Untitled Paul Thomas Anderson (10th feature, TBA)

Started by Montclair, September 21, 2021, 09:35:17 PM

Lots of Bees

Quote from: jzakko on January 29, 2024, 10:20:30 PMIs that not Mike Bauman in the striped shirt and Colin Anderson operating camera in these pictures?

Indicates he's working with his usual people?
Lol I think it is...
Rupert are we getting trolled

kingfan011

I definitely thought that wa Colin operating the camera but I assumed I was wrong.

Next Planet Over

(( :waving: can confirm through a separate source Unforgiven was indeed screened for the cast/crew so the intel provided is probably worth considering :salute:  ))

Scrooby

Quote from: max from fearless on January 14, 2024, 08:51:35 AMalways appreciated

You're welcome, kind Max.

Unforgiven . . .

Why did Scroob originally speculate on Revenger's Tragedy?

Because Phantom Thread is a miraculous channeling of Sophocles. And since sophisticated Sophocles is in a direct line to sophisticated Seneca . . .

It just makes natural sense.

Also, many Elizabethan revenge tragedies have a social element to them; that is to say, the genre was used to comment on the dystopic conditions of the time.

"Who would not lie when men are hang'd for truth?"

Fitzroy

It's probably been mentioned more eloquently than I can muster, but this feeling of "what the hell is this movie?" that is prevalent right the way to at least the release of the trailer (with surprises abound in the films themselves) is really rare these days and seems pretty unique to PTA and the secrecy surrounding the rollout of his projects.

I'm being a little harsh, but you more or less know what you're in for with "Nolan's Oppenheimer" or "Tarantino's 60s Hollywood movie" or "Wes' French omnibus movie".

If I think back to all the PTA movies I've looked forward to prior to release, from TWBB onwards, each little drop of info we get seems to confound the last and yet all the elements are usually present in the final film (just not necessarily in the way we anticipated). It's remarkable.

WorldForgot

Remember when Beau is Afraid was going to be about a man turning into a Praying Mantis

RudyBlatnoyd

With that hat on, Leo looks even more like middle-aged Jack Nicholson than usual; it's very One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest.

This already seems like the wildest project of PTA's career.

Find Your Magali

Zero worries about the movie itself but very concerned for PTA's future financing if this big swing doesn't make some coin.

RudyBlatnoyd

I can't really see it being a big hit, even with DiCaprio. PTA's sensibility and instincts are just too peculiar for mainstream tastes. I can't believe he's suddenly going to turn into Steven Spielberg or Chris Nolan, even if this is a change-up from his usual material.

I rather doubt his career is on the line though. If it 'flops' at the box office, he may never get the chance to pull off something on this scale again, but there'll still be plenty of famous actors and boutique studios out there who want to make a more modestly-budgeted movie with him.

jviness02

After The Master and Inherent Vice consecutively were considered big financial misses, the worry that PTA would struggle to get financial backing definitely creeped into my head, but Phantom Thread did solid financially and Licorice Pizza was considered a success in the early "post-pandemic" Box Office where Spider-Man was one of the few movies to actually make a profit.

For this particular movie, I think the Leo factor is being underrated because KOTM wasn't a huge hit. KOTM was a 3.5 hour crime drama about genocide and it made $156 million dollars. That's a nice box office haul for that kind of movie. The reason it's not considered a box office success is because the film cost $200 million, which is double what this new PTA film supposedly costs. Scorsese and DeNiro helped in some fashion(look at SILENCE's Box Office though lol), but that movie made $150 million pretty much because of Leo. I also think KOTM's runtime cost it some box office, as well. For how much PTA likes to bring up his regrets about Magnolia's runtime, I doubt that will be an issue, here. So you have a film that is half the budget with a more popular length of runtime. If the budget really is $100 Million, eight out of Leo's last nine theatrically released movies have made at least $150 million, with seven of those eight making $290 million or more. His last movie not to make at least $150 million was J. Edgar in 2011. I'm not saying this will be a HUGE hit, (I think PTA's inherent obtuseness will prevent that), but I do believe Leo should be enough to avoid this from being a career altering flop.

Thegreatrupert

I would take everything about it with a grain of salt until it comes out. Everything I've been privy to on previous movies definitely changed significantly during shooting and most significantly during editing. While he may have less expressionistic leeway on a cut of something this expensive my guess is it'll not really be like anything that is being speculated. I was told they're going to Texas next, not sure if that's true or not.

Drill

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-13025045/leonardo-dicaprio-unrecognizable-paul-thomas-anderson-film.html

Whole set of photos and a video here. Some of you might find this to be too much and a little spoilery, so proceed with caution.