A Lot of Drum Videos and One Comic Book

Started by HACKANUT, November 07, 2021, 10:33:32 PM

HACKANUT

This is a post offering up a couple of my projects.

First: A Lot of Drum Videos

https://www.youtube.com/c/CoreyHackathorn

Nov 2016 I gave myself a goal of playing drums everyday for a month. To keep myself accountable I was going to record and post the videos on YouTube.  The goal of each video, each time sitting down at the kit, was to explore something in the moment. Build some sort of structure, play with it, land the plane. That's it. Meditation with the drums. rinse. repeat. 30 days.

Cool. Did it... But it seemed easy enough. So I didn't stop. Off to the races...

About 3 years ago (?) I started incorporating electronics into my set up. sampling and triggering non-drum sounds. So the drum videos turned into "songs" and more and more the real-time composition part of this exercise was the carrot on the stick for me. the videos were just the byproduct. The wake of the more important thing which was the DOING of the whole task. The sitting down and attempting to dream up some new something everyday.

So, cut to mid October this year, I still havent stopped. havent missed a single day. its like some weird obsessive thing at this point. I'm just getting burnt out. So I'm taking a bit of a breather right now on the videos.

But, regardless, there's a little under 1800 of these explorations documented now and the time capsule of it all pleases me.

Feel free to watch whatever random video but here's a few recent selections:

Now, One Comic Book.

https://www.shitheadcomix.com/

https://www.instagram.com/shithead_comix/

Fall 2019 I was home for the holidays and my parents busted out a stash of my childhood drawings. I really hadn't drawn anything in over 10 years. No important reason, just stopped eventually. Looking through them I felt all this dread at the (now, long dead) potential progress I could have made if I'd only stuck with it.

So I started drawing again and comics started taking shape.

Soon, its the start of the pandemic. I've got a lot of free time all of a sudden, and this idea for some kind of broken, found-family, super hero comic riff was brewing in my head.

It turned into this comic book called Fucked Up Four.

Think Mike Leigh's Meantime, a family just picking at each other when faced with their own sort of... uselessness -- but riffing on the Fantastic Four. And then predicate the whole thing on the "Invisible Woman" of this story, June, being killed in the accident that gave the team their powers -- so they're grieving her loss AND dealing with their newly disfigured bodies... and then add in a bunch of dick jokes and drug-use and that's sort of the vision.

So, taking the drum video thing and bringing it over to comics, I started trying my hand at a daily comic strip (on IG). Fucked Up Four would be the Universe. Lets play around, sort of vibe. See what comes out. Four panels a day.

I did this for a while, following some story beats I knew I wanted to get to along the way, but largely winging it day to day. The fun, again -- like the videos -- was in the doing. Waking up, looking at notes from the day before, writing it, layouts, pencils, lettering it, inking it, scanning it, uploading it. (and finding time to make a drum video somewhere in there too)

Soon I had enough strips that I needed to start "landing the plane" narratively, which was a fun balancing act.

Making comics alone offers a lot of creative freedom but you must also wear many hats. One of those is figuring out how the hell to get a comic printed in the first place. That was a long, painful process of trial and error.

But, in March 2021, about a year after I drew the first Fucked Up Four anything, I released Fucked Up Four No. 1. A 100-page black and white comic.

Currently I'm working on Issue 2... shooting to have it out by March 2022.

And that's that, Mattress Man.

Got pretty long-winded here, but If you've stuck with me this far, Thanks for reading.

WorldForgot

eva + starro + calm for are dope! Will listen through the time capsule. After 1800 the sample deck iz stacked.

HACKANUT

Thanks World! Hope you get some enjoyment out of exploring the backlog :)

Drenk

I love occifer: incredibly calming. Drums are God's gift to Earth. I'll dig into the drawings later!

And I understand how wonderful taking pleasure in the simple act of doing something is, especially when what's actually been done has value.
Ascension.