Help: Pulp Fiction Published Screenplay Variants.

Started by socketlevel, October 22, 2009, 03:53:33 PM

socketlevel

Recently I've been selling off all my Cd's as they are quickly becoming obsolete and have gotten into collecting screenplays again.

I remember when i was in high school the very first screenplay i ever bought was pulp fiction; like everyone else at that time.  one thing i did notice after anally going through every single word of the script was that different printings of the screenplay seemed to have different cut scenes added.  the printing i have is the "first American edition" put out by hyperion/mirimax books which for example doesn't have the cut scene with Vincent telling Lance about how he got wrong directions on purpose by a bystander (it was during the scene right before he shoots up and talks about how someone keyed his car).  

This is interesting because that was a deleted scene on the DVD, so it was actually shot yet not included in my print of the screenplay.  While in school i took a screenwriting class and my teacher had a copy of the script too. I think it was an earlier printing of it, maybe a Faber and Faber or some other British version.  It was the same size screenplay as my pulp fiction (the size that all of tarantino scripts are printed on), it had the same classic poster image of uma, but i think it also had the festival leafs below the title mentioning the palm d'or win.  This printing, has the "wrong direction" scene in it, yet interestingly doesn't have some of the other stuff that my version includes. I can't remember which off hand.

so it's like two different incomplete scripts are known to exist, which further makes me bewildered by the whole mess.

So my question is: does anyone know if there is a published version of the script has all of the material included? Or a second best answer would be, how can i find this elusive version that i borrowed from my English teacher way back when? It seems that most printings I've ever seen are the version that i have, or a different sized variant with the exact same material in it (IE. the miniature sight and sound version)

This is a total nerdy post, i hope i wasn't confusing.  if anyone knows, I'd love the help.

thanks

-sl-
the one last hit that spent you...

picolas

i've SEEN that scene! i saw it on tv a loooong time ago.. may have been on bravo..

MacGuffin

Quote from: socketlevel on October 22, 2009, 03:53:33 PMWhile in school i took a screenwriting class and my teacher had a copy of the script too. I think it was an earlier printing of it, maybe a Faber and Faber or some other British version.  It was the same size screenplay as my pulp fiction (the size that all of tarantino scripts are printed on), it had the same classic poster image of uma, but i think it also had the festival leafs below the title mentioning the palm d'or win.  This printing, has the "wrong direction" scene in it, yet interestingly doesn't have some of the other stuff that my version includes. I can't remember which off hand.

This is the version I have. It's a first edition Miramax Hyperion. What I noticed about the copy I have and the editions afterwards is mine looks like the typed screenplay (like the Boogie Nights script book), like it was typed on a typewriter. The further editions I have seen have a different font, and I think have pictures (like the Jackie Brown script book). I never bothered reading through those because I just thought they were the same and I liked mine better because it was like a copy of the shooting script.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

socketlevel

ah i see! Mac i think you and I have the same book. and i do remember the "elusive version" having a rougher paper quality, closer to newspaper stock. I also remember the currior/typewriter font you mention as well. so we must be talking about that same book too! so maybe the book my teacher had was this later print you mention. although, i'm inclined to think otherwise because the other subsequent prints (like the sight and sound/TOTAL FILM bonus mini books i mentioned before) are of our version. It would make sense that they would be of the later version of the book, but if ours came first then they're not.

i really want to get to the bottom of this.

socketlevel

Quote from: picolas on October 22, 2009, 05:01:11 PM
i've SEEN that scene! i saw it on tv a loooong time ago.. may have been on bravo..

yep it's an extended scene on the dvd if i'm not mistaken as well.