Untitled Paul Thomas Anderson (10th feature, TBA)

Started by Montclair, September 21, 2021, 09:35:17 PM

Shughes

Is anyone else sceptical about Haddish after her bomb scare of a performance in The Card Counter?

In fairness I don't think I've seen her in anything else, except some stand up stuff. I'm not sure what Paul sees in her.

Anyone else see what I'm missing? Maybe you can point me in the direction of something she's been good in?

Rooty Poots

Quote from: Shughes on November 11, 2021, 04:55:23 PM
Is anyone else sceptical about Haddish after her bomb scare of a performance in The Card Counter?

In fairness I don't think I've seen her in anything else, except some stand up stuff. I'm not sure what Paul sees in her.

Anyone else see what I'm missing? Maybe you can point me in the direction of something she's been good in?

I'm not concerned in the slightest. She can be hit or miss, but if PTA's writing a part just for her and directing her, I have no doubt she'll put out a career-best performance.
Hire me for your design projects ya turkeys! Lesterco

Drenk

She's a great stand up presence and host and guest, but acting-wise? I haven't seen much. Her breakthrough performance was nothing extraordinary—I don't remember the title of the movie, but there was a physical bit about blowing pineapple or something. I'm not sure what the issue with The Card Counter was: underwritten character with bad lines or simply bad acting?

But I'm not worrying. Life's too short to doubt about actors in PTA movies.
Ascension.

Shughes

Quote from: Drenk on November 11, 2021, 05:00:40 PM
She's a great stand up presence and host and guest, but acting-wise? I haven't seen much. Her breakthrough performance was nothing extraordinary—I don't remember the title of the movie, but there was a physical bit about blowing pineapple or something. I'm not sure what the issue with The Card Counter was: underwritten character with bad lines or simply bad acting?

But I'm not worrying. Life's too short to doubt about actors in PTA movies.

For me the issue with The Card Counter could be the script, or the direction, but is definitely bad performance. It didn't help that Oscar Isaac was nailing his part, which made everyone else look even worse. I think the Haddish role would have been better with almost anyone else in it. So perhaps it's just a case of miscasting.

And of course, in PTA we trust. So I'm sure it would be fine in the end.

Montclair

I've never seen The Card Counter, but I've seen her in "Girl's Trip" which is what Paul loved her in. She's very natural and funny, so I'd be surprised if he wrote a straight up dramatic role for her. Maybe she'll play a character like "Marcie" in Magnolia?

Rooty Poots

Quote from: Montclair on November 11, 2021, 05:52:16 PM

I've never seen The Card Counter, but I've seen her in "Girl's Trip" which is what Paul loved her in. She's very natural and funny, so I'd be surprised if he wrote a straight up dramatic role for her. Maybe she'll play a character like "Marcie" in Magnolia?

I hope not; the scene with Marcie has aged the most poorly of all the scenes in the movie.
Hire me for your design projects ya turkeys! Lesterco

jviness02

Haddish is TERRIBLE in The Card Counter, but she was very open that Schrader made her work in a very different way than what she was used to which she said was quite challenging.  PTA has a reputation of doing the opposite. He adjusts(to an extent of course) for his actor.

That said, I'm not loving the Haddish idea, but I'll trust PTA. Even thoug Schrader didn't get a good performance, I do think it's a good sign that another well renowned writer/director was equally smitten about Haddish. There might be something to it.

Montclair

Quote from: gaucho_marx on November 13, 2021, 10:53:42 AM

Not to be the tinfoil hat guy stoking the flames of speculation on his next film before most of us have even seen this one but in this panel he mentions a a stride piano player at the bar. Stride piano is a specific style of jazz piano popular in the 30s-40s.  I would bet his rumored depression era, SoCal jazz film was the thing he put aside to make licorice.

Also, Nina Simone has a song in Licorice Pizza.

wrongright

The Denzel namedrop can't have been just a coincidence. Can't recall him mentioning him before.

I can't see Will Smith being comfortable in PTA's world. Even Tarantino was too much for him.

HACKANUT

I'd call Will Smith not being as likely a win. Personally, I'm much more interested in seeing Denzel/PTA happen. Denzel is P O W E R F U L as fuck on screen.

PaulElroy35

Quote from: wrongright on November 13, 2021, 03:54:21 PM
The Denzel namedrop can't have been just a coincidence. Can't recall him mentioning him before.

I can't see Will Smith being comfortable in PTA's world. Even Tarantino was too much for him.

yeah will smith is all about himself with his films a bad collaborator

pynchonikon

Denzel would be thrilling (and given his age maybe it's now or never), Smith is the commercial draw that lacks range (he just can't disappear into a role - save for Ali ('01)?) but stranger things happen all the time, and Haddish is the new Adam-Sandler situation minus the Sandman's mainstream appeal.

Montclair

Quote from: Drenk on November 13, 2021, 04:06:45 PM
https://twitter.com/tarantallegra/status/1459226525660815364?s=21

He suggested her to Lars Von Trier for "Melancholia," so I know he's a fan.

Will Smith isn't even a box office draw anymore, those days are over.

His hero, Jonathan Demme, directed "Philadelphia" and he and Gary Goeztzman produced "Devil in a Blue Dress." Denzel Washington and Don Cheadle in a film by Paul would ironically be his biggest movie with the most hype attached to it.

Lewton

Quote from: HACKANUT on November 13, 2021, 04:07:38 PM
I'd call Will Smith not being as likely a win. Personally, I'm much more interested in seeing Denzel/PTA happen. Denzel is P O W E R F U L as fuck on screen.

I agree with you about Denzel but I personally think Smith in a PTA movie would almost certainly produce magical results on screen. I also think Smith is still a huge plus for any movie in terms of getting viewers into theaters (I always assumed many people went to see Aladdin primarily because of him and, for whatever it's worth, his relatively new social media presence is really well-managed and popular).

Just a hunch. PTA's comments about The Pursuit of Happyness (Smith is incredible there) made it clear that he understands Smith's talent and potential. It'd also just be so unexpected for PTA in a way...I'm just curious about what that movie would be like, even more than I'd be curious about another Joaquin Phoenix collaboration (which, don't get me wrong, would also make me very curious in its own right because Phoenix is wonderful in both IV and The Master).