Cannes 2004

Started by MacGuffin, February 20, 2004, 12:52:17 PM

MacGuffin

Latest Almodovar Film to Kick Off Cannes  

PARIS - The 1960s love tale "Bad Education," the latest movie from Spanish director Pedro Almodovar, will open the Cannes Film Festival in May, organizers said Friday.

"Opening the Cannes festival marks the peak of the honeymoon that I've been living with the French public for years," Almodovar said in a statement issued by the festival's organizers.

The movie tells the story of two boys and a priest in a Roman Catholic school in Spain in the 1960s, who are then reunited about a decade later.

"Bad Education" will kick off the 57th annual festival on May 12, but it is not yet clear whether it will be in the competition. American director Quentin Tarantino heads this year's jury.

Almodovar's "All About My Mother," starring Penelope Cruz, won best directing honors at Cannes in 1999.

The festival will run May 12-23
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

bonanzataz

i've always wondered how they can get past the language barrier at the film festivals. do the films have english subtitles or french subtitles? if in french, how will quentin judge the film?
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

©brad

i would assume that all films have to have english subtitles, seeing as how english is really the most important language.

if bad education is even half as good as talk to her i'll be happy.

Kal

I'll be going!! woohoo :)

Festival lineup promises Cannes laughter

Official selection steers away from previous years' controversy and places Shrek 2 in competition

Long revered as the bastion of serious, heavyweight cinema, the Cannes film festival looks set to lighten up this year with a lineup sprinkled with more comedies than ever before.
Among the 18 films competing for the 2004 Palme d'Or are the Coen brothers' remake of The Ladykillers, the DreamWorks animation Shrek 2 and - more tangentially - The Life and Death of Peter Sellers, Stephen Hopkins' biopic of the legendary British comic. Terry Zwigoff's scatological Bad Santa is also screening out of competition.

Discussing the lineup, festival chief Thierry Fremaux hailed it as "an affirmation for comedy." He added: "During the past few years, fiction film-making has sought to redefine the formal boundaries and quite often took radical turns that disturbed the general public. That is not true for the films presented in 2004."

Elsewhere, the festival provides less laugh-a-minute fare. Other prime contenders for the Palme d'Or are Walter Salles's The Motorcycle Diaries, Wong Kar Wai's 2046, Emir Kusturica's Life is a Miracle and Olivier Assayas's Clean. Controversy is likely to come courtesy of Michael Moore's documentary Fahrenheit 9-11.

Other highlights include the world premiere of Troy, and the return of octogenarian Senegalese film-maker Ousmane Sembene, whose film Moolaade is competing in the Un Certain Regard section.

The 2004 Cannes film festival opens on May 13 with the premiere of Pedro Almodóvar's Bad Education and closes May 23 with Irwin Winkler's Cole Porter biopic DeLovely. This year's jury president will be Quentin Tarantino, whose Kill Bill: Volume 2 will be screening out of competition.
context, context, context.

mutinyco

I believe all films must have copies available with both French and English subtitles. Those are traditionally the 2 languages of the festival. They screen for both.
"I believe in this, and it's been tested by research: he who fucks nuns will later join the church."

-St. Joe

modage

Quote from: cronopio inrockuptibleFestival lineup promises Cannes laughter

Among the 18 films competing for the 2004 Palme d'Or are the Coen brothers' remake of The Ladykillers, and Terry Zwigoff's scatological Bad Santa is also screening out of competition.
look for your laughs elsewhere canne-adians.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

El Duderino

bad santa was funny...
Did I just get cock-blocked by Bob Saget?

Weak2ndAct

Egads!  'Old Boy' is in competition!  I want to see this so friggin' bad it makes my head hurt.

cine

SoNowThen

Godard's new movie is showing.

So that, and the Wong Kar Wai, are all that matters.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

godardian

Quote from: SoNowThenGodard's new movie is showing.

So that, and the Won Kar Wai, are all that matters.

Somehow, your not being an Almodovar fan doesn't shock me.  :)  I, however, would put him right up there with (at least in the vicinity of) the other two. Pauline Kael called him "first-rank," "the most original pop writer-director of the eighties," and "Godard with a human face," one of the few times I can unequivocally agree with Kael (Brian de Palma being my other notable Kael concurrence).
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

SoNowThen

Quote from: godardian

Somehow, your not being an Almodovar fan doesn't shock me.  :)  I, however, would put him right up there with (at least in the vicinity of) the other two. Pauline Kael called him "first-rank," "the most original pop writer-director of the eighties," and "Godard with a human face," one of the few times I can unequivocally agree with Kael (Brian de Palma being my other notable Kael concurrence).

Many of you will find this really ignorant, but I just can't help it... this is the reason why I won't watch Almodovar:

compare his actions at the Golden Globes with Scorsese. Pedro goes up and imo talks a bunch of bullshit, trying to push a cause. Marty goes up and thanks who he gotta thank, says some nice things about cinema, and sits down. Class. The former exactly what I hate most about art-house filmmakers. The latter what I strive to be like.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

godardian

Quote from: SoNowThen
Quote from: godardian

Many of you will find this really ignorant, but I just can't help it... this is the reason why I won't watch Almodovar:

compare his actions at the Golden Globes with Scorsese. Pedro goes up and imo talks a bunch of bullshit, trying to push a cause. Marty goes up and thanks who he gotta thank, says some nice things about cinema, and sits down. Class. The former exactly what I hate most about art-house filmmakers. The latter what I strive to be like.

I notice that you didn't say anything about the films, though. Following your logic, I would absolutely despise Tarantino. But I don't; I find him a really annoying person and a very gifted filmmaker.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

cine

Quote from: SoNowThenThe latter what I strive to be like.
You could start up a Snake Awareness Fund with the type of films you're aspiring to make.  :wink: