name the most obscure movie you have seen

Started by pete, April 19, 2004, 10:06:13 PM

pete

let the one-upsmanship begin!

Pass the Ammo: a satire starring Tim Curry and Bill Paxton about militants taking over a televised evangelical meeting, only to be exploited by the sleazy conman preacher.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

Find Your Magali

Early zombie silliness from the director of Porky's, A Christmas Story and Baby Geniuses..... it's.....

"Children Shouldn't Play With Dead Things"

RegularKarate

Quote from: pete
Pass the Ammo: a satire starring Tim Curry and Bill Paxton about militants taking over a televised evangelical meeting, only to be exploited by the sleazy conman preacher.

Saw it... I was tricked (years ago).. because it's a movie from "The CoHen brothers"

El Duderino

i saw this when i was like 12 after my friend's bar mitzvah and was scarred for life:
Did I just get cock-blocked by Bob Saget?

Jeremy Blackman

The Sea That Thinks. I saw it at a film festival, and it's unfortunately only available in PAL. Great movie.

http://xixax.com/viewtopic.php?t=5363

mutinyco

If I told anybody it wouldn't be obscure anymore.
"I believe in this, and it's been tested by research: he who fucks nuns will later join the church."

-St. Joe

Ghostboy

Do Troma films really count as obscure? I've seen both of the ones posted here. You were only 12 when you saw Terror Firmer, Duderino? Jesus, I feel old. JB, I really want to see your pick.

My selection, which gave me nightmares when I was younger when I would watch it on TV on Saturday afternoons:

Raikus

The 17th Man.

Great film produced for a film thesis.
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free, silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands, with all memory and fate driven deep beneath the waves, let me forget about today until tomorrow.

soixante

Angel City by Jon Jost from 1978.  It is a satire of the film noir genre, but it also features a continuous helicopter shot of the Hollywood Hills that goes on for 8 minutes, and there is also a continuous shot from inside a guy's car driving down the freeway with different radio channels playing.  So that's where Van Sant got his ideas for Gerry.

Reflections of Evil is a cool film.

How about Wavelength by Michael Snow, from the early 70's, which supposedly was a huge influence on The Shining (the whole film is simply a very, very slow zoom in across a room to a photograph).
Music is your best entertainment value.

cine

I would name I Jodorowsky film right now, but I haven't seen them yet.  :cry:

Quote from: CinephileI would name I Jodorowsky film right now, but I haven't seen them yet.  :cry:

I sadly second that, although I've read one of his books and it was very optimistic.
context, context, context.

Redlum

Billions for Boris
(aka A Billion for Boris)

Only 'known' apparently is an early Seth Green. I watched it when I was very young and had a habit of recording every movie I couldn't stay up late enough to watch.
\"I wanted to make a film for kids, something that would present them with a kind of elementary morality. Because nowadays nobody bothers to tell those kids, \'Hey, this is right and this is wrong\'.\"
  -  George Lucas

SoNowThen

As I Was Moving Ahead Occasionally I Saw Brief Glimpses of Beauty by Jonas Mekas, co-founder of Film Culture magazine. 5 hour long assembly of his 16mm home movies.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

pete

Quote from: soixanteAngel City by Jon Jost from 1978.  It is a satire of the film noir genre, but it also features a continuous helicopter shot of the Hollywood Hills that goes on for 8 minutes, and there is also a continuous shot from inside a guy's car driving down the freeway with different radio channels playing.  So that's where Van Sant got his ideas for Gerry.

Reflections of Evil is a cool film.

How about Wavelength by Michael Snow, from the early 70's, which supposedly was a huge influence on The Shining (the whole film is simply a very, very slow zoom in across a room to a photograph).

I ate with Jon Jost last year when he came by my school to screen his latest works.  He's a very cynical but friendly fella.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton