.

Right now, I suspect he's sitting behind both McKay and Branagh for the win, as the Academy members decide whether they want the virtue-signaling of honoring Branagh's career or McKay's climate change movie.

pynchonikon

Quote from: Alexandro on March 22, 2022, 12:21:17 PM
Quote from: RudyBlatnoyd on March 22, 2022, 11:22:30 AMIt is honestly embarrassing what a lot of film industry folk vote for during awards season. Still, I guess it helps to explain the current state of Hollywood!

Not from Hollywood myself but I'm frequently astounded at the amount of "industry professionals" who seem to not really like cinema as an art form nor are interested in cultivating a refined taste in the medium.

Quite a lot of people I know in the industry over here loved Don't look Up, and engaged on endless facebook discussions on it's "message" and "fantastic screenplay", as if the subject matter gave the film instant validation.

I've been in film sets and writers rooms where some very respected and well paid pros barely watch movies outside of whatever Netflix or Hbo Max are telling them to watch. I'm not shocked anymore when the guilds vote for crowdpleasers instead of more artsy stuff. Truth to be told many of these guys resent artsy films and their directors.

That's why PTA is more of a critic's filmmaker, people with the disposition and patience to dig into his stuff and find it's value. A lot of the professionals don't really "get" what the fuss is about not only with LP but with his whole career.

Very enlightening thoughts that we should always keep in mind.
Since he still manages to gather noms there must be a considerable amount of respect for him among the industry, but never enough passion to go all the way.
Hopefully he will soon have the Departed-moment (in the sense of overdue narrative) of his career, when he will be too undeniable to be disregarded.

Yes

PTA just doesn't make zeitgeist films or movies that are emotionally accessible to broad consensus.

The industry throws itself over CODA, a film with a social conscious about an underrepresented community. Adam McKay has a chokehold on the industry for insisting he's the new Oliver Stone/Michael Moore--making "important" films that appease the liberalism of Hollywood.

But truly what bothers me the most is this fake overdue narrative surrounding Kenneth Branagh of all people. Belfast is a completely insular period piece yet there's a seemingly large sentiment of people believing it's time to finally give Branagh his due.. for what? Working 40 years in Hollywood? Directing less than 3 good movies? Stroking off to Shakespeare? How the industry would find the director of Artemis Fowl more rewarding of consolation than the director of Boogie Nights and There Will Be Blood says all you need to know about awards? But that's just how it's always been.

pynchonikon

Quote from: Yes on March 22, 2022, 03:31:26 PMPTA just doesn't make zeitgeist films or movies that are emotionally accessible to broad consensus.

The industry throws itself over CODA, a film with a social conscious about an underrepresented community. Adam McKay has a chokehold on the industry for insisting he's the new Oliver Stone/Michael Moore--making "important" films that appease the liberalism of Hollywood.

But truly what bothers me the most is this fake overdue narrative surrounding Kenneth Branagh of all people. Belfast is a completely insular period piece yet there's a seemingly large sentiment of people believing it's time to finally give Branagh his due.. for what? Working 40 years in Hollywood? Directing less than 3 good movies? Stroking off to Shakespeare? How the industry would find the director of Artemis Fowl more rewarding of consolation than the director of Boogie Nights and There Will Be Blood says all you need to know about awards? But that's just how it's always been.

I have the feeling from the early screenings' reactions and the NBR awards, that there was the "it's his time" willingness at the beginning of the season. Then more people actually saw the film, Twitter found out what it's really about, things got ugly, and we know the rest. Branagh and his basic oscar bait on the other hand have been the pundits' darling all these months.
The BAFTA screenplay win has to do simply with the fact that the reception in Europe was much warmer than in the US.

Yes

Quote from: pynchonikon on March 22, 2022, 05:43:26 PM
Quote from: Yes on March 22, 2022, 03:31:26 PMPTA just doesn't make zeitgeist films or movies that are emotionally accessible to broad consensus.

I have the feeling from the early screenings' reactions and the NBR awards, that there was the "it's his time" willingness at the beginning of the season. Then more people actually saw the film, Twitter found out what it's really about, things got ugly, and we know the rest. Branagh and his basic oscar bait on the other hand have been the pundits' darling all these months.
The BAFTA screenplay win has to do simply with the fact that the reception in Europe was much warmer than in the US.

Twitter reactions have no impact on how people vote. Literally zero. Social media is so divorced from the industry and reality. Adam McKay wouldn't win SAG if true, every actor and film in history would be canceled. Jane Campion would be shut out on Sunday for her Williams Sisters remark if Twitter influenced awards. And the movie made almost every guild it could have, except the Costume. PGA + DGA + WGA + ADG + ACE and Cooper hit SAG. I wouldn't say the European reception is much better when the broad American guilds say otherwise. Hollywood just likes to vote for movies that "matter" to them. Always have. Career/narrative/overdue wins are so rare, as is. Glenn Close would have won for Hillbilly Elegy or The Wife if true. Scorsese wouldn't have waited until Departed.