Curb Your Enthusiasm

Started by Banky, October 06, 2003, 04:47:13 PM

Pubrick

Quote from: Jeremy BlackmanThe show is so genius in concocting the most excruciatingly awkward situations, it's just so... stressful.
and at the same time a huge relief, isn't it? i just downloaded season 3 so i'm finally catching up. it's a great release for stress and tension, precisely because it revels in it. and there's plenty of humor in it, cheryl herself laughs at the crap that happens to larry. larry david must be the happiest man alive.
under the paving stones.

SoNowThen

Quote from: Jeremy BlackmanAm I the only one who finds Curb Your Enthusiasm more disturbing than it is funny? I watched episodes 1-6 (the first disc) and I'm not sure that I laughed once. The show is so genius in concocting the most excruciatingly awkward situations, it's just so... stressful. Maybe it's a personal thing, but I don't know if I can bring myself to Netflix the second disc.

Agreed. Well, maybe I'll say equally funny and disturbing. Wait'll you get to the Affirmative Action episode. Man...
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

puddnanners

i also agree with the stress and awkwardness that comes from watching episodes of CYE, especially after buying the DVD and watching a few episodes back to back...it is almost too much.  I can remeber a few instances when I was watching it on HBO and had to restrain myself from changing the channel because I felt so damn bad for the guy.  The plot device of people wrongly accusing someone of doing something and then getting really angry at them about it is something that I can't stand in movies...I guess it is just a peeve of mine.   But because CYE is so genius, and so funny, I can take it, although barely.

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: Pubrickand at the same time a huge relief, isn't it?
Perhaps in moderation. I watched 6 episodes in 2 days... maybe that's my problem.

sentury111

Curb your Entusiasm is easily the greatest show since Seinfeld.  The Rated R Version.  Watch it and revel in the absuridity.

fulty

With apologies:

When Larry gleefully uses the death of his mother as an excuse to get out of doing things.

And when he's standing on a corner, and mud splashes all over the other guy, but nothing on him, it's like a life changing miracle..!!

:lol:
Tinapop  

I used to be smart.... now I'm just stupid.

Ravi

Just a reminder to everyone:

Quote from: MacGuffinFrom Warner Home Video: Curb Your Enthusiasm: The Complete Second Season. This Emmy-winning Larry David hit will arrive in stores on June 15th and feature 4:3 full screen transfers, English, French and Spanish Dolby 2.0 stereo and subtitle tracks, and no extras. Retail will be $39.95.

pete

yes, yes, yes.

Quote from: Weak2ndAct
- Colby from 'Survivor' and a Holocaust survivor arguing who had it worse.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

shinwa

Run until you puke blood.
Practice until you piss blood.
- Ping Pong

Ravi

I finished the 1st season this afternoon, with only the special and the interview left to watch.  After the praise I heard from everyone I was afraid the show wouldn't live up to it, but damn, this is one funny show.  Larry is always doing or saying something that goes against the social norms that everyone supposedly knows, or he says the wrong thing to the wrong person.  It's so awkward, but you don't always feel sorry for him because sometimes its his own fault for saying something stupid.  Coincidences abound and people Larry pisses off usually know another of Larry's friends and he meets people again at inopportune times.  I love how the episodes aren't neatly wrapped up at the ends.  Onto season 2!

Pubrick

Quote from: RaviOnto season 2!
just wait till season 3.. it reaches dizzying heights of brilliance in just these moments that are stretched and twisted into sumthing wholly transcendent.. bah u'll see.

it reminds me of a Bender quote: Let's face it, Comedy is a dead art form. Now TRAGEDY, haha, that's funny.
under the paving stones.

Fernando

Quote from: Pubrickjust wait till season 3.. it reaches dizzying heights of brilliance in just these moments that are stretched and twisted into sumthing wholly transcendent.. bah u'll see.

From the third, 'Krazee-Eyez Killa' and 'The nanny from hell' were a riot, also when this Hugh character appears and Larry says to him fuck hugh fuck hugh.

Have you seen the fourth? Just don't miss The Surrogate.

Pubrick

did i say 3?? i meant fourth!!

yeah that's when it can't get any better, the blind piano player is hilarious. the surrogate is good cos wanda sykes appearance is so random but my favourite is The Survivor., the whole argument about "forever" not being part of the deal, killed me. even Gershon was alrite.

about season 3 i wanted to say the funniest moment was this coversation in The Terrorist Attack, where Larry is trying to tell Cheryl how selfish it is for her to want him to stay in town. it's so great how they stretch everything right to the most perfect length.

i hope season 5 has more cheryl & Larry interaction, 4 was lacking a bit in that.
under the paving stones.

Redlum

"I know my sources" is still way up there for me in the Larry/Cheryl department.

Sorry to just keep adding moments (but you know how it is with this show): Larry's application to the republican golf course - when he dangled his glasses from his mouth just killed me. The considered diction he uses when he tries to impress someone is just brilliant.
\"I wanted to make a film for kids, something that would present them with a kind of elementary morality. Because nowadays nobody bothers to tell those kids, \'Hey, this is right and this is wrong\'.\"
  -  George Lucas

Fernando

Quote from: Pubrickbut my favourite is The Survivor., the whole argument about "forever" not being part of the deal, killed me. even Gershon was alrite.

[Cheryl is reading a draft of her renewed wedding vows to Larry]
Cheryl: "We'll love each other throughout this lifetime, but after death through all eternity."
Larry: You mean this is... this is continuing into the afterlife?
Cheryl: Yeah, that's the idea. Do you have a problem with that?
Larry: Well, I... I thought this was over at death. I didn't know we went into eternity together. Isn't that what it said in..."'til death do us part," I thought it was...
Cheryl: Do you have a problem with eternity?
Larry: Well...
Cheryl: We finally found each other, Larry, and we're celebrating this for all eternity.
Larry: I guess I had a different plan for eternity. I thought... I thought I'd be single again.

A favorite of mine from the 1st season....

Richard: You'd better call me later on, alright? By sundown.
Larry: "By sundown"? What are you... what are you, Gary Cooper? "By sundown"? What's gonna happen?
Richard: That's funny. You know, I'm tryin' not to laugh, but that's funny.
Larry: Yeah, okay.
Richard: You better call me by sundown.
Larry: "By sundown"? Is the posse gonna come get me?

:rofl: