Better Call Saul

Started by Kal, September 11, 2013, 04:29:39 PM

Drenk

The pacing of the last two episodes has been questionable. A lot of repetition of bits that were overlong last week. Don't get me wrong, they could craft a thrilling scene of a person cooking pasta or doing their laces, so I'm still entertained—but I can taste filler and wonder what's coming. More filler until a few episodes are left?
Ascension.

Jeremy Blackman

That's the thing. I wouldn't call it filler. I think the teasing IS the narrative.
Living life big time

Drenk

That was definitely the excuse in the writing room.
Ascension.

Jeremy Blackman

Right. We had at least one ostensible payoff this episode, but it didn't really feel that way. It just set up something new. And I'm still hooked.

Spoiler: ShowHide
Referring to the Howard plot. Strangely, I can't even remember how their beef started. Was it something about Chuck? Or he mistreated Kim in some way, right? I don't know. It feels like a cat-and-mouse thing that's just there to synchronize with the cartel plot.
Living life big time

Drenk

My issue is that:

Spoiler: ShowHide
I don't care about Gus. I don't. There was a five minutes scene of Gus being stressed out early in Ep 5 and I was thinking: Is that it? Nothing new, no nuance: just Gus being scared and us waiting with the characters for something to happen. But I'm not invested in Gus, and even if I didn't know about his fate in Breaking Bad, I wouldn't care about his safety. This is why the tension feels hollow to me.

I loved Nacho, and I realize how important he was for that show; it's when Nacho and Mike started to interact that I started to love the mob dimension of the series. What happened made narrative sense. But I wish they'd repeated Nacho avoiding the Salamancas for a little longer if they intended to stall.

I've also no idea why Jimmy is upset at Howard. I'm not sure I care either. Not a good sign if I have to watch a YouTube recap to understand what's going between them. Or why it even matters.
Ascension.

Drenk

Quote from: Drenk on May 11, 2022, 12:57:14 AMDon't get me wrong, they could craft a thrilling scene of a person cooking pasta or doing their laces, so I'm still entertained—but I can taste filler.

This week, fancy three minutes montage of somebody making coffee.
Ascension.