The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers

Started by Gold Trumpet, January 08, 2003, 05:38:50 PM

Gold Trumpet

It must be known I didn't care for the first, which is basically saying I didn't care for this one either.

The basic gist I got from this movie is that there was a story going on for two hours but that turned out for the last 15 minutes to only result in a 20 minute major battle. How inventive. The movie went nowhere the entire time and seemingly with no purpose. I saw more shots of people suiting up for battle than themes of the book being spoken or shown, well, I didn't see it ever shown. Frodo continues his quest but by the end is basically thrown to where he was at the beginning of the movie and the movie has some of the most uncreative and effective special effects ever. I couldn't really get involved in being in the world when I could never even believe it at all because the special effects screamed computer all over it. At least with the Matrix it made a very good attempt at not showing its computer-ness. This is a movie that has been hacked to death from a book only for the purpose of bringing out all the action it has. The next logical thing would be to adapt the Bible into an adventure movie. I will say I enjoyed the last battle for the scope it wanted to achieve but that didn't give me the previous two hours of my life back.

~rougerum

Jake_82

I didn't think it was as bad as you said-- the special effects, while at most times obvious, were much much better than other special effects movies like Harry Potter where everything looked like a scene out of Bryce. Also, I thought Gollum was one of the most realistic looking computer animated characters yet, and although the story didn't develop much, I liked it better than the first one which at times dragged on for long periods.
your reality is at the end of your dream

Redlum

The Two Towers was always going to be the hardest to adapt because it follows no conventional story arc. Effectively it does go nowhere, so as with the books, it cannot be viewed without the context of the first and last parts of the story. Only a back to back viewing of all three films for nine hours could give you a real perpspective on the film.

I really enjoyed it, although not as much as FOTR and I think it would have benefited from spending more time with the Sam/Frodo/Gollum thread of the story.

Thoughts on Andy Serkis for a supporting actor nomination?
\"I wanted to make a film for kids, something that would present them with a kind of elementary morality. Because nowadays nobody bothers to tell those kids, \'Hey, this is right and this is wrong\'.\"
  -  George Lucas

Tiff

I saw this movie last night and after an hour into it, all I could think of was the amount of makeup applied to these guys and how pretty the old guy's hair was...my fault? I think not. I'd like to blame it all on the New Zealand director that has ruined everything about this story. Also, why was it necessary to make the supposedly manly men look feminine? Why does Peter Jackson have to ruin everything?!
"Shut the fuck up!"

Satcho9

Funny Story about Lord of the RIngs:

Before I saw Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the ring with my buds last year we decided to eat some mushrooms before we went. And that we did, when they kicked in we went to the theatre. This theatre couldnt have been more uncomfortable, the seats only came up to your mid back and no leg room at all. There was a fat kid in front of me who was crushing my legs. Midway through the film my friend starts to bug out and he vomits all over the person in front of him. Me and my other friend we begin laughing histerically and everyone was pissed at us and was telling us to shut up. Everyone in the theatre was watching the scene we had created instead of the movie.  We decided that this movie sucked major penis, so we told them that and a few of them left to get the manager while we slipped out the fire exit setting off the alarm and the whole theatre had to be evacuated. We thought we were king shit until we realized that we were missing our other friend and that we didnt remember where we parked. So we had to hide while the fire department came and we were bugging out pretty much.

The moral: Dont see shitty ass science fiction films on mushrooms.

Tiff

"Shut the fuck up!"

Satcho9

He rode the fire truck to the hospital where he inturn ran away.

Xixax

Quote from: Pas RapportI don't need a dick in my anus to know I absolutely don't want a dick in my anus.
[/size]

©brad

I thought it was great, so so fun. I really don't know why it is called The Two Towers though, because in its 3 hour running time it really never even shows them. I heard that Tolkien himself didn't know why it was called The Two Towers.

But man, that last 30 min. battle scene was amazing man, good good stuff.

ElPandaRoyal

Let's get ready to rumble... ok, i did enjoy the first movie but not to the point of calling it a masterpiece. I really enjoyed the look and the feel of it. "The Two Towers", well, it didn't give anything really new when comparing to the first one. Ok, it shouldn't really do that, because it's supposed to be a loooong nine hour film, when it's all over, but, I really didn't care about what happened in this one. And personally, I thought that the last 30 minutes bored me, because it interweaved [spelling] a great battle (in the castle) with two others who didn't have half the interessest the first one did. Well, at least that's the way I felt about the whole thing.
Si

Xixax

Let's face it. That's a pretty daunting task - trying to make this movie series.

Again, I'll take up for Jackson because I think he has done a wonderful job of the project. I am a little curious, however, at how he got the gig to begin with. His resume doesn't reek of blockbuster. I would think that perhaps New Line would have gotten someone more, shall we say, "seasoned" because of the sheer scope of the projects.

However, that being said, I again reaffirm my belief that Peter Jackson was not only up to the massive undertaking, but also did a fine job of it. If there was ever an opportunity to prove oneself, the LOTR trilogy would be it, and I believe Peter Jackson has done just that.
Quote from: Pas RapportI don't need a dick in my anus to know I absolutely don't want a dick in my anus.
[/size]

©brad

Agreed. He was faced with many obstacles, the comic book-turn movie syndrome of making a film that appeals to both the hardcore fans and the general mainstream audience. He has done a masterful job, you can't knock him.

My only beef with TTT- towards the end, Frodo and Sam are talking to eachother, it gets a little, uhh, un-heterosexual like. At one point I really wanted them to kiss for some reason.

Xixax

[/size]

©brad

LOL. I knew I wasn't the only one that thought they were about to see some furry gay hobitt sex towards the end of TTT.

RegularKarate

I loved it... I loved the first one more... I'm not ashamed to admit it... whatever... I don't get a lot of people who don't like these films really.  I think a lot of them are just speaking out against them because they're afraid of seeming mainstream (NOTE: I don't mean everyone here, I'm just talking in general).

Saying that the special effects weren't good is a ridiculous statement... Gallum was the most amazing leap in CG textures... looked like actual flesh.

I will continue to be a supporter of this trilogy.

Peter Jackson got this project because he dedicated himself to getting this project.