Inception

Started by modage, August 24, 2009, 10:21:41 AM

Gamblour.

I didn't read it as calling him 'dim' and I actually think they were working in a technical part of his refusal, the dim lightbulbs. But anyway, yes bad headline. Love that Nolan doesn't like 3d but not so crazy about his willingness to roll over to studio's zeitgeisty greedy use of it. He should be setting the standard for what makes money for studios, not subscribing to execs' every avaricious whim.
WWPTAD?

modage

I saw it.  THE HYPE IS REAL.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

picolas

Stefen

Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Gold Trumpet

It's official, I can no longer look at this thread until I see the movie. Mod saw it and he loved it and I will not be able to stand the expectation and hype. I see enough commercials for the movie anyways.

Stefen

Let's all talk bad about GT.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

modage

The best advice I can give everyone is to clear those comparisons out of your mind before you go.  If you sat in Blade Runner in 1982 thinking how it was supposed to be 2001, but wasn't you'd probably be disappointed that it was something else.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Sleepless

Inception is the cover article on the current issue of Creative Screenwriting. GT, all you had to do was hit the C key a few times and everything would have been fine.
He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.

polkablues

Armond White didn't like it, which means there is a 100% certainty that it's excellent.  Keep in mind, Armond White was the guy who gave Toy Story 3 it's first negative review, and is generally speaking a retarded child who has terrible taste and uses big words without knowing what they mean.

Thanks to the magic of the internet, here's a chart of movies that Armond liked and disliked:
My house, my rules, my coffee

JG

had lots of problems with it, but the last hour or so is pretty awesome. ITS A GOOD MOVIE.

RegularKarate

It's pretty great.

I love dream logic and I found this surprisingly easy to follow.  It manages to convince you to just buy it all.  A kind of complex logic is introduced and you're just like "okay, that's how that works, let's go".

I'll need to see it again soon for sure.  Mostly because I just want to, but also because there was a guy in the theater who had a seizure.  That was fucking distracting as I couldn't stop worrying about him until we knew he would be alright.

I'll leave my spoiler out until more have seen it, but I really only had one complaint and it's not a big one.

See this.  It's NOT Batman, but see it.

I Love a Magician

spoilers

only thing that i saw as a weakness in the film was a lack of imagination in the dream sequences. of course there's plenty of imagination in all the plotting and this and that, but the dreams themselves are very staid and seemingly grounded in reality (which i suppose is explained by the landscape of the dreams being actually constructed and laid out by an architect).

i've only got my own dreams to go on, but nothing ever goes in such a linear fashion as things go in the movie. in the film, one thing leads to another, things don't appear/disappear for no reason, everything works the way it's supposed to, etc., and that's just not how i've experienced dreams. the sopranos dream sequences (particularly the long one in the episode "the test dream") handle these things about as well as possible in this format. i'm thinking particularly of tony trying to put bullets in his gun only to have the bullets turn to mush in his fingers and a scene with his daughter and her fiance at a dinner party, annette benning is there for some reason and for a moment the fiance is actually AJ, tony's son, before it's the fiance again. none of this strange, loopy, dreamlike stuff happens, unless someone wills it to happen (such as the ellen page character having the city fold in on itself), or an outside force changes the way the dreamer perceives things (gravity after the van backs off the bridge).

the exception is leo's character, whose subconscious does leak into the dream sequences, with his wife and children appearing over and over, and the wife even involving herself in the action. but why is it only leo's subconscious having an effect? why doesn't joseph gordon levitt's peak in and fuck things up?

i wasn't bothered by any of this during the movie, but it'd be Cool if someone could tell me what they think

squints

Spoils?

Holy fucking shit i loved this. So many levels of tension on so many different levels of reality. Nuts.

Iloveamagician...

I thought the same thing but then i just decided that it was the nature of the machine itself, like, they have more control of the weird things that happen in dreams because its not completely natural..but i dunno. what i do know is that this was fucking awesome. its been so so so long since i've gone into a theater expecting a great movie and being treated to a great movie. so refreshing.
"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

RegularKarate

SPOILERS

Okay, I"ll touch on some spoilery stuff.

ILaM, I was really fine with the way the majority of the dream-world was so realistic.  The only way the unnatural is going to really stand out is if the world surrounding it is natural.  If everything is nutty, crazy, dreamlike, we're not really going to notice the cool subtleties built into the dreams.

As far as Leo's subconscious goes, I think they're all pros.  They're there for a reason.  Leo is breaking, he's lost control.