Kill Bill: Volume One

Started by Satcho9, January 19, 2003, 10:18:06 PM

modage

Quote from: The Gold TrumpetI don't believe The Bride as a character of depth. I'm arguing for who would be best for the role in line of the genre requirements and with my points, I'd take Jolie. Thurman is fine, though.

if i have to hear you talk about genre requirements one more time i'm gonna shit my pants.  
if all this acting can be simply boiled down to 'emoting through the face' what the fuck are you talking about?
and like i said before, if the precious stanley kauffman doesnt find anything wrong with her performance, why does he need to say that 'anyone' could do it?
also, jolie would have sucked....hard.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: The Gold TrumpetI'd like to hear why you think that. I think nearly the opposite. My idea is that Thurman's character conveys an emotional situation worthy of any drama, but is just for an endless exploitation of action sequences and what not.

Didn't you complain about the lack of action sequences? Did you not say that the first part of the movie was "boring"? There's a lot of drama there. You complained that there was not enough action all the way through, and now you're complaining that the action is "endless"?

Quote from: The Gold TrumpetTarantino's character of the most emotional depth is Pam Grier as Jackie Brown. Thats a movie where he turned a exploitation film around and did make it into a drama of substance, at least.

I think I agree with you there. But that's kind of Elmore Leonard's character, isn't it? Kind of. (Has anyone read the book?)

Alethia

Quote from: Jeremy Blackman
Quote from: The Gold TrumpetI'd like to hear why you think that. I think nearly the opposite. My idea is that Thurman's character conveys an emotional situation worthy of any drama, but is just for an endless exploitation of action sequences and what not.

Didn't you complain about the lack of action sequences? Did you not say that the first part of the movie was "boring"? There's a lot of drama there. You complained that there was not enough action all the way through, and now you're complaining that the action is "endless"?

Quote from: The Gold TrumpetTarantino's character of the most emotional depth is Pam Grier as Jackie Brown. Thats a movie where he turned a exploitation film around and did make it into a drama of substance, at least.

I think I agree with you there. But that's kind of Elmore Leonard's character, isn't it? Kind of. (Has anyone read the book?)

i think tarantino may have added just a touch more by making her black, know what i mean?   but then again, he did only do that becuz pam grier is black.

Gold Trumpet

Nope. I even checked all my postings of review for this movie, too. My criticism of the movie was a tonal issue. I said nothing about the movie being bad for lack of action sequences or anything like that. The closest I came to it was that I said everything in the movie was really just there for kick ass action and thats it.

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: The Gold TrumpetNope. I even checked all my postings of review for this movie, too. My criticism of the movie was a tonal issue. I said nothing about the movie being bad for lack of action sequences or anything like that. The closest I came to it was that I said everything in the movie was really just there for kick ass action and thats it.

You said the first part of the movie doesn't have enough action. You thought it was boring. Am I wrong?

Gold Trumpet

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: The Gold TrumpetIts just much of the beginning is so off weight to the rest that it hurts the film. Of all things to complain about the film, I complain about that. I do think a necessary build up to Uma Thurman losing her kid, husband and nearly herself is required for build up to the action, but the USA/Japan difference of action is way too off setting.

Newtron

Oh why don't you two just sleep together and get it over with.

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: NewtronOh why don't you two just sleep together and get it over with.

I guess you're right. GT, why don't you PM me.

©brad

if anyone is having cyber xixax sex its meeeeeeeeeeeeee! u hear?? so..um, picolas, whenever ur ready...

SHAFTR

I'll jump in with my 2 cents.

I have heard a few other complaints about Uma Thurman in that role.  One of my friends said that he just plain doesn't like Uma, but I think that is something about her career, not the role.

I also thought The Bride had a lot of emotional depth.  The scene when she noticed her baby was gone (when she wakes up in the hospital), that was highly emotional, and for me very moving, I don't see many actresses in Hollywood pulling that off.

I loved Kill Bill, but the one thing that makes the film unsettling for many is that at times it is a clearcut action film, and at other times tense, emotional currents are created (opening scene, Uma's baby, Oren's backstory).  They conflict very much (action vs emotion) but somehow it worked for me in this film.  Often times it doesn't in movies.

I haven't seen either Gia or Girl, Interupted so the best role Jolie ever had in my mind is Hackers and that isn't saying much.  I don't see her pulling this film off, I see her looking as silly as she did in Tomb Raider.  Uma pulled off an emotional, action film and looked cool doing it (important in a QT film).  I don't think it's fair to even say anyone could have done that.
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

brockly

Quote from: SHAFTRI'll jump in with my 2 cents.

I have heard a few other complaints about Uma Thurman in that role.  One of my friends said that he just plain doesn't like Uma, but I think that is something about her career, not the role.

I also thought The Bride had a lot of emotional depth.  The scene when she noticed her baby was gone (when she wakes up in the hospital), that was highly emotional, and for me very moving, I don't see many actresses in Hollywood pulling that off.

I loved Kill Bill, but the one thing that makes the film unsettling for many is that at times it is a clearcut action film, and at other times tense, emotional currents are created (opening scene, Uma's baby, Oren's backstory).  They conflict very much (action vs emotion) but somehow it worked for me in this film.  Often times it doesn't in movies.

I haven't seen either Gia or Girl, Interupted so the best role Jolie ever had in my mind is Hackers and that isn't saying much.  I don't see her pulling this film off, I see her looking as silly as she did in Tomb Raider.  Uma pulled off an emotional, action film and looked cool doing it (important in a QT film).  I don't think it's fair to even say anyone could have done that.

i think i agree with everything you just said.

Banky

Quote from: mister misterOne thing I dont get with Kill Bill: why does sophie have that same mobile ring tone 4 years later?

thats the best thing said on this thread

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: The Gold TrumpetIts just much of the beginning is so off weight to the rest that it hurts the film. Of all things to complain about the film, I complain about that. I do think a necessary build up to Uma Thurman losing her kid, husband and nearly herself is required for build up to the action, but the USA/Japan difference of action is way too off setting.

Like I said a few posts back, my complaint was a tonal issue. I'm not arguing for more action at all in that post, but I'm saying the first part of the film matched little in feeling and tone with the second part, the part in Japan. Its just I wished much of what took place (some just discarded from the film) in the first part would have been wrapped into a story in Japan and better alligned tonally with all the great things in the film. Is this me saying that the film should have had more action? Nope. Its just I saw Tarantino at his creative best with the Japan part and think he could have delved further into it.

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: The Gold TrumpetIts just I saw Tarantino at his creative best with the Japan part and think he could have delved further into it.

Do you mean that the Japan part should have been spread to the rest of the movie?

And if you thought Tarantino is at his creative best in the Japan part, don't you mean the action?

If "the difference of action is way too offsetting," how could that be fixed? Specifically?