The Matrix: Resurrections

Started by Fuzzy Dunlop, August 21, 2019, 12:50:11 PM

Alethia

WorldForgot

Is it really that much worse than the original Matrix's poster?
If it were on a flatter plane would you have dug it more?

Although i dig the Matrix films their posters aren't the best - 1 & 2 have similar posters to this one, and then Revelations is tight but also just a simple character shot.

WorldForgot

In case you feel like listening to the MATRIX: RESURRECTIONS soundrack before seeing the flick ~

There's , that reveals the central conceit of the film. If you don't want to have the surprise revealed, probably best to not watch any of their promo video clips from here on out. And the latest character posters, spoiler tagged cuz tall-images but no actual spoiler:

Spoiler: ShowHide

Drenk

I dig the new Déjà Vu teaser. Really feels like they're cleverly hiding their game.

Ascension.

Drenk

New trailer. New worries.  :yabbse-grin:

It will either be the usual callback shit or something more akin to the twisted meta commentary of The Return. Or maybe something else?

Coming soon.

And for the "gamers" out there: https://www.unrealengine.com/en-US/wakeup
Ascension.

WorldForgot

I'm definitely hoping for the latter. Especially if it allows Lana to warp how we talk about "red-pilled." or even simulation theory in regards to the Matrix.

Drenk

Interesting.

This is a clip from the movie.

Ascension.

Drenk

Seen. Big screen, first screening of the day. The best theater I know.

My immediate gut feeling is quite strange: there's definitely a thirty minutes chunk of the movie that I find extremely laborious, but I loved most of it, and I was sometimes struggling with tears. As cynical as it is romantic.
Ascension.

WorldForgot

The end credits song sez it all. This movie is both cringe and sincere.

I appreciate how it expands the lore of Zion into I/O and that there are
machine collaborators in the synthetes (synthietes?)
because that's a dope, hopeful way to reframe our relationship to tech. But idk that I liked its self-referential pats on the back. I knew to expect some of that from the marketing materials but it didn't play psychological or related to "Thomas Anderson" to me so much as Lana venting. 
All three screenwriters are to blame, I guess, for all the franchise-referential ish

Which is interesting itself considering how much
suicide imagery
is sprinkled throughout. Feels like a missed opportunity for "Thomas Anderson" to feel like a toxic chain for Neo.

Never thought I would end up vibing with The French Dispatch more than M4trix but, here we are. I did however enjoy all the 8s in the production design and seeing the Sense8 cast in cyberpunk fits.

Yes

Cringe and sincere has been the Wachowskis for last decade or so. I think the film is very interesting in dealing with the appropriation of the matrix and how identity and authorship will continue to be oppressed. The White Rabbit montage is a rush. She didn't seem as inspired with the action however, but the shutter stock bullet time was kinda cool.

WorldForgot

Sense8 and Jupiter Ascending are super fun. Cloud Atlas I haven't attempted to rewatch since that first watch in the theater.

Yes

When I saw Cloud Atlas in theaters, as end credits rolled the woman next to me said "It was just starting to get good"

Jeremy Blackman

SPOILERS

I'm not finished, but I had to coalesce some of my thoughts from the shoutbox. The central 4 performances are impressive. Jessica Henwick effortlessly sells every line. But this movie also has one of the worst performances I've ever seen in any medium: Niobe, played by Jada Pinkett Smith and seven layers of old age makeup. I did not expect a double down of Cloud Atlas. This character is a Fallout NPC. The quivering wise old lady voice, the rickety old person movements... it's unbearable. Excruciating. I physically can't make it through her scenes.